1110 & 1160

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
:) clap clap clap!!! Congratulations!
Even though I did not buy the Boulder, I am happy for you. Enjoy!

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.

My thoughts about 1110 are those I wrote in the post #103. Compared to listening with dac/pre only, I confirm a great sense of rhythm, impressive speed, great breadth and better distinction of the individual instruments. In short, the pleasure of listening has grown.
It may be that the merit of these improvements is also due to the 1160 amplifier, which is now working more at ease driven by its preamp.

Roberto

Reactions: chuck and phunge

phunge

Jan 1, 2016
I decided to replace my tube preamp and bought a Boulder 1110 preamp. It arrived today and is now installed.

Congrats, I am sure it will bring you many years of enjoyment.

Would love to see some pictures!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have been playing the 1110 for many hours now with all types of music. It is sensational. Breathtaking how good it is.

I heard Joshua Bell with pianist Alessio Bax live on Tuesday at the Fort Collins, CO Lincoln Center, sitting 4th row, not 20 feet from them. A great performance. Playing Mr. Bell's CDs and SACDs using PD MPT-8/MPD-8 -- wow. To me, the Boulder 1110/3060/YG is the closest to the sound of real acoustic instruments.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Chuck can you talk us through the rest of your rack?

I tried googling what i took to be your digital rig from your post - PD-MBT-8, and all i got were pages about the Munchasen by Proxy variant of Parkinson's disease. Second attempt she thought i was asking about a therapy for Personality Disorder....so I'm just going to have to ask you:p
I wonder if google is trying to tell me somethingo_O

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Nice one....i'll do some reading:)

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Meanwhile chuck takes his pictures... I insert some pics of my system (if nothing else we keep the thread alive) :)[/QUOTE>]

Great system... I noted two Quadraspire racks; I had one many years ago exactly the same as yours... no ... it was a five-floors item, later sold also in Italy.
Do you have considered something else more solid, heavier? (and expensive?).
Just for curiosity...
My best/ciao
Marco

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Ciao Marco, visto che sei Italiano, è inutile che triboli a scrivere in Inglese :)
Ogni tanto guardo in rete qualche alternativa per i tavolini, mi piacciono ad esempio gli Harmonic Resolution Systems, oppure i Bassocontinuo, i Finite Elemente, i Taoc; ma poi, ogni volta che poi guardo i listini, mi passa la voglia di sostituirli...

(Sorry if I wrote in Italian, but I replied faster. However, I think it was an off topic, uninteresting for others.)

Roberto

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Here is a picture of the Boulder 3060 and YG Sonja XV speakers that are connected to the 1110. I also have a Home Theatre set up -- the two Paradigm subwoofers are just for that system and also using a Paradigm center channel for now. I will eventually get a YG center but the Paradigm works pretty well for watching movies.

77959C60-6A3E-4205-A006-F115BC1DD782_1_105_c.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Here is a picture of the Boulder 3060 and YG Sonja XV speakers that are connected to the 1110. I also have a Home Theatre set up -- the two Paradigm subwoofers are just for that system and also using a Paradigm center channel for now. I will eventually get a YG center but the Paradigm works pretty well for watching movies.

View attachment 63564

That is a beautiful system, Chuck! Thank you for posting a photo!

I never knew silver is an option on YG!

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
And here are the first problems:
I noticed this error message during power up ... It seems to me that it also came out as LeftPos.
But it only appears sometimes and only when the couple is turned on ...and after a few seconds it disappears.
Perhaps best to keep everything disconnected from the network, at least there are no strange warnings ...

View attachment 59851

Did Boulder ever get back to you on this?

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Did Boulder ever get back to you on this?
I had exchanged a few emails with Steve Huntley, explained the problem they hadn't noticed yet, and the conclusion was that there might be a probable bug in the Boulder Net software. Which they should have solved later, but I have not had any more news and the operation has remained so. There is one more thing to say: I noticed this '' problem '' after updating my 1160 to version 1.01 (see pic). After I talked about this issue with them, the Available Version became n / a, I don't know if the bug was in that update, but I know they become no longer available (but there was no chance to revert to version 1.00), it's my hypothesis, maybe it's not correct. However, no one from Boulder took the initiative to contact me to update the matter (not even the Italian distributor). Currently, to avoid this nasty error message, I leave only the 1110 connected to the network, which switches 1160 power on / off via the mini jack cable. Then every now and then I also connect the 1160 for a moment to see if there is a possible firmware update.

P.S. I hope my translation is sufficiently understandable.
Roberto Screenshot (918).png

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello,

Why does this Boulder preamplifier have to be connected to the Internet?

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
Ciao,

Perché questo preamplificatore Boulder deve essere connesso a Internet?
Ciao,
non è un obbligo, ma connesso alla rete, puoi modificare parametri come la polarità dei connettori bilanciati (Pin 2 Hot / Pin 3 Hot) da remoto, puoi agire su tante funzioni con la tastiera del PC e dare un nome a ad ogni ingresso, si può leggere la temperatura dell'amplificatore di potenza (quando è collegato anche questo), non da ultimo c'è la possibilità dell'aggiornamento del firmware, che se il pre non è online non lo rileva (anche se in realtà, dato che Lo possiedo, nemmeno uno è andato giù). Tra l'altro, quando il 1110 e il 1160 sono entrambi collegati alla rete, avviene un controllo dell'amplificatore, utile per verificare che tutto sia ok, ma purtroppo, nel mio caso, da quel famoso errore all'accensione: da solo la spiegazione è che accendendo entrambe le elettroniche contemporaneamente, il 1110 prima arriva allo stato "pronto" e va a controllare le tensioni del 1160 mentre questo sta ancora finendo la sua partenza, quindi legge i valori che non sono ancora stabili e segna come errore. Spero di essermi spiegato, la mia lingua è l'italiano:).

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting! Thank you very much for your detailed and perfectly understandable explanation!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing