Abbas dac 2.1 se

vinhxn

Dec 30, 2022
@Artnet sorry I didn't respond to your last PM. I was waiting for Abbas' answer and wanted to let you know about it. Abbas didn't answer for almost two weeks. I wrote him again shortly before the New Year.

Because it may interest others, I report here somewhat about it.

The power supply does not work at the moment, the diesel generator had also given him problems in recent weeks. Abbas writes that he also had to be a master of the generator :D

About a week ago, a missile was shot down over his house. The fragments hit about 15m from his house.

He writes that he and his family are doing well.

About my 3.2 Signature he writes, that the thicker case of higher quality and all other components have arrived. Mounting has already started.

As soon as I know more, I will report here.
He said the same to me about his situation. The only thing we can do is be patient and understanding of his circumstance. It's difficult to work in war environment. A room treatment company also sources their products from the Ukraine and I've been waiting more than 6 months for them to restock and still nothing. You might have to wait another 2 months or more as it will take him a lot of time to tune the DAC (~2 weeks), plus 300 hours of burn-in time plus shipping.

But congrats on your 3.2 Signature (Plus). It seems you will be the first person who will have the enhanced 3.2 Signature. He offered for me to ship it back and he would make the changes for free but the shipping cost back and forth (at least $750) plus waiting 3 months or more it's probably not worth it. He'll continually improve on the design so I might wait a bit more.

Reactions: jespera

vinhxn

Dec 30, 2022
The brand name is now on top.
What about the front face? I'd rather have a natural wood front vs piano laquered MDF (that chipped easily). Most of the cost went into components and his time but if he wanted his units to look high-end, it would be nice to have a thick aluminum case with thich aluminum faceplate. I hope he has a good cooling solution for you. This thing is a heater. I have to put it on the top rack running with the case open. It will be difficult to use this DAC in the summer.

Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
What about the front face? I'd rather have a natural wood front vs piano laquered MDF (that chipped easily). Most of the cost went into components and his time but if he wanted his units to look high-end, it would be nice to have a thick aluminum case with thich aluminum faceplate. I hope he has a good cooling solution for you. This thing is a heater. I have to put it on the top rack running with the case open. It will be difficult to use this DAC in the summer.
Abbas has added a cooling device to the rear panel of my 3.2SE. He acknowledges there is considerable heat due to the utilization of the "big bottle" 6080 tube of 1 per channel. The trade off I guess is component heat for big 6080 output stage sound. If the cooling device is effective, great. If not, I'll just keep the top lid off. I've done this for the past 8 years with my current Yamamoto DAC. Per jespera, it's worth it to get the big bottle sonic attributes.
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
@Artnet sorry I didn't respond to your last PM. I was waiting for Abbas' answer and wanted to let you know about it. Abbas didn't answer for almost two weeks. I wrote him again shortly before the New Year.

Because it may interest others, I report here somewhat about it.

The power grid does not work at the moment, the diesel generator had also given him problems in recent weeks. Abbas writes that he also had to be a master of the generator :D

About a week ago, a missile was shot down over his house. The fragments hit about 15m from his house.

About my 3.2 Signature he writes, that the thicker case of higher quality and all other components have arrived. Mounting has already started.

As soon as I know more, I will report here.

Good to hear that he’s ok.

Sad that the futin pucker will rather spend his resources on messing up neigbouring country’s electricity and water than sorting out the same for his own population.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
@jespera
How well do the hi resolution recordings sound down sampled via the DAC?
Charles

Some of the hires has been remastered and those usually sound poor. But if it hasnt been remastered then downsampled hires sound as good as ordinary 44/16. In some cases even better — most likely because they were made from better/closer-to-the-original source material.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
He offered for me to ship it back and he would make the changes for free but the shipping cost back and forth (at least $750) plus waiting 3 months or more it's probably not worth it. He'll continually improve on the design so I might wait a bit more.

Where are you located? I shipped my DAC back using Meest for about $100 from the US.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@vinhxn
I do not know if Abbas is trying to maintain his "devices" within a particular accessible price range or not. A thick aluminum case/chassis and front panel would certainly escalate the cost of his components. He may even say he does not like the sound of that material for audio (As some manufacturers have claimed)'
Charles

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Some of the hires has been remastered and those usually sound poor. But if it hasnt been remastered then downsampled hires sound as good as ordinary 44/16. In some cases even better — most likely because they were made from better/closer-to-the-original source material.
Thanks, that is good to know.
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

… and mqa is a scam: sounds like some same-same high freq glittery sparkle (“air”?) has been added to all recordings. Number one reason to switch from tidal to quboz.

Reactions: limberpine

vinhxn

Dec 30, 2022
Where are you located? I shipped my DAC back using Meest for about $100 from the US.
I'm in the Portland, OR area (West coast USA). He shipped the 3.2 Sig in 2 big boxes. One has the DAC (heavy). The other one has faceplate, tubes and cables. I think $310 was the cost.

vinhxn

Dec 30, 2022
@vinhxn
I do not know if Abbas is trying to maintain his "devices" within a particular accessible price range or not. A thick aluminum case/chassis and front panel would certainly escalate the cost of his components. He may even say he does not like the sound of that material for audio (As some manufacturers have claimed)'
Charles
If he had his way, nothing would be in a case. Components need to "breathe". He's trying to emulate music from the 30s-60s. Having a thicker case and proper shielding helps with interference. Without the top and sides, I can hear a hum standing close to the DAC.

Today I bypassed the AN M5 pre-amp and connected the DAC directly to the tube amps. Oh my, the soundstage increased by a third it seems. Downside is that the noise floor is much higher as well. When no passage is playing I can hear some noise but when a song plays, the noise floor increased. I've never recorded a clip before but I will try to record some clips and post them here.

Reactions: jespera and Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@vinhxn
A recommendation for a TVC /passive line stage was given to you recently and it’s an idea to consider. Given the effect of the high output voltage of the DAC in your audio system.

You have a long way to go with regard to burn-in and the 3.2 Signature settling in. At this early stage is the sound quality what you anticipated?

Do you use any form of vibration/isolation footers or platform? This Imay be beneficial for a fairly heavy DAC with 3 transformers and multiple tubes. Just a thought.

Additional time (Abbas told me 200 hours required for complete burn-in) and fine tuning make a difference. A lot of man hour labor is put into the Abbas DACs, especially for the 3.2 versions. Numerous special parts will need additional hours of usage.

Abbas has explained due to the presence of the “powerful and big” 6080 tubes, it’s essentially an amplifier inside the 3.2 DACs, I get his connotation.

One example, the Blackgate capacitors utilized are known to have a long burn-in period. This is likely so for the considerable amount of transformer iron (And chokes) in the DAC as well. I do appreciate you sharing your early experiences with your new DAC.
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
The power grid does not work at the moment, the diesel generator had also given him problems in recent weeks. Abbas writes that he also had to be a master of the generator :D

As soon as I know more, I will report here

Thanks Jurij for the news. The realities of the war there are increasingly dreadful to hear about. My last communication I commented to Abbas that its incredible that he can get anything done.
Amazing and generous with his time!!
look forward to hearing more.

Reactions: jespera

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
If only well vented timber boxes were an affordable option:)
In terms of money,time and focus expenditures it seems 5% exterior (Purposeful) and 95 % interior (Passion , parts and layout implementation). I’ll take that ratio. The bling resides inside.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713 and Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Abbas did this one-off project years ago.
I like the way its cased. Much better than those milled alu boxes that seem to be the standard for high end stuff.

I recall reading that article. I also like the wooden case aesthetic. BTW I heard from Abbas today. He’s hanging in there.
Charles

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
I'm in the Portland, OR area (West coast USA). He shipped the 3.2 Sig in 2 big boxes. One has the DAC (heavy). The other one has faceplate, tubes and cables. I think $310 was the cost.
I'm in Portland, OR too! I have an Abbas 4.0. We should meetup sometime!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing