ZERO LINK: A new technology from SFORZATO and SOULNOTE in Japan (with sample WAVs)

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Mr Omata at Sforzato explained why DVI is adopted for ZERO LINK:
1. It requires many connection for ZERO LINK. DVI has 29 wires.
2. DVI is widely used in industrial and military field.
3. Easy to recognise, not to be misconnected

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Could you explain on what basis it is "better than 10 times price clock..."?? Can you give us a view of the measurements?
Well....it includes a bit sensitive issue....
I can only say that an experienced Japanese Audio critic replaced 10 times price clock generator into X-3.
The 10 times price generator has much better quality OCXO.
X-3 testified that the performance of clock generator does not rely on only quality of the device, for example 'Near-phase noise'.
Mentioning real product name results problem unfortunately.
However you would understand this if you have chance to compare X-3 with other clock generator.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
With respect I will say that SOULNOTE is definitely practiced "whole component design sums to actual performance", this is not a new concept; manufacturers like Esoteric, Cybershaft, DCS, Sforzato and others have known and have applied the thought process for years in their designs that it is more than the clock oscillator mechanism (and type thereof) that yields the best performance, lowest phase noise, best Allen Deviation & Variance and best overall effective jitter. The list of elements that are important includes everything you specified and SOULNOTE in their unit and with their partner with Sforzato on the X-3 is taking this forward in a great way! An example of this is the 45fs clock circuit they already engineer into the S-3 v2 Transport and all the attention they pay to great engineering, component-quality, power supplies, etc. inside their units; that is already a leading performance spec for an onboard clock. They take it even further with the X-3 as a separate 10 Mhz unit...

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
I can only say that an experienced Japanese Audio critic replaced 10 times price clock generator into X-3.

I see, so it's just the subjective opinion of one individual, not any objective measurement as such.

Thanks for letting us know Oda -san. :)

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
I see, so it's just the subjective opinion of one individual, not any objective measurement as such.

Thanks for letting us know Oda -san
Some other users did replace their clock generator (Cybershaft etc.) into X-3. I regret all information and experiences are shared only in Japanese.
Mr Kato told me more, however it is not easy to write all here....

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Some other users did replace their clock generator (Cybershaft etc.) into X-3. I regret all information and experiences are shared only in Japanese.
Mr Kato told me more, however it is not easy to write all here....
I understand what you’re saying.

The problem is, without detailed technical background information on how the X-3 works and how it can be better than other reference Clocks, it’s very difficult to just accept various sighted subjective opinions.

The website - https://www.kcsr.co.jp/detail_x3.html - has very little actual details, and no explanation. For example; they mention SC-cut crystals as one of the benefit. But BT-cut or IT-cut crystals are much better for 10MHz clocking crystals. So, why is SC-cut a benefit??

Likewise for SMA output terminal. For 10MHz clocks, SMA@50ohms offers no benefit compared to BNC@75ohms. And since most 10MHz clock inputs are BNC@75ohms, this means an extra external adapter for conversion is required when using the X-3, which will introduce jitter.

So, helpfully you understand why I’m skeptical that the X-3 is “10 times better”.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
I understand what you’re saying.

The problem is, without detailed technical background information on how the X-3 works and how it can be better than other reference Clocks, it’s very difficult to just accept various sighted subjective opinions.

The website - https://www.kcsr.co.jp/detail_x3.html - has very little actual details, and no explanation. For example; they mention SC-cut crystals as one of the benefit. But BT-cut or IT-cut crystals are much better for 10MHz clocking crystals. So, why is SC-cut a benefit??

Likewise for SMA output terminal. For 10MHz clocks, SMA@50ohms offers no benefit compared to BNC@75ohms. And since most 10MHz clock inputs are BNC@75ohms, this means an extra external adapter for conversion is required when using the X-3, which will introduce jitter.

So, helpfully you understand why I’m skeptical that the X-3 is “10 times better”.
I forwarded your question to Mr Kato at SOULNOTE. He replied:
"It's now common knowledge that the best OCXO to use is the SC-cut, as even the most expensive military-grade OCXOs are SC-cut. There is no comparison with the BT cut which is even worse than the AT cut which is the most versatile.
Most clock inputs, including our own, are 50?, even if they are BNC. Of course, the supplied cable and RCC-1 are also 50?."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator#Crystal_cuts

He emphasized "Please listen it first, appraise it by how it sounds".
Aria Audio has X-3 if you can visit HongKong.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
A ZEUS system user said:
"As the accuracy of the clock signal increases, so does the clarity and resolution of the sound image, but the X-3 is a clock generator that has evolved to a new level. Not only the resolution and sound localization are far beyond that of conventional high-precision clock generators, but the reality of the sound is superb, and above all, the music never leaves your mind. The expression of the performer is directly connected to your heart. The improvement in low frequency resolution is also noteworthy. The ambiguity disappears and the sound becomes clearer and more visible. There is more to a clock generator's performance than just its accuracy, and the X-3 was the first clock generator in the world to realise this, and the RCC-1 makes it even more impressive. The clock generator is one of the two wheels of the car, a necessity.

If we compare it to Japanese cuisine, the X-3 has the element of water. Without good water, good food is not possible. It dominates the taste."
He replaced Cybershaft Op19 and Esoteric G-01X into X-3.

The other user said he replaced Cybershaft Op 21 into X-3 too.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Thanks!

Glad to learn that S-3 Reference now has a digital output in form of ZERO LINK.
:D
ZERO LINK of S-3 is not output, but input....

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
SOULNOTE is adding English translation on their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/soulnote2nd/

I strongly recommend to follow each entries if you are interested in SOULNOTE. Mr Kato has described his idea so much on facebook.

Last edited:

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
"It's now common knowledge that the best OCXO to use is the SC-cut, as even the most expensive military-grade OCXOs are SC-cut. There is no comparison with the BT cut which is even worse than the AT cut which is the most versatile.
Most clock inputs, including our own, are 50?, even if they are BNC. Of course, the supplied cable and RCC-1 are also 50?."

Mr Kato expalined his idea about X-3 specification as:

Reactions: AndrewChen

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

Oda-san,

With respect I will say this is well known, yes, however what are you claiming, stating or implying?

This is marketing speak and negative implication superimposed over a single technical fact.

Please list facts to back up the implied claim. What audio clock manufacturers and/or audio transport, player and DAC manufacturers are verified to use BT cut or AT cut.

The way this is written it appears to have us all believe that the X-3 is the only one using an SC-cut crystal which many know to be incorrect.

Also Cybershaft uses BVA Sforzato a reference to test again; that same design mentality (from that vendor) is the heart of the X-3.
In all Cybershaft's certification & test results (at least in the clocks I've owned), the performance against that OCXO assembly is
given to the buyer so again, we are dealing facts not poetic or technical datapoint slights of hand.

I am not defending Cybershaft here per se; I am sure the same post could be written from point of view of Esoteric Grandioso (new G1X)
clock OCXO assembly and design.

Please state facts.

Thank you very much Oda-san.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
One other point to clarify things. You have written this

"There is more to a clock generator's performance than just its accuracy, and the X-3 was the first clock generator in the world to realise this, and the RCC-1 makes it even more impressive."

With respect, this is definitely NOT true (that X-3 is the first); Esoteric, Cybershaft and even Sforzato's other and prior top products practiced these design principles for some years and continue to do so.

Personally I like SOULNOTE's innovation approach, price to performance ratio (based upon reports), their aesthitcs, and very much wish to see them flourish not only in Japan, throughout the world as well.

I just think we should be speaking in terms of facts and reasonable claims.

Reactions: Jpspock

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
One other point to clarify things. You have written this

"There is more to a clock generator's performance than just its accuracy, and the X-3 was the first clock generator in the world to realise this, and the RCC-1 makes it even more impressive."

With respect, this is definitely NOT true (that X-3 is the first); Esoteric, Cybershaft and even Sforzato's other and prior top products practiced these design principles for some years and continue to do so.

Personally I like SOULNOTE's innovation approach, price to performance ratio (based upon reports), their aesthitcs, and very much wish to see them flourish not only in Japan, throughout the world as well.

I just think we should be speaking in terms of facts and reasonable claims.
Hello.

At first, your quotations are not my idea. The first one is reply from Mr. Kato, chief engineer of SOULNOTE, The second one is impression from a X-3 user.

I agree with "we should be speaking in terms of facts and reasonable claims.".
However, as I mentioned above, this would be "a sensitive issue'" of HiFi business in Japan. Many users replaced their clock generator into X-3, which beats much more expensive products. The engineers of those manufacturers are friends or aquaintances. It does not seem better digging more.
Please refer to Mr. Kato's view, I posted on #55.

Many SOULNOTE users in Japan know that Mr. Kato developed the products against "common sense" and got superb result, for example Non over sampling of D-2 etc.
I regret part of his 600 facebook posts are available in English and a few distributors / dealers overseas.
Fortunately, their English website will be appeared soon, you will get more details from that.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hello.

At first, your quotations are not my idea. The first one is reply from Mr. Kato, chief engineer of SOULNOTE, The second one is an impression from one of X-3 user.

I agree "we should be speaking in terms of facts and reasonable claims.".
However, as I mentioned above, this would be "a sensitive issue'" of HiFi business in Japan. Many users replaced their clock generator into X-3, which beats much more expensive products. The engineers of those manufacturers are friends or aquaintances. It does not seem better digging more.
Please refer to Mr. Kato's view, I posted on #55.

Many SOULNOTE users in Japan know that Mr. Kato developed the products against "common sense" and got superb result, for example Non over sampling of D-2 etc.
I regret part of his 600 facebook posts are available in English and a few distributors / dealers overseas.
Fortunately, their English website will be appeared soon, you will get more details from that.
I am sure the users who adopt the X-3 have found a great product based what I've been able to read and have translated.

I understand that you did not speak or write the things that you quoted; I was addressing the substance of them, which you've seen fit to quote here, not mistaking you as the author. It is my hope that is more clear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing