$80K budget for Speakers

Ronboco

May 9, 2022
Hello audiogod. I recommend giving the Rockport Cygnus or Avior ii an audition with your room size. They sound amazing with Boulder amplification. My room is similar in size to yours and I use a corner set up as some have suggested. Be sure to deal with the most important component of all. Your room. Good luck !

• Love
Reactions: AudioGod

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Buy a strauss and for the rest of the money a good amp. you don't need more.

Maybe stella pre+amp 120 watt/8ohm from ångström audio lab really good stuff 10k used market 2019824_134604_WTJ0SL.jpg 2019824_135016_QMDUME.jpg

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
As others have said, please please please get out and listen to some hifi before dropping $80k on a set of speakers (and presumably a load more on partnering kit).
If you listened to those 3 speakers properly, you'd find they are very different from each other and your preference should be pretty obvious. FWIW I wouldn't own any of those.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I received the new TAS issue and there is a really cool review of the Alexia V by Robert Harley. He basically says it is a distillation of his reference XVX Chronosonic loudspeakers. He was especially impressed with the midrange and bass.

Definitely should have the Vs on your audition list.

• Love

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Something to consider
The budget of the amplification that will drive the intended speakers
And this is where the consideration of adjusting the amplification comes in.

In my experience
The electronics (pre+power or integrated) should be at least or about half of the budget (given that you start from 0).

A high-budget speaker with an amplifier that is not at its level - and there is no such thing as a cheap amplifier that also sounds at the level of high-budget speakers.

must take into account

Otherwise the speaker is more of a good looking statue than a musical "instrument".

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I will travel from Brazil to Bulgaria when APL launches the new Endless speakers.
That’s how important it is to listen first and figure out if you like it.
Inside Europe it’s much easier

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Lots of great choices these days. Alsyvox was one of my favorites from the last and apparently final RMAF show. Also YG, they are local so I've heard them at many shows and been to the factory. I'd listen to as many speakers and systems as you can before purchase. I'd also check out Verity speakers, and would agree with a lot of the previously mentioned choices like Tidal.

Here's a good deal on YG Sonjas:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I was wowed by these at Munich high end:

IMG_6032.jpeg

The designer is crazy (in a good way for us audiophiles) and also builds one of the best turntables/tonearms in the world.

Also would recommend Kharma, Clarysis, Zellaton, Alsyvox.

Listen before you buy.
For such an amount, if no dealers are in close reach, I’d travel and listen to systems.
Learn more about the potential and how each of the options fit your taste (or not).

I’d also leave a matching amount (if not more) for amplification and source(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay and AudioGod

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

these are excellent speakers, unfortunately not that well known yet as new. Sujay has also heard them and will say the same

Reactions: sujay and AudioGod

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
First as the Audio God shouldnt already know not be asking :)
Just keepin mind that the speaker is only the end point of the system you are listening too and everything is not universal.
Its important to figure out whats important to you and what your looking for both from sound, looks and size for your room and also to be able to get the other items required to get the total result you want.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi AudioGod,

As you are new to this hobby, here are a few tips:

1. Don't let super enthusiastic reviews sway you. All reviews in hi end audio are over the top positive.

2. Visit different dealers (leave your wallet at home :)) and listen to different setups.

3. Buy second hand. There is tons of great gear out there for a fraction of new retail price. This allows you to experiment and learn without losing tons of money. You can sell it on for close to what you paid and then try something else. I had to live with a lot of gear before I learned what I really love.

4. Have fun :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
^^^ THIS.

The best advice I could offer is to buy nothing until you settle in on what you are looking for. Travel, listen, explore but the main thing is get your ears on what you want. Sound is personal and you will never achieve this with reviews.

When you know, you know. Whether you can afford it now or not.

Tom

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
^^^ THIS.

The best advice I could offer is to buy nothing until you settle in on what you are looking for. Travel, listen, explore but the main thing is get your ears on what you want. Sound is personal and you will never achieve this with reviews.

Tom

Good advice. I would add that compromise is inherent in the high end, regardless of price. That, by the way, already starts with speaker positioning...the optimum in any given room still entails trade-offs. No matter how expensive the speaker. That's just physics.

Once you know your priorities and preferences, the things you can't live without and the ones you can, you know which compromises you can accept and which ones not. And that's personal, each individual is different.

Looking for the perfect system is a fool's errand. It doesn't exist. And what might be close to perfect for you, may not be for a friend who visits. We all hear and experience differently.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you want to spend 80K $ on speaker, then you had better attend Audio show before making decision.

Every speaker has pros and cons.

Thus you had better find one suited for your taste comparing between different speakers.

Also you may get some idea about synergy between speaker and amp.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
these are excellent speakers, unfortunately not that well known yet as new. Sujay has also heard them and will say the same
WOW, praise for a non horn speaker

View attachment 116003

The designer is crazy (in a good way for us audiophiles) and also builds one of the best turntables/tonearms in the world.

Also would recommend Kharma, Clarysis, Zellaton, Alsyvox.

Listen before you buy.
For such an amount, if no dealers are in close reach, I’d travel and listen to systems.
Learn more about the potential and how each of the options fit your taste (or not).

I’d also leave a matching amount (if not more) for amplification and source(s).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
^^^ THIS.

Tom
Agree!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is no point in listening to speakers, just order online. Everyone is doing that

0C083CBA-F24B-4085-83D1-AAE80E137D6B.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing