Zero Distortion: Dalby Record Weight

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi 108CY,

When you say the last lightweight titanium are you referring to the Pirueta.

Regards Robert

108CY

May 4, 2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If anyone wants to post me the Pirueta I will let them know in a week how it compares to the starfish and to the lignum vitae d8. And will post it back, of course

Reactions: gian60

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Deep wallets require deep talismans.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hello 108CY
I see you have the Goldmund reference unboxed and set up, are you using it with the highly strung t3f arm? how does this 30 odd year old table stack up with such as the cs port?

108CY

May 4, 2013
I have not used
Hello 108CY
I see you have the Goldmund reference unboxed and set up, are you using it with the highly strung t3f arm? how does this 30 odd year old table stack up with such as the cs port?

I have not used the Goldmund for around a year and own two of them, I also have the new Goldmund reference mk11. The Goldmund is has a very big bold plush sound it comes out of the speakers and touches the soul so to speak. The midrange has great texture not many turntables can do what it does tremendous drive. with a wonderful sense of ease. The cs port is certainly more transparent does nuance better at placing instruments but at the same time has expression not quite the plushness of the Goldmund but has a wonderful sense of energy and drive its certainly a unique listen and one of the most enjoyable turntables around today. The cs port disappears and and never nasty or hard it also has a large enveloping soundstage and has great pace at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and ddk

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I have not used

I have not used the Goldmund for around a year and own two of them, I also have the new Goldmund reference mk11. The Goldmund is has a very big bold plush sound it comes out of the speakers and touches the soul so to speak. The midrange has great texture not many turntables can do what it does tremendous drive. with a wonderful sense of ease. The cs port is certainly more transparent does nuance better at placing instruments but at the same time has expression not quite the plushness of the Goldmund but has a wonderful sense of energy and drive its certainly a unique listen and one of the most enjoyable turntables around today. The cs port disappears and and never nasty or hard it also has a large enveloping soundstage and does has great pace at the same time.

Thanks for the reply Mik, Iam quite envious you have the mk11. I have had mine now for nearly 30 years and still learning from it ! Ive had the kuzma airline mounted on it for quite a while now, its sings like never before! I could not get the T3f tamed, you know what I mean. I made up a corian armboard with sorbathene supports where you can adjust the levelling by the attached allen bolts.

Attachments

• 2807898D-5C7E-4905-88EE-7781349D687C.jpeg
    2807898D-5C7E-4905-88EE-7781349D687C.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 35

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is another guy near London, Frank (f1eng) who has the goldmund reference with his tune audio Anima. It is a pleasure to use that arm, just press it, it forwards to the track, lowers, everything at the press of a button

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
One of my big surprises is how much difference a record weight can make
i think of the vinyl as an instrument and the TT and weight give it the right tension ....l

Exactly.

That said if one thinks of a crude analogy of a TT being akin to a seismograph, then anything and everything will be transmitted. My opinion is that everything on a TT has a sound so pick the sound you prefer. The notion of absence of a colour on a TT is nonsensical to me.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yep agree
i have started making my own as I cannot afford commercial weights, but use of musical wood is important

my initial experience is lower torque TT require lighter weights and higher torque more but not in a linear sense ....

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yep agree
i have started making my own as I cannot afford commercial weights, but use of musical wood is important

my initial experience is lower torque TT require lighter weights and higher torque more but not in a linear sense ....

Same - some madness below (I lost count of the number of prototypes). The top photos are the latest iterations that sound best. I have learnt a lot during the process.
256BA528-9E69-4C0E-83BD-91C3170788EA.jpeg
15EB64F7-3223-4752-8BFF-F88B5AF6959B.jpeg

835CA291-B8B8-4994-96FE-4E56CDDFA36C.jpeg
9BBA03D6-4400-4821-9126-176B6D6993EE.jpeg
08F543FA-9593-4F45-81CD-79DDC921D2C5.jpeg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, tell us more!

Looks like fun.

Hey,

Well I have made copious listening notes of the various different timber varieties and their qualitative sound. I have also tried to see whether applying combinations of woods can lead to a hybrid type sound. I tested different mechanisms of coupling the spindle from bare wood to bearings and even a proboscis style internal clamping mech. I have tested ball bearings in combinations, locations and materials. I have tried different total weights.

I have several more ideas and concepts to test next.

Reactions: matakana and Folsom

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hey,

Well I have made copious listening notes of the various different timber varieties and their qualitative sound. I have also tried to see whether applying combinations of woods can lead to a hybrid type sound. I tested different mechanisms of coupling the spindle from bare wood to bearings and even a proboscis style internal clamping mech. I have tested ball bearings in combinations, locations and materials. I have tried different total weights.

I have several more ideas and concepts to test next.

Ah I also forgot - some internal clamp chambers too.

Reactions: Folsom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A very fun report, Kedar! Thank you!

Kedar, Bill: A whole 'nother vinyl playback variable? Record clamps -- different brands; different sounding models by the same brand?

So, after carefully setting up the turntable stand, the turntable on the stand, the tonearm on the turntable, the cartridge in the tonearm TIMES two or three or four completely separate record-playing systems TIMES two or three or four tonearms per separate record-playing system, THEN, depending on musical genre preference, mood, and alcoholic versus non-alcoholic beverage of choice, selecting which cartridge on which tonearm on which record-player, THEN selecting which phono stage to use . . . THEN adjusting VTA for the thickness of the vinyl, and THEN selecting the brand and model of record clamp?

Are we sure that being able (or required) to make a dozen different decisions before dropping the needle is fun? o_O

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, does this mean you have purchased the rest of your system and are playing music now?

I an equal opportunity audiophile. I consider many people's systems mine to play with

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing