ZERO LINK: A new technology from SFORZATO and SOULNOTE in Japan (with sample WAVs)

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Hello everyone, this is my first contribution to this forum
because I would like to introduce a great step forward for digital audio in Japan.
Messrs SFORZATO and SOULNOTE have developed nice Network players/DACs,
but their technologies and products might not be well known overseas due to the language barrier, etc.

ZERO LINK is a brand new transport protocol and products (transport and DAC/player),
developed by Kyoichi Omata at SFORZATO and Hideki Kato at SOULNOTE.
Kyoichi Omata describes key ideas of ZERO LINK on facebook as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZERO LINK is the new digital audio signal (I2S, DSD) transmission standard established by SOULNOTE and SFORZATO.
The key of the ZERO LINK is that the clock master is DAC not Transport.

How to create the Best Performance DAC with inputs such as USB, LAN ?
The conclusion by the two companies was eliminating asynchronous operation from DAC.
ZERO LINK is what makes this a reality.

DAC works to convert digital data to analog signal in succession, to the rhythm of the sampling frequency .
This rhythm must be maintained without disturbance, and must be kept constant.
Data sent over USB or LAN comes at a timing that has no relation to this rhythm.
A given amount of data is sent in blocks, which must be arranged so that DAC can read them according to its rhythm.
The work of receiving and arranging the data, too, is carried out with timing unrelated to the rhythm of D/A conversion.

Imagine this. As you clap to a certain rhythm, next to you is someone who makes loud noises at times unrelated to your rhythm, beating a drum – tata, tatata, ta.... at a completely unrelated tempo and rhythm.
Wouldn't you want to shout at this nuisance to get out?
Completely shutting out hindrances to rhythm is the DAC portion connected through ZERO LINK.
It forces the USB, LAN that create rhythm-disturbing noise out to Transport.
It then transmits the clapping rhythm from DAC to Transport, and sends data one item at a time in step with the rhythm.
The result: no noise inside DAC other than your own clapping, letting you concentrate on D/A conversion without disrupting the rhythm.

What connects Transport and DAC is ZERO LINK. The format (e.g., sampling frequency) of songs played by the transport is communicated to DAC, after which DAC sends a rhythm fitting the format to Transport.
Transport then sends data in step with that rhythm to DAC, piece by piece. The connection method behind this mechanism is ZERO LINK.

https://fb.watch/3FSor_bzUv/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last weekend I had a chance to listen to this new technology in an audio shop in Tokyo,
with SFORZATO DST-Lepus transport (trial version) and SOULNOTE S-3 Ver.2 SACD player
which accepts ZERO LINK data transport.
Despite their being in trial, the sound was much better than the ordinary USB isochronous widely used.
Much more clarity, brightness and high resolution sound had me both surprised and amazed.
The difference in resolution of the sound source was readily discernible.
You can experience the difference by downloading and listening two WAV files on the links below:
DELA S100 -(optical fiber LAN)-> DST-Lepus -(USB)-> S-3 Ver.2
DELA S100 -(optical fiber LAN)-> DST-Lepus -(ZERO LINK)-> S-3 Ver.2

SFORZATO will release ZERO LINK transport and DACs in a few months,
DST-Lepus (ZERO LINK Transport)
DSC-Vela (DAC)
DSC-Dorado (DAC)
DSC-Grus (DAC)

SOULNOTE follows: release planned for July,
Z-3 (ZERO LINK Transport)
D-3 (DAC)

I hope all over the world audiophiles experience and enjoy the excellent sound.
SFORZATO
SOULNOTE

90804401_3361883513828631_1631847754391093248_n.jpg Dorado.Pavo1140x400-1024x359.jpg soulnote_S3_001.jpg zero-001.jpg zero-002.jpg

The superb engineer at SFORZATO is Kyoichi OMATA,
I'm Kyoichi ODA. This is a just coincidence, don't be confused!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome! Look forward to reading more about this. Is this only available in Japan?

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
SFORZATO DST-Lepus and SOULNOTE Z-3 accept following digital inputs:
LAN: UPnP(OpenHome) and DIretta
USB: Isochronous, BulkPet and JPLAY

LAN, UPnP(OpenHome) is the best in above
because Transport and DAC work as a network player in a body on this mode.

Reactions: CKKeung

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Just realized....Melco is the brand of DELA in outside Japan,
so DELA S100 -> Melco S100.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Coming new Soulnote DAC, D-3 will be separated from clock generator,
which will be released as D-3X that can be used as single generator.
I will post impression in this summer.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Does the Soulnote SACD player have a digital out, can it be used as a transport?

Reactions: Fred Crane

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
SOULNOTE's new models appeared, as trial version.
Top left: D-3, new DAC
Top right: Z-3, ZERO LINK transport
Middle left: X-3, clock generator
Middle right: P-3, preamp (has released)
Front: two A-2 integrated amplifiers (have released)

The new 3 models, D-3, Z-3 and X-3, are going to be released in July.
I will report as having a chance to listen them.

New monoblock power amp M-3 is planning to be released in November.

1616295710649.png

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It doesn't have unfortunately....
Hi KyoichiOda,
I think Jazzhead's is a good idea.
Please convey this suggestion to Soulnote.
Many thanks!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Questions for KyoichiOda san:

Is this zero link some kind of bi-directional communication protocol between transport and dac - where the data goes from tpt to dac, while clock data goes from dac to tpt - requiring 2 separate strands of optical fibre to be used?

Does this clock-data bi-directional process involves a buffer stage that might delay the decoded music being output a few seconds later than the data retrieval (off optical disc)?

How do you plan to deal with the insidious problem of signal flow directionality on optic fibre cables with the twin optic fibre cable that you will be supplying to your customers?

Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Welcome to the forum SFORZATO and SOULNOTE!

SFORZATO 10 mHz master clock is the Reference standard IMHO against which all others are, or should be measured..

Both companies' products have very good reputations among audiophiles from Japan and ASIA-PACIFIC region.

The design innovations mentioned above are very interesting and I am looking forward to hearing them as soon as possible!

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Hi KyoichiOda,
I think Jazzhead's is a good idea.
Please convey this suggestion to Soulnote.
Many thanks!
OK, I will.

Reactions: CKKeung

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Questions for KyoichiOda san:

Is this zero link some kind of bi-directional communication protocol between transport and dac - where the data goes from tpt to dac, while clock data goes from dac to tpt - requiring 2 separate strands of optical fibre to be used?

Does this clock-data bi-directional process involves a buffer stage that might delay the decoded music being output a few seconds later than the data retrieval (off optical disc)?

How do you plan to deal with the insidious problem of signal flow directionality on optic fibre cables with the twin optic fibre cable that you will be supplying to your customers?
DVI cable is adopted for ZERO LINK connection between DAC and transport. It has 29 wires, this should be enough for bi-directional clock/data flow.
An user of DST-Lepus reported starting playback is very quick, with no delay.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Very interesting!

It would be nice if someone does an apples to apples comparison to I2S using 4x BNC cables, like CEC does with their DACs and Transports.
I wouldn't be surprised if their Zero Link method beats AES/EBU or S/PDIF with their DAC, but that's expected due to the superiority of the protocol. Proper comparison vs the real deal 4x BNC I2S would be excellent.

Reactions: lordcloud

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Welcome to the forum SFORZATO and SOULNOTE!

SFORZATO 10 mHz master clock is the Reference standard IMHO against which all others are, or should be measured..

Both companies' products have very good reputations among audiophiles from Japan and ASIA-PACIFIC region.

The design innovations mentioned above are very interesting and I am looking forward to hearing them as soon as possible!
Soulnote's new clock X-3 is expected as better one. Probably I have a chance to listen both Sforzato and Soulnote until the end of April, will report here soon.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021
Very interesting!

It would be nice if someone does an apples to apples comparison to I2S using 4x BNC cables, like CEC does with their DACs and Transports.
I wouldn't be surprised if their Zero Link method beats AES/EBU or S/PDIF with their DAC, but that's expected due to the superiority of the protocol. Proper comparison vs the real deal 4x BNC I2S would be excellent.
One of important feature of ZERO LINK is DAC master clock. Clock signal is provided by DAC to transport, then transport sends data to DAC with DAC's clock timing. This is the different and superior point of ZERO LINK.

KyoichiOda

Feb 10, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing