Zero distortion: linear trackers

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I am more interested in who is Chief?

And who already got their lobotomy :oops:
I had a loboxomy when I went over to panels and OB… so now I’m just mostly baffled o_O

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
They are called a prog group. I didn't think they were when I heard them.

Yes K70
Modern prog is an oxymoron… then I also never thought the mullet as mainstream hair do would return in my lifetime either :eek:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
  • Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Modern prog is an oxymoron… then I also never thought the mullet as mainstream hair do would return in my lifetime either :eek:
If you’re not actually offering anything new then it’s not really progressive…

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
If you’re not actually offering anything new then it’s not really progressive…
and not sure that it qualifies as renaissance either :eek:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
and not sure that it qualifies as renaissance either :eek:
At least that song sounded like limited guys making limited music. Would need to hear a few more tracks…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At least that song sounded like limited guys making limited music. Would need to hear a few more tracks…

I heard three and enjoyed all. Not repetitive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Separately, he had a metal armboard installed on his Vyger Indian for Da Vinci Grandezza which had a DST master. I thought it sounded so bad in comparison I didn't do a video. It is possible that was because it was all SS chain (Dagostino preamp and Koda K70) while the LT with MSL went through the Allnic 5000 phono. The DST does have a lot of detail, slam, and big stage. It is spiky, especially on large stuff, and very digital. Would like to listen on a valve system, and with the tube encoder for DST coming in. Crazy price so pointless imo

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Separately, he had a metal armboard installed on his Vyger Indian for Da Vinci Grandezza which had a DST master. I thought it sounded so bad in comparison I didn't do a video. It is possible that was because it was all SS chain (Dagostino preamp and Koda K70) while the LT with MSL went through the Allnic 5000 phono. The DST does have a lot of detail, slam, and big stage. It is spiky, especially on large stuff, and very digital. Would like to listen on a valve system, and with the tube encoder for DST coming in. Crazy price so pointless imo
K70 is a hybrid. Every time I heard those systems they sounded as you described.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I didn't find it dry.

Tang has the same recording. He can post it to see if wet through all valves.

This is one where the linear tracking table Holbo is less than 5k used, lowest model of Ikeda cart, and TAD 2402 look alike LALS from Taiwan playing on 300b.

I will also post the chaconne on harmonia mundi on this system. That way you get to compare two recordings in same system and the same record across two systems, so your query should be answered.

Across system one is high priced and one is low priced but there is definitely a lot of valve to this one to address the dry doubt

A few thousand $ pivot is good enough. Get you enough wet. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A few thousand $ pivot is good enough. Get you enough wet. :)

Thanks Tang. As always your system does the ambience great.

So now we are comparing all valves and horns to Dagostino preamp, Koda, and different speaker.

What are we looking at, with all the different variables, to see the difference in linear tracking vs pivot tracking?

I have never heard the Neumann do violin on yours so I don't know what it sounds like but this sounds more like VDH. If you record it with Neumann, we will be able to get a better understanding of the pivot.

My reason for liking LTs comes across in agility on transients, a cleanliness from note to note, better stretch on each note, and cleaner highs on violin. One of the reasons I got the part at the start of my first video is that before the first 30 seconds you hear that agility on transients.

Reactions: gian60 and Argonaut

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have never heard the Neumann do violin on yours so I don't know what it sounds like but this sounds more like VDH. If you record it with Neumann, we will be able to get a better understanding of the pivot.
So you don't hear I am missing any highs. This is playing Neumann DST with frequency only goes up to 17k. Maybe now that I said 17K, some people start to hear no high all the sudden...haha. I was worrying about the Klangflim only goes up to 17K too. But after living with Neumann I am not skeptical of the Eurodyn not delivering me enough high that I can hear.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you don't hear I am missing any highs. This is playing Neumann DST with frequency only goes up to 17k. Maybe now that I said 17K, some people start to hear no high all the sudden...haha. I was worrying about the Klangflim only goes up to 17K too. But after living with Neumann I am not skeptical of the Eurodyn not delivering me enough high that I can hear.

No I don't hear missing any highs. I did not hear violin highs missing in Stephane's Bionor either.

Your TAD does great highs, so if anything is getting chopped off, vdh will show

Can you please record that with VDH then? This Neumann sounds very different from neumann on other systems you had sent me recordings off.

Difference when you move from TAD Be to Eurodyn, I expect you to get a denser woodier tone and timbre with more flow, but would like to see difference in You are there vs they are here, see throughness, and concert hall ambience.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Continuing with Sigma MAAT, one model bigger but older, riviera preamp, NAT magma power amp (much more power than the Koda K70 in the above system, Ayon phono with NAT SUT.

From linear trackers to pivoted tangential Techdas AF2 and Thales statement with Miyajima Kansui

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tchaikovsky violin concerto

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Looks much more beautiful in person. The CS Port with Sumile on the LT, and the Durand Tosca with Lyra Atlas Lambda. Rest of the system was CS Port phono, Pilium preamp and monos, and Sonus Faber Venice, at Amadeus Audio (Ertugrul). He is the Dutch distro for CS, Durand, Pilium, Stealth.

Had nothing to compare it with, as the Audio Tekne TT is not set up at the moment, but the linearity through the midbass, the bass and extension and dynamics of the CS were amazing. Some records did well on the LT and some with the pivot. Ertugrul says he listens regularly and for him it is approx 50% each. There definitely was a case to have both. Also, the Atlas Lambda is the first Lyra I have found musical (I haven't heard the Olympos), and would love to hear the Lambda on the LT.

EADD398F-B520-409A-BF09-C4BBF30EB890.jpeg

A9E91216-0783-4329-8D9B-20F89E892388.jpeg

A3E15E5B-FCFB-4B1E-9C16-9DCB66971514.jpeg

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Looks much more beautiful in person. The CS Port with Sumile on the LT, and the Durand Tosca with Lyra Atlas Lambda. Rest of the system was CS Port phono, Pilium preamp and monos, and Sonus Faber Venice, at Amadeus Audio (Ertugrul). He is the Dutch distro for CS, Durand, Pilium, Stealth.

Had nothing to compare it with, as the Audio Tekne TT is not set up at the moment, but the linearity through the midbass, the bass and extension and dynamics of the CS were amazing. Some records did well on the LT and some with the pivot. Ertugrul says he listens regularly and for him it is approx 50% each. There definitely was a case to have both. Also, the Atlas Lambda is the first Lyra I have found musical (I haven't heard the Olympos), and would love to hear the Lambda on the LT.

View attachment 97433

View attachment 97434

View attachment 97435
How is the sound of Sumile?
Similar Opus? Do you like?
I never listen

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

View attachment 97433

View attachment 97434

View attachment 97435

Ked, why do you think each arm/cartridge combination favors different LPs and does not sound better than the other combination on all recordings? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each combination and why would they favor a particular recording? You seem to agree with Ertugrul so matching preferences or something more?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing