Zero Distortion: Visit to Rhapsody Dallas

I never really ‘Got’ this pre … A tad coloured , a tad noisey and a touch too much bloom for my taste , ymmv etc.

that’s how I have heard Kondo sound when not right. Usually with a couple of inefficient speakers or in a mixed chain

Thank you for the comprehensive and intrigue report and videos, I really enjoyed them.

Reactions: bonzo75
May I ask which mobile phone device you use, as it seems like it does a pretty amazing job!
Best wishes,
Don
iPhone 11 since august 2022, before that 8+, and even some 7+ if you go to the earlier ones.

Reactions: No Regrets
I don't know, I haven't heard M77.
The phono is really good cascode input stage and cathode follower 40db gain
The really good tubes are expensive 12ay7/ 6072as-l1600.jpg

Reactions: No Regrets
iPhone 11 since august 2022, before that 8+, and even some 7+ if you go to the earlier ones.
Thank you, Kedar! I think you do an amazing job with your videos, especially considering you are only using an iPhone and not some fancy recording device.

Thank you for your continued efforts in sharing your videos and reports. I know many here, besides just me surely enjoy them :)

Best wishes,
Don

Great write up, Kedar! The Piliums on the Diesis would have made for an excellent compare and reference point.
loved the videos!

Reactions: mtemur
This pretty much true of all SET amps.
Yes, of course except that I know a lot of people a few years ago were judging the Kaguras and even owning them with the stock tubes. Myself included. What a mistake.

Reactions: mtemur
well, that kind of gels with my thinking. The preamp is doing the main magic, and I did find more tone, control, and dynamics on the Kagura, but a bit more emotion in the Gakuoh. I do agree using Amperex, United or WE in place of the RCA possibly could have added more emotion as well in the Kagura.
To my ears the RCA 211 valves sound in combination with the Kagura’s clearly better than the GE 211 tubes.

Reactions: mtemur and Rhapsody
To my ears the RCA 211 valves sound in combination with the Kagura’s clearly better than the GE 211 tubes.
Agree 100% but in a pinch the GE's are still a whole lot better than new 211's. I use the RCA's but have some GE's as back ups.

Have only heard Kaguras in a non-optimal setting…however heard the predecessor Gakuon many times and preferred the Gahuoh by a significant margin…but your speaker needs to be sensitive and relatively easy load. I think with a very sensitive speaker (around 100dB) something like the Souga might be the one to go for…I have a good Silvercore 2A3 amp in the house and the sound with this tube is sublime.
Agree with you: I also clearly prefer the Gakuohs mk I to the Gakuons. However, the Kagura’s with top notch nos valves (and I am not only referring the 211 valves but also to the four GZ 34 tubes per amp) sound to my ears superior to the Gakuons.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab
Nice showroom and excellent report!

Reactions: bonzo75

GE and RCA are Both are better than KR. Which is better than Psvane.

Amperex, United and WE 242c will be quite better than GE and RCA. The distance between Amperex and RCA is greater than that between RCA and KR.

Reactions: Rhapsody
Great write up, Kedar! The Piliums on the Diesis would have made for an excellent compare and reference point.
loved the videos!

yes and Kaguras should be played on the Alsyvox. Next time.

Last edited:
GE and RCA are Both are better than KR. Which is better than Psvane.

Amperex, United and WE 242c will be quite better than GE and RCA. The distance between Amperex and RCA is greater than that between RCA and KR.
I remember you said so in the past and I believe you. I have a quad of Amperex 211 as well as some UN 211 valves available but … one of the four United Electronics 211 tubes is not good (anymore). However, I will definitely listen to the Amperex 211 valves in the Kagura’s in the future.

Amazing weekend with Chris. Had a good feel of all three rooms over two days to listen to he Magico M9s, Alsyvox, and the Kondo Diesis system with a compare of three Kondo amps.
Big thanks Ked, I also very much enjoyed the whole story. The engagement in the music really comes through the videos. It was especially great to hear the Kagura and Gakuoh go back to back and even more so paired up with the Diesis. As a big fan of OB horn that immediate open-ness and the unimpaired effortless free flowing lifelike characteristics really come through… especially combined with the nuance and timbral qualities of the WE 300B and the immediacy of Kondo with all silver attributes. Perhaps not so much a suspension of disbelief and more a suspension of time and space… and then there was Shostakovich as well. Most excellent and wonderful.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing