2013 RMAF must see/hear Products and your Fab Five?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I heard the Lansche big boys at the show and they didn't make a good showing. Blame the room, blame the electronics, blame the cables, blame the source material, and blame the speakers or some combination of all of them. The bottom line is they sounded very hi-fi in the worst sense of the meaning of that word.

IIRC we walked out of the room after hearing what you said

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
We certainly did Steve. I couldn't take it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
JA's Equal Best of Show

Glad I could be just a small part of it!

It seems it was not so small, considering the comments I have read. Did you have the opportunity to directly compare your DSD transcriptions of the recordings used in the show with the LPs?

BTW, I loved the JA sentence "In both cases, there was a sense of loss when the music stopped." .

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I heard the Lansche big boys at the show and they didn't make a good showing. Blame the room, blame the electronics, blame the cables, blame the source material, and blame the speakers or some combination of all of them. The bottom line is they sounded very hi-fi in the worst sense of the meaning of that word.

Funny, Ivan picked it as his choice for Best in Show.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Funny, Ivan picked it as his choice for Best in Show.

So who's Ivan? I haven't talked to anyone who was at RMAF 2013 that thought that room sounded good. All of those 18" woofers and still no bass and a sound that was thinner than a super model on a diet.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
It seems it was not so small, considering the comments I have read. Did you have the opportunity to directly compare your DSD transcriptions of the recordings used in the show with the LPs?

BTW, I loved the JA sentence "In both cases, there was a sense of loss when the music stopped." .

I agree it was not a small part. I introduced myself to Bruce in the Doshi room later in the night after the Wilson Owners Event. As I understand some of the tracks played at that event were not used in the demos during the show. My comment to Bruce was that I couldn't believe that tape or vinyl could improve upon the sound of those recordings.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
All of those 18" woofers and still no bass and a sound that was thinner than a super model on a diet.

I think this could be said about the VS room as well. I was in that room for a few hours and wondered where the good sound was.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think this could be said about the VS room as well. I was in that room for a few hours and wondered where the good sound was.

Bruce-I agree. I thought the big VS speakers sounded much, much better at Axpona in Chicago last March. There were only a couple of tapes that held my interest and one of them was your recording of Sticky Fingers. I think you and I were there for the same few hours.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So who's Ivan? I haven't talked to anyone who was at RMAF 2013 that thought that room sounded good. All of those 18" woofers and still no bass and a sound that was thinner than a super model on a diet.

Ivan owns and runs audioaficianado.org.

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
RMAF 2013 Attendance Numbers

Attendees:
20 Countries and 41 States
Total 3,759
Industry 7%
Military 1%
Students 6%
Seniors 12%
Standard 74%

Exhibitors:
26 Countries and 42 States
Total Exhibitors 1,196
Total Companies 440
Total Products Listed Online: 545

Press:
7 Countries and 32 States
Total 130
Publications 56

Volunteers and Guests:
2 Countries and 15 States
Total 101

Silent Auction:
Total Amount Raised: $5,469.00
Total Matched by RMAF: $5,469.00
Total Donated to Red Cross: $10,938.00

Thank you for supporting RMAF and I really appreciate your input....it only makes the show better.

Warmest Regards, Marjorie

Marjorie Baumert, Director
Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
October 10, 11, and 12, 2014
www.audiofest.net
Facebook: ROCKY MOUNTAIN AUDIO FEST
Twitter: @audiofest or #RMAF

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Judging from the responses I've received so far, I guess this wasn't bad for a first shot at pinch-hitting in this league. Your congratulations are much appreciated.

Well done Andre!!

Thanks Mark

Nice work, Dre, and the photos add to the enjoyment. One of the things that always bugged me about the print magazines' show reports was that there would be a photo of some unidentified piece of new gear, and you would search the text in vain trying to find out what it was. I didn't have that problem with your write-ups. Kudos to Win, Bruce, and the other members here who had gear in play.

Thanks Bill.

Very Well Done Andre.
Thank You

Thanks Gary.

excellent write up Andre

Thanks Steve.

Dre

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Did anyone make it to the Wavelenth/Vaughn room? This was voted Best of Show by Audio Beat. Jim Vaughn was showing his new plasma drivers. A friend of mine has these plasmas and says it is a game changer for him. Tentative retail for the plasma tweeters is $8K and the drivers will compliment any speaker made.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2013/rmaf2013_wavelength_vaughn.htm

It was one of the better rooms IMO. I had been lukewarm on their room in previous years.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Did anyone make it to the Wavelenth/Vaughn room? This was voted Best of Show by Audio Beat. Jim Vaughn was showing his new plasma drivers. A friend of mine has these plasmas and says it is a game changer for him. Tentative retail for the plasma tweeters is $8K and the drivers will compliment any speaker made.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2013/rmaf2013_wavelength_vaughn.htm

I thought the room was at least one of the best, but there was a lot of competition. I noted that it was the first seamless integration of a plasma tweeter that I have heard, where it remains unobtrusive but adds lots of air, space and dimension to the already spacious tube presentation.

It has a crossover of about 3500, which would exactly match my system, I thought about it.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Fine job Andre! Certainly more informative than most show reports.

Most of the time show reports just give the product info and price with no sonic impressions. Not a fan of those type of reports.

Thanks Sean

Dre

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Nice job, Dre!

I liked that you used words that appealed to our emotions and not just the sound like most reviewers - enticing, enjoyable, airy, rhythm and pace, speedy, etc. That doesn't bring a judgement because one listener's "speedy" might be another listener's "hectic". Hope that you continue in this vein.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing