A question about room demands on speakers

Ked, I really do get it
Really
Just skeptical on slumming it back w SS

Tone junkies should apply outside of the house of Apogee IMHO and into the colourful land of Audio Note or similar, where tone as a major factor of ownership is held in high esteem.

Overdoses of tone in my view constitutes high levels colouration. But so what? If that's yer bag...:)

I won't mind if you stick with your Zu's. That will be the path of least hassle & worry for you.

Your definition of tone is very different then. AN is a color. Tone is as close as you get to the real tone of violin, piano etc.

Tone junkies should apply outside of the house of Apogee IMHO and into the colourful land of Audio Note or similar, where tone as a major factor of ownership is held in high esteem.

Overdoses of tone in my view constitutes high levels colouration. But so what? If that's yer bag...:)

I won't mind if you stick with your Zu's. That will be the path of least hassle & worry for you.
Do you feel your interstellas not do tone well Justin? I get what you identify as colouration but portraying tonality is not the same thing and the best panel setups I have heard are exceptional at portraying tone.

Do you feel your interstellas not do tone well Justin? I get what you identify as colouration but portraying tonality is not the same thing and the best panel setups I have heard are exceptional at portraying tone.

His definition of tone is different.

He might struggle to appreciate tone until he starts listening to his tt more

He might struggle to appreciate tone until he starts listening to his tt more

Maybe that's why Bill is listening to his Lampi more over his Kuzma, Aesthetix IO Sig and Lyra.

Ked I think we were writing pretty much the same things simultaneously... but yes... am also wondering if it is just a terminology thing... ps love the AN is a colour line.

I know he is Ked
As he tells me, purely for convenience and breadth of library on streaming
Otherwise all I hear from him is how stunning tone and timbre are off his Io and how digital can't compare

If you mean portray an instrument accurately tonally then I'd say they are very good. If you mean changing the nature of what an instrument sounds like in reality to make it sound nice tonally then that's not where an Apogee is at.

1- Good tone = discriminating, full, fast
2- Bad tone = single colour imposed, euphonically warm
Surely any good component any self respecting audiophile would choose would be option 1 and run a mile from option 2

If you mean portray an instrument accurately tonally then I'd say they are very good. If you mean changing the nature of what an instrument sounds like in reality to make it sound nice tonally then that's not where an Apogee is at.
The first thing is tonality yes, and the second thing you describe is really just about colouration and about not accurately portraying tone... if you love music big doses of colouration (while initially can be attractive but after a time is a real turn off like a beautiful person who is without substance) and so it doesn't really sound that nice over time, more like living on a diet of triple cream cheese ... tonal accuracy and neutrality sounds more than nice (more naturally beautiful) whereas obvious colouration just sounds artificially pretty, dull, fat and synthetic. So I figure we are talking kind of about the same things but yes, just calling them different things.

Justin, you're always v welcome here to judge a more tonal density based system
If you hate it, we can always hit a pub or two
Would prob make you love yr Interstellas more than ever
But comparison to other data points always handy
Go on, you know you want to drive the 400 miles round trip

Justin, you're always v welcome here to judge a more tonal density based system
If you hate it, we can always hit a pub or two
Would prob make you love yr Interstellas more than ever
But comparison to other data points always handy
Go on, you know you want to drive the 400 miles round trip

LOL. One day maybe. I have heard a Zu before, but an inferior Zu to yours. I did like them. I have a pic somewhere. And I am telling the truth and not just being nice:)

I don't know about that, but my wife is on standby for Munich and my seat is OK. Not good!

Justin, the purpose of the visit would also be to gauge the benefit of my bespoke power grid and advantage of lovely acoustics on a tonally dense orientated system to max heft, dynamics and suprisingly good imaging and transparency
It would be a v different presentation from yours, and you remain v welcome
No AN or Kondo gloop here
I gave up putting six spoons of sugar in my tea when I was 12
Just why would anyone want the audio equivalent

Sure, please do
Zu are going to be in one of the big halls, in the German distributor's room, Mach One
The long awaited new flagships, Experiences, STILL not being launched (umpteen prototypes over 5 years, and perfection not found just yet)
But flagship trickle down tech will be demoed in the new Druid VI and Presence II, incl Vivid Giya-concept resin molded/Russian Birch monococque cabinet to max stiffness while reducing wt, Nano Tech infused paper cone full range drivers again to max stiffeness as light as poss, and top of the range Radian supertweeters
Sean Casey the designer will be demoing them and is the consummate host and DJ
If you want Diana Krall and The Eagles, stay away
He's more likely to play Mogwai, Ozric Tentacles, Rush, London Grammar, Porcupine Tree
Say hello to him and mention me, the Definitions 4 owner from UK who met him at last Munich
If you can get details on the forthcoming Experiences, please do
Remember Justin, if anything will keep me from the Duettas, it's the new Zus

I know he is Ked
As he tells me, purely for convenience and breadth of library on streaming
Otherwise all I hear from him is how stunning tone and timbre are off his Io and how digital can't compare

No, check again. You misrepresent as usual.

Last edited:
I really don't need to
But thanks for the suggestion
Btw yr reveal on those guys acting online like arses twds that other guy was SO enlightening
I'm glad you know you don't believe you're being snide
Thanks for the confession on that story, really enlightening
Now I know you're trying to bond with me while always sounding like a party bore
Don't bother keeping trying LOL

Last edited:
Justin, let us all know how long you persevere w SS before going back to the 211s
Your wife insisting on them staying put is not allowed LOL
Send her on an all expenses paid holiday to Paris or Dubai w unlimited spend on credit card and inform us when the tubes go back in

I really don't need to
But thanks for the suggestion
Btw yr reveal on those guys acting online like arses twds that other guy was SO enlightening
I'm glad you know you don't believe you're being snide
Thanks for the confession on that story, really enlightening
Now I know you're trying to bond with me while always sounding like a party bore
Don't bother keeping trying LOL

No. I was saying you were misrepresenting. Not being snide. Stating facts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing