1110 & 1160

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,
I am new to Boulder stuff but the latest 1100 series caught my eyes and ears, to be exact, but not my heart yet. Appreciate any comments on this series.

I live in a (British)230v 50Hz 13A environment.
Thank you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi,
I am new to Boulder stuff but the latest 1100 series caught my eyes and ears, to be exact, but not my heart yet. Appreciate any comments on this series.

I live in a (British)230v 50Hz 13A environment.
Thank you.
Hi, Can you please describe the rest of your system?

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Hi Bonzo75,
I am thinking of setting up another system with Boulder amps. Then, I will find new sources and speakers to match. Do you think the phonostage and CDP will be revised to a 1100 series too? Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo75,
I am thinking of setting up another system with Boulder amps. Then, I will find new sources and speakers to match. Do you think the phonostage and CDP will be revised to a 1100 series too? Thanks
You mentioned you are in the UK. You can hear boulder systems with YG at a hifi shop in Cambridge, also audio lounge owner in London might be able to arrange. Restored Apogees are the other great choice for boulder

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I recently auditioned the 1110 with my 3060 amp and 1008 phonostage, YG XV speakers. IMO it is a great preamp.

What is your other system?
Chuck, did you not own Alexandria before?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Dec 20, 2011
San Diego
Nice review but I have deja vu reading it. Reviews of Boulder amps all have the same basic theme, going back decades:

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1091boul/index.html
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue27/2060_boulder.htm
https://www.stereophile.com/content/boulder-amplifiers-2150-monoblock-power-amplifier

The reviews are all dead on the money correct. My favorite is the JGH review from 1992. Also amusing are the reviews like Fremer's, who say Boulder is a great amp but I don't like it because it is too perfect, i.e. not "musical."

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Nice review but I have deja vu reading it. Reviews of Boulder amps all have the same basic theme, going back decades:

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1091boul/index.html
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue27/2060_boulder.htm
https://www.stereophile.com/content/boulder-amplifiers-2150-monoblock-power-amplifier

The reviews are all dead on the money correct. My favorite is the JGH review from 1992. Also amusing are the reviews like Fremer's, who say Boulder is a great amp but I don't like it because it is too perfect, i.e. not "musical."
I am actually setting up my Maxx3 speakers and do have the Boulder 1060 and the VTL S-400 to interchange.
Doing the procedure with the S-400, the position, where you start believing, that it is "correct" is quickly done, you end up with a position, which seem to be the best.

Switching over to the Boulder 1060 , you can hear, that the speaker is better controlled, but also, you like to adjust the speaker position further. The 1060 has a higher level of detail , which enables a next level of speaker set up in very small steps. The S-400 is more easy going, when I change carts, I can hear the differences, but I still can continue to listen to the music. The Boulder 1060 is more strict. If the Cart is not in the right tonal balance, you do not want to listen to it.
So I am not sure, if the reviewers did the last step to integrate the Boulder components in their set up.

Currently I have not yet decided finally, if I like to continue with this Boulder approach , or if I like to continue with the more forgiving VTL amp. The plan is , to give my Boulder more time, to give me more time to ...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I previously owned a Boulder 1060 which I paired with a heavily modded/re-tubed Ayon CD-5s as linestage driving a pair of Marten Coltrane Alto's. The Alto's were a demanding load, but the Boulder provided rock solid bass/control and neutrality, whilst the Ayon added tube virtues of richness, sweetness, holography and dimensionality - best of both worlds. The 1100 series amps by comparison sound more refined, smooth and offer a sound closer to their Class A amps (ie: with just a very slight touch of warmth and a nice musical flow), though they sound essentially neutral.

I've heard the 1160 and 1110 amps in two different setups, incl recently with an APL Hifi DSD-MR tube dac + DTR-MR SACD transport & Marten Coltrane Tenor 2 speakers. I've also heard that combo paired with Magico S3 Mk2's in an all-Boulder setup. I've always felt Boulder Class A/B amps need some tubes in the mix, and paired with the APL Hifi tube dac and Martens, it all gelled together perfectly and sounded natural and musical. I could see that combo sounding great with Magico and many other speakers as well.

Here are a couple of video's of the setups I heard -

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing