2013 RMAF must see/hear Products and your Fab Five?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Relative to the Wilson XLF + Thor set up...did anyone hear the Lansche 8.2 setup with Ypsilon electronics? Very curious as I have heard good things about Lansche designs...and this one is quite an all-out-assault design. Complete D'Appolito...like the Arrakis...6'7" tall...880 lbs, with 2 powered 18" subs...so all the crossover work (40hz?) and amp matching is taken care of as part of the design by the manufacturer.

Thanks for any feedback...AAudio Imports I think was hosting.

Lloyd - I just had the chance to visit a few rooms, and this was one of those..I liked the Venture room better considering I spent a few minutes in both of them.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks Steve.

I also agree about Win's turntable. I spent a very pleasurable 1/2 hour in his room spinning the Paraguayan folk music I played for you, and also side B of the Count Basie album on his table. That table sounds like a winner, and if you are thinking of adding vinyl to your tape and CD playback, the Saskia should be among the top of your list along with the Air Force One.

+1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd - I just had the chance to visit a few rooms, and this was one of those..I liked the Venture room better considering I spent a few minutes in both of them.

Thanks!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Nice job, Dre!

I liked that you used words that appealed to our emotions and not just the sound like most reviewers - enticing, enjoyable, airy, rhythm and pace, speedy, etc. That doesn't bring a judgement because one listener's "speedy" might be another listener's "hectic". Hope that you continue in this vein.

Thanks Gary

Impeccable!

Thanks Fernando

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Lloyd (LL21),

With all that equipment in your system, why don't you have any vinyl or tape sources?

Dre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Lloyd (LL21),

With all that equipment in your system, why don't you have any vinyl or tape sources?

Dre

I've been down that road with him already...

By the way, I read your show report Andre and you did a great job.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd (LL21),

Dre

Hi...I promised myself over 20 years ago, I would concentrate all my resources on 1 great source (I decided on digital). I decided I preferred having the best that i could comfortably afford in one source, rather than have 2 or even 3 sources where I thought each could be better. I also prefer it this way because all my music is for one source. I feel fortunate to have come all this way, and am really enjoying music.

Sure, I am continuing to climb the mountain like many of us...but I can easily say in the last 24-30 months...it has become largely an exploration of music. My equipment has upgraded...but in truth my music collection is what has grown the most...from 400 CDs to approx. 1800. And loving it.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks Peter, but I'll go with Mr. Astor's opinion. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi...I promised myself over 20 years ago, I would concentrate all my resources on 1 great source (I decided on digital). I decided I preferred having the best that i could comfortably afford in one source, rather than have 2 or even 3 sources where I thought each could be better. I also prefer it this way because all my music is for one source. I feel fortunate to have come all this way, and am really enjoying music.

Vinyls? I don't need no stinkin' vinyls!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I've been down that road with him already...

By the way, I read your show report Andre and you did a great job.

Thanks Mark

Only today I went through your articles - very informative and really enjoyable, in the good TAS tradition. And the pictures are really good.
PS - my first A80 also come with an artisanal wood cabinet similar to the one shown in your picture.

Thanks Fransisco

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks Peter, but I'll go with Mr. Astor's opinion. ;)

I agree. It is a rare opportunity to hear sound (RCA LC-1A LS-11) the way those recordings were monitored back in the day. Thanks Win.

Dre

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Sure, I am continuing to climb the mountain like many of us...but I can easily say in the last 24-30 months...it has become largely an exploration of music. My equipment has upgraded...but in truth my music collection is what has grown the most...from 400 CDs to approx. 1800. And loving it.

Understood. Thanks for responding.

One day, if you get a chance, it may be educational to add additional sources to the system in order to expand the choice of music. Some of the music we all enjoy is only available on other analog formats and was never converted to digital. This is mentioned in context without regard to sound quality preferences.

Dre

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I agree. It is a rare opportunity to hear sound (RCA LS-1a LS-11) the way those recordings were monitored back in the day. Thanks Win.

Dre

You guys haven't heard Bozaks if you think those RCAs are good :) But I'll take that Lansche set-up any day.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Understood. Thanks for responding.

One day, if you get a chance, it may be educational to add additional sources to the system in order to expand the choice of music. Some of the music we all enjoy is only available on other analog formats and was never converted to digital. This is mentioned in context without regard to sound quality preferences.

Dre

I'm firmly with Lloyd on this one. Although I have no "evidence" except my opinion, it is that filling up a room with electrical and electronic equipment is one thing that degrades the sound. I'm not quite on just the CD only thing, but everything I listen to can be played by my Oppo (soon to be a Modwright full mod 105). As far as the often repeated canard that some music I want to hear isn't available on digital, I have rarely found that to be true (probably not more than a literal handful of items), and considering that I can't really listen to everything I have anyway...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing