Abbas dac 2.1 se

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
It or one similar would surely make you 2.0 kit sound better and handsome too.

It inspires me with my USB to SPDIF kit. might be time to test the cabinet making skills.
I have been thinking about what type of enclosure to make/buy for the 2.0 kit.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Well after resolving some unexpected international money transfer obstacles, Abbas received my payment yesterday. So I expect it to be shipped soon. Hopefully I won’t encounter any custom related issues.

It is amusing to me that I never heard of Abbas prior to stumbling upon this thread back in August. Needless to say I am very eager to hear how it fits into my DHT tube based audio system.
Charles

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
I have been thinking about what type of enclosure to make/buy for the 2.0 kit.

Have not seen pics of the 2.0 kit for a while but I recall looking at it and thinking if not 2 separate boxes definitely a partition from the power unit?

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
It is amusing to me that I never heard of Abbas prior to stumbling upon this thread back in August. Needless to say I am very eager to hear how it fits into my DHT tube based audio system.

Definitely will be relieved and excited to hear your impressions. It has been a journey thus far and am sure another more engaging one to begin shortly!!

No news for me yet but hopefully later this month.

Reactions: charles1dad

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Definitely will be relieved and excited to hear your impressions. It has been a journey thus far and am sure another more engaging one to begin shortly!!

No news for me yet but hopefully later this month.
I believe that we ordered our DACs in fairly close proximity of time. I suspect you will hear from Abbas shortly confirming that your 3.2 SE is completed.
Charles

Reactions: Artnet

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Reactions: limberpine

limberpine

Oct 14, 2021
And its working!

How are you enjoying the music?
It is working! I've only listened to it in my office setup, not my listening room yet, so I'm not sure.

Should be able to get it down to the listening room in the next couple weeks to see how it sounds down there.

Reactions: Artnet

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
Ahhh, I see what Abbas mentioned in some Email conversatios in regards of new cooling options.

Will replace it with some beQuiet fan...
I wrote today about the fan with Abbas and asked if a 60mm fan will be enough in the summer at warm temperatures. I also asked about the noise level of the Noctua fan. Abbas writes that this fan is very quiet and sufficient for warm temperatures in the summer. I proposed to Abbas to use a fan shroud decoupler, he says that the vibration is so small that it isn't necessary.

As for the alternative to Noctua fan, there is no better fan in 60mm. Be Quite has no fans in 60mm. The only notable alternative is the Noiseblocker with 2500rpm. The Noctua is available as PWM 1600-3000rpm and without PWM 3000rpm model. The quality of Noctua is unbeatable, I have tried them all in my PC and use mostly Noctua, but also Noisblocker and Fractal Design as case fans in places.

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
But congrats on your 3.2 Signature (Plus). It seems you will be the first person who will have the enhanced 3.2 Signature. He offered for me to ship it back and he would make the changes for free but the shipping cost back and forth (at least $750) plus waiting 3 months or more it's probably not worth it. He'll continually improve on the design so I might wait a bit more.
Thank you very much, I am also very happy about it.

It is very kind of Abbas to make the improvements free of charge. For me it cost 500€ extra, against the regular Signature.

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
What about the front face? I'd rather have a natural wood front vs piano laquered MDF (that chipped easily). Most of the cost went into components and his time but if he wanted his units to look high-end, it would be nice to have a thick aluminum case with thich aluminum faceplate. I hope he has a good cooling solution for you. This thing is a heater. I have to put it on the top rack running with the case open. It will be difficult to use this DAC in the summer.
I ordered piano lacquered MDF front.

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
@vinhxn
I do not know if Abbas is trying to maintain his "devices" within a particular accessible price range or not. A thick aluminum case/chassis and front panel would certainly escalate the cost of his components. He may even say he does not like the sound of that material for audio (As some manufacturers have claimed)'
Charles
My model gets a thicker case than the regular Signature wrote me Abbas.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@trinley
Good to know that you had contact with Abbas today. I emailed him a few days ago about shipping information and have not received a reply. A bit unusual for him. Maybe I’ll hear something in the next day or two.

BTW I appreciate the information regarding the interior fan. He has installed one in my DAC.
Charles

trinley

Dec 5, 2017
Duesseldorf
Abbas writes that he still gets electricity from the diesel generator and that fuel is very expensive at the moment. He tries to be in the workroom as much as possible to build our DACs and tries not to waste time on the computer.
He wanted to answer my other questions later.

Reactions: charles1dad

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
I wrote today about the fan with Abbas and asked if a 60mm fan will be enough in the summer at warm temperatures. I also asked about the noise level of the Noctua fan. Abbas writes that this fan is very quiet and sufficient for warm temperatures in the summer. I proposed to Abbas to use a fan shroud decoupler, he says that the vibration is so small that it isn't necessary.

As for the alternative to Noctua fan, there is no better fan in 60mm. Be Quite has no fans in 60mm. The only notable alternative is the Noiseblocker with 2500rpm. The Noctua is available as PWM 1600-3000rpm and without PWM 3000rpm model. The quality of Noctua is unbeatable, I have tried them all in my PC and use mostly Noctua, but also Noisblocker and Fractal Design as case fans in places.
Thanks a lot, didn't notice he is usingca Noctua, which is perfectly fine.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Thanks a lot, didn't notice he is usingca Noctua, which is perfectly fine.
Here’s a picture of my just completed 3.2SE with installed fan.
1673252797871.jpeg

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
As is plain to see, a metal partition was added between the circuit section and the row of transformers (3) and chokes (2). I appreciate that.
Charles

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing