A new TWL review on the "Discrete" USB and "Freedom" ethernet digital cables!

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
A superb new review from Mono and Stereo's own Matej Isak on my "Discrete" USB cable and my "Freedom" ethernet cable here...

Mono and Stereo TWL Digital Cable Review

Some excerpts -
"With "The rite of my timps" (by Maarten van der Valk “Touch”) Triode Wire Labs's "Discrete" USB cable drums coalescing formed a more coherent and dynamical realism. This track alone divides the mediocre USB cables from the ones that can provide more than just a noticeable step-up in the performance.

Toms decays were noticeably prolonged and "Discrete" provided greater amount of environmental cues; translating into a far better three-dimensional projection of the drums. I was quite surprised by how much easier the tom pitch's changes were deciphered during the decay out time. At the TWL "Discrete" given price, this is quite an achievement!

I wanted to discern how the TWL “Freedom” Ethernet cable affects the streaming. With "Cantina" (Reference Recordings) it was easy to decode its qualities.
The track alone is an epitome of clarity. “Freedom” has introduced an unexpected shift... The guitar gained much better grip and presence, the air around the flute extended and dispersed with the greater spatial distribution percussion and exuberant percussion felt less congested and more life-like. These are not the attributes one would easily associate with the digital cables, but here you have it. Vividly noticeable and of positive impact!

Triode Wire Labs “Freedom” Ethernet cable and “Discrete” USB really had a premium field of exploration and they've provided a recognizing continuum. While many, even far pricier cables punctuate and intersperse signal, the TWL hovered above such traits and in absence of sparse sonic ramifications.

While some of the exotic, exuberantly priced USB and ethernet cables struggle or fail to work with computers (server) or DACs, the TWL “Freedom” and “Discrete” provide instant non-questionable "lock & load", as well as a sonic potency with non-expecting perusing quality and with most positive stimulus.

Both Triode Wire Labs “Freedom” Ethernet cable and “Discrete” USB cables rate high on the audiophile barometer and shouldn't escape the attention of those who are on the quest for affordable and highly-performing USB and ethernet cables. Again, TWL is true to their slogan "Affordable Audiophile Cables". For what they represent performance/price wise, I'm wholeheartedly granting both "Freedom" and “Discrete” cables 2020 Mono & Stereo Highly Recommended Product award!"

- Matej Isak

I should note that this review took Matej over 7 months to properly analyze and review both cables. He noted in the review, he utilized the following various equipment as follows, "Triode Wire Labs “Freedom” Ethernet cable and “Discrete” USB cables went through an extensive circulation with my reference front ends; the MSB Select DAC, Totaldac d1-Direct DAC, Aries Cerat Kassandra II Sig DAC, Aqua Acoustic Quality Formula xHD DAC and nonetheless MSB Technology The Pro USB."

Thanks, Matej!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Reactions: Steve Williams

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings all,

I just wanted to briefly chime-in and share my recent and brief (actually a semi-extended) experience with the TWL Freedom ethernet cables. To provide some context, I will elaborate a bit on my current set-up to give my full use-case experience.

Use-case: First off, my system is all digital (currently no analog) - mostly streaming; and, it has grown over time within the Innuos digital ecosystem (as the Taiko Extreme is just too far out of reach for me at this time). Thus, my digital frontend is the following kit in series:

Front end: Wall -> Modem (JS-2 LPS) --> etherRegen (JS-2 LPS) --> Innuos PhoenixNET --> Innuos Zenith Mk3 --> Innuos PhoenixUSB --> DAC

So, what's important above is the 3 "red" arrows, which indicate the need for 3 eNet cables.

Experience: I started with 3 eNet cables from another boutique cable maker (whose name I will try to protect), and lived with them for 3-months while the front-end kit was breaking in. Concurrently, I contacted Pete, and discussed my use-case, and Pete made 3 Freedom eNet cables for my digital front-end.

Two "obvious" perks working with Pete are:
1. Pete is super friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and on point
2. TWL's prices are quite reasonable within today's crowded marketplace
Two "additional" perks for me were:
3. Pete is very familiar with the Innuos ecosystem, and he knows exactly what I needed and why
4. Specifically, I requested for 2 of the 3 eNet cable to be only 18" in length, and all three "black" in color, and he happily accommodated

Subsequent to our call, he promptly produced the scope and shipped them right away, par excellence.

After Pete's cables arrived and my front-end electronics fully settled in, I was able to apply (w/ slightly more rigor) the "scientific method" of slowly substituting-in the TWL Freedom eNet cables into position, one at a time. After each insertion, the uplift was quite noticeable. I now have all 3 of Pete's Freedom eNet cables in place, as they thoroughly out performed (for me in my system) my previous eNet cables (which were 3x more expensive!). In summary, the sonic uplift for me is: Faster transient rise time, more highs and spacial information, enriched colors in a fuller soundscape, ease, natural, and more musical. Thank you, Pete!

I hope this feedback may be helpful for others, as folks begin to navigate the eNet world.

Re-tread

Last edited:

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings all,

Just a brief update, and another thankful nod to Pete once again. I was in need for another TWL Freedom Ethernet cable, and Pete was able to accommodate all correspondence, production, delivery, and professional follow-up just before (and after) his planned Summer vacation without missing a beat. The new cable arrived at our agreed timeline; and moreover, it sounds great in my "digital front-end" system. Thank you very much, Pete.

To date, I have purchased several TWL Freedom Ethernet cables and 2 Digital American PC's and each of them has been a GREAT addition to my playback chain. Thank you, Triode Wire Labs..!

Re-tread

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Greetings all,

Just a brief update, and another thankful nod to Pete once again. I was in need for another TWL Freedom Ethernet cable, and Pete was able to accommodate all correspondence, production, delivery, and professional follow-up just before (and after) his planned Summer vacation without missing a beat. The new cable arrived at our agreed timeline; and moreover, it sounds great in my "digital front-end" system. Thank you very much, Pete.

To date, I have purchased several TWL Freedom Ethernet cables and 2 Digital American PC's and each of them has been a GREAT addition to my playback chain. Thank you, Triode Wire Labs..!

Re-tread
Thank you kindly, Re-tread!

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I'm currently putting some hours on my new TWL Freedom ethernet cables.
Will piece my system together next week after a 12 month hiatus.
Many additions over that time. Have a good listen to each item change.
The two biggest should be swapping a MacBook Pro for a streamer, and changing to ethernet from wifi.

Looking forward to adding and evaluating the Freedom ethernet cables.

Reactions: Triode Pete

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
I'm currently putting some hours on my new TWL Freedom ethernet cables.
Will piece my system together next week after a 12 month hiatus.
Many additions over that time. Have a good listen to each item change.
The two biggest should be swapping a MacBook Pro for a streamer, and changing to ethernet from wifi.

Looking forward to adding and evaluating the Freedom ethernet cables.
Thanks, Jerry!

Triode Pete

Mar 1, 2016
Long Island, NY
www.triodewirelabs.com
Just received this email from a customer in Arizona...

"Pete,

I have had your ethernet cable in my system now for 2 1/2 weeks and probably have over 100 hours on it. It replaced an audioquest cinnamon connected to my Weiss 501 Dac – streamer.

Your cable is really an exceptional product. Like your speaker cables and interconnects I already use, there is an open and airy natural presentation with great tonal balance; nothing seems to be out of whack or overemphasized anywhere in the audio spectrum. The bass was the biggest surprise, which now goes deeper and with more weight.

Bravo!

Larry
"

Reactions: Re-tread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing