Adding an EMC/EMI filter to my Farad Super3 Linear power supply

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I recently added several Schaffner EMC/EMI filters to my Farad Super3 linear power supplies. The results are a Significant improvement in clarity and lower noise floor. The midrange is dramatically clearer. I thought my system sounded pretty detailed and transparent but adding the Schaffner filters have taken it to another level. The improvement quite noticeable.

I had ordered the filters because I had been wondering how good the Farad's were at filtering incoming noise on the AC side as opposed to not generating noise on the DC side.

I think the answer is not so good. I think that is why I am hearing such a significant improvement adding the filter right before the Farad.

I have significant line conditioning in the system already with several dedicated AC lines, DC blocker, isolation transformer, and DigiBUSS. But apparently there is still room for improvement.

The Schaffner filters are pretty easy to implement. One side already has an IEC inlet and the other side has built in wire block. I connected some starquad 16awg with an IEC plug and was good to go.

Schaffner filters runs about $48 each for 10amp versions. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/355/FN2660-3049527.pdf

Attachments

• schaffner.jpg
    schaffner.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered 2, I will try and report.
It's my experience too that the farad is sensitive to the power input, cable etc.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Have you tried connecting the ground? or it's not necessary?
Did you make the starquad yourself?
I'm thinking of using the Canare 4S11

Are you also happy with the Viborg plug? You're using this one?

Last edited:

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Conne
Have you tried connecting the ground? or it's not necessary?
Did you make the starquad yourself?
I'm thinking of using the Canare 4S11

Are you also happy with the Viborg plug? You're using this one?

Just tried this...it doesn't work for the farad 10 though confirmed. The sound went backwards . It does however work for Paul Haynes. The sound improved.am having another LPs arrive soon will see how that one works:)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
It’s really amazing to see the potential of the Super3 upscale - so I was able to see steady improvement with better power cords from an Audioquest Monsoon up to a Dragon Source. Also there is an important filtering done as it’s connected to the Niagara 5000 power conditioner.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
This 60$ unit also works well with Farad making Dave sound fuller and cleaner.
If it works it doesn't matter...but just curious...is this a real Furutech product do you think or a copy? Price is quite reasonable.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
If you want to try something that works and is made by a true technology company Schaffner has this model:

You do have provide your own male ac end ( country dependent) They have other types in their catalog that are pre terminated- But I believe this one is the highest performing one.

Reactions: Solypsa

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Conne

Just tried this...it doesn't work for the farad 10 though confirmed. The sound went backwards . It does however work for Paul Haynes. The sound improved.am having another LPs arrive soon will see how that one works:)
Did you compare the super 3 to 10? What are you powering with the super 10?
What's your impression of it?
I have a super 3 powering a roon nucleus and contemplating ordering the 10

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Conne

Just tried this...it doesn't work for the farad 10 though confirmed. The sound went backwards . It does however work for Paul Haynes. The sound improved.am having another LPs arrive soon will see how that one
Conne

Were the Farad Super10 and Paul Haynes powering the same component? If so, what component was it?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Different components. Just network gear:) in Australia we have internet called the nbn. It's powering that

Reactions: SlapEcho

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Powering the modem or router or modem/router?

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I found the LPS improved the sound of the system the most(for streaming) when used on the farthest upstream device. Usually the modem for those in the US.

More recently I observed the filters improved the sound most when used on the most upstream device as well.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
ys indeed worked better for the modem not the router for me too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing