Zero Distortion: FM Acoustics, Zellaton, Stenheim, Brinkmann

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have GammaII but with back load bass horns. They are comparable to the Beethoven. The Gammas are modular design, you can choose different bass horns sperately, while the Beethoven are more one piece. Cessaros are very well made with heavy composite material so no worry about termites. (My agent had one of the popular horns mentioned in WBF eaten by termites in his ware house. The wood they were made of also bent from moisture here in Thailand.) They are extremely heavy. My set weigh about two tons. Considerable patient, time and tuning are needed to make them sound right. I dont doubt at all when people say they sucked at show. My initial set up by Ralph himself sucked too tbh. Only after he came the second time, they become terrific.

Kind regards,
Tang

Could it be that Ralph doesn't understand how to setup his own product? If he can't get good sound at shows and didn't help you get good sound it at least begs the question...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bonzo,
Outstanding work! Great to re-read your blog.

Interesting that so many planar/ stat and also horn lovers enjoy Zellatons. What is it about the design that the typical box speaker sins that are so evident on the magicos, wilsons, focals, sonus fabers, etc., do not come across on the Zellatons?

In other words how does the box disappear? Is it the Zell driver or the enclosure, or something else?

Does anyone know what material is used in the Zellaton enclosure?

And how is the Zellaton treble? Is it "accurate"? Is it "screechy"? "Organic"? Does it integrate well?

caesar

May 30, 2010
And as for Stenheim, it's supposed to be a fairly a "high-efficiecy" speaker. One would think to drive them with a low-powered tube amp. Yet that sucked at Axpona, or at least wasn't memorable.

But seems like the guy is getting much better sound with the balsy, SS FM Acoustics.

Anyone have any insights?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And as for Stenheim, it's supposed to be a fairly a "high-efficiecy" speaker. One would think to drive them with a low-powered tube amp. Yet that sucked at Axpona, or at least wasn't memorable.

But seems like the guy is getting much better sound with the balsy, SS FM Acoustics.

Anyone have any insights?

Actually, he did mention he can drive them with his thoress. But we did with FM because at that trip I wanted to isolate as much as I can from that Zellaton system to understand what is doing what

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing