Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
Or has anyone else found something else than these two which sounds “better” than Farads level 2 DC cables?
I was just searching for this information, and apparently some favour Zenwave DC cables. After reading some of these treads it was clear to me that this is system dependent and not as simple as one is better than the other. For example: "Audio Sensibility silver is too much of a good thing", or "Zenwave has more air, but lacks body". Some favours Ghent over Farad, and different opinions on Farad copper and silver cables. The best thing (but most expensive) is perhaps to test them in your own system. Personally tempted to test the Ghent Gotham dc cable, even though I am very happy with Farad level 2 copper so far.

Reactions: jasond

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I was just searching for this information, and apparently some favour Zenwave DC cables. After reading some of these treads it was clear to me that this is system dependent and not as simple as one is better than the other. For example: "Audio Sensibility silver is too much of a good thing", or "Zenwave has more air, but lacks body". Some favours Ghent over Farad, and different opinions on Farad copper and silver cables. The best thing (but most expensive) is perhaps to test them in your own system. Personally tempted to test the Ghent Gotham dc cable, even though I am very happy with Farad level 2 copper so far.
True, these cables are system dependent. I have Level 2 silver on all my Super3s. I have never tried anything else just curious if anyone have compared different against the silver 2s.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
True, these cables are system dependent. I have Level 2 silver on all my Super3s. I have never tried anything else just curious if anyone have compared different against the silver 2s.
Understand. Hope there will be some replies, since I am curious about this myself. On a different subject, I did experience a big step in performance when I changed from a stock AC power cord to a Tubulus Concentus v2. Still breaking in..

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Understand. Hope there will be some replies, since I am curious about this myself. On a different subject, I did experience a big step in performance when I changed from a stock AC power cord to a Tubulus Concentus v2. Still breaking in..
The same here. The change from a stock AC to a Vertere RedLine power cord made a huge difference. I think yours is in the same price range as mine. Not sure it’s logical to pay close to the same price for a power cord as for a Super3 Nevertheless its worth it.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
The same here. The change from a stock AC to a Vertere RedLine power cord made a huge difference. I think yours is in the same price range as mine. Not sure it’s logical to pay close to the same price for a power cord as for a Super3 Nevertheless its worth it.
It depends how you see it. I think the Farad PSU demands an investment in the power cords to get the most out of it. So in terms of sound quality it makes perfect sense. I mean the sound is so much more immediate, dynamic, with more details. So happy with the Tubulus so far, but can't make the best evaluation because I have 3 new cables in the system. So have to see where this ends up the next weeks.

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I have several Farad's powering my system so ended testing several different cables in the pursuit of higher audiophile neurosis:)

I tried the following:

Stock Farad 4x26awg stranded copper in PE with starquad
Level 2 Silver from Farad 4x(26awgx2) solid silver with starquad
Ghent Audio 2x16awg Neotech
DIY 2x16awg Mundorf silver/gold $$$$
DIY 4x18awg stranded 6N OCC copper in foamed teflon(VH Audio) with starquad twist
DIY 4x18awg solid 6N OCC copper in foamed teflon(VH Audio) with starquad twist
DIY 4x18awg 5N solid silver in teflon tubes with starquad twist

The best sounding of the group was the DIY 4x18awg 5N solid silver in teflon air tubes with starquad twist. It provided the blackest background, the most transparency and detail, better bass output and extension, and the largest sound stage. It was a significant improvement over the Level 2 Silver which sounded thin in comparson. The 16awg Mundorf silver/gold had a full and smooth sound but lacked detail and transparency vs the DIY solid silver.

There is a DIY thread on building your own starquad DC cable on Audiophilestyle which motivated me to build and try the different versions.

Upgrading the AC and DC power cords and the fuse has definitely elevated the performance of the Super3 to another level.

Last edited:

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I have several Farad's powering my system so ended testing several different cables in the pursuit of higher audiophile neurosis:)

I tried the following:

DIY 4x18awg stranded 6N OCC copper in foamed teflon(VH Audio) with starquad twist

The best sounding of the group was the DIY 4x18awg 5N solid silver in teflon air tubes with starquad twist. It provided the blackest background, the most transparency and detail, better bass output and extension, and the largest sound stage. It was a significant improvement over the Level 2 Silver which sounded thin in comparson. The 16awg Mundorf silver/gold had a full and smooth sound but lacked detail and transparency vs the DIY solid silver.

There is a DIY thread on building your own starquad DC cable on Audiophilestyle which motivated me to build and try the different versions.

Upgrading the AC and DC power cords and the fuse has definitely elevated the performance of the Super3 to another level.
That was a lot of experience. How did the Ghent Audio compare to the DIY and Farad?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Or has anyone else found something else than these two which sounds “better” than Farads level 2 DC cables?
This was significantly better than the Farad Level 2 copper cable when I was powering a Chord TT2 with the Super 3: Signature Silver DC Cable (audiosensibility.com)

One has to be patient with it as there's a hardness initially. That vanishes in a few weeks. The cable becomes very special after that point.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can thoroughly recommend the Sablon Audio Elite power cord on the Farad. Indeed, I can readily hear differences btwn silver and platinum Bocchino versions.
I might investigate the Sablon DC cable against the Farad Level 2 one currently in use.
The Farad powers my SOTA motor for TT.

Reactions: Gunnar

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
That was a lot of experience. How did the Ghent Audio compare to the DIY and Farad?
The Ghent was more detailed, better bass, and more dynamic than the stock Farad. The DIY starquad solid copper had even better detail, blacker background, and larger sound stage.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
The Ghent was more detailed, better bass, and more dynamic than the stock Farad. The DIY starquad solid copper had even better detail, blacker background, and larger sound stage.
Thanks. Did you try the level 2 copper from Farad? It's the one I use.

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I only tried the stock and the Level 2 Silver from Farad.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I only tried the stock and the Level 2 Silver from Farad.
The Farad level 2 copper works really well here. I have been looking to find a better tonal balance for my system, and mostly use copper cables. With the Farad Super with Tubulus AC power cord, and Farad level 2 copper, now the sound is smooth without much listening fatigue. Was really surprised how much adding this power supply for a swtch did for the bass foundation, and overall balance. For my taste it sounds like Ghent might be the other option in terms of DC cable. There is this Ghent Gotham priced for under 100 $, seems a low risk to try that one. For now I am not into DIY. Too lazy ;)

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I added a furutech dps 4.1 power cable with fi50 connectors to the super 3 and it brought a lof of quietness, noise reduction and increase in ambiance and micro dynamics and micro details, it's also a smooth and relaxed cable. I find it good for digital.
I wanted to try the diy mundorf cable that is mentionned on AS.
I didn't find the thread/post for the star quad build, would you mind linking it pls?
Where did you get the 18awg 5n silver cable from?
Anyone able to source better quality aviation connectors?

Last edited:

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
I added a furutech dps 4.1 power cable with fi50 connectors to the super 3 and it brought a lof of quietness, noise reduction and increase in ambiance and micro dynamics and micro details, it's also a smooth and relaxed cable. I find it good for digital.
I wanted to try the diy mundorf cable that is mentionned on AS.
I didn't find the thread/post for the star quad build, would you mind linking it pls?
Where did you get the 18awg 5n silver cable from?
Anyone able to source better quality aviation connectors?

Reactions: _Alchemist_

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Me too and I think the same as you.

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Anyone taken delivery of a super 10 yet?
I've ordered mine mid nov and my dealer says he still hasn't received.

Abolive

May 8, 2020
I tried the following:

Hello,
I read on the AS thread that it can be difficult to feed DC connectors with large wires. The 4x18 should equal to 12 awg. Which connector did you use? And where did you source the silver wires?
Thank you very much

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Anyone taken delivery of a super 10 yet?
I've ordered mine mid nov and my dealer says he still hasn't received.
Apparently the issue is with the dealer and not with Farad.
Lead times seem to be about 2 weeks at the moment.

Has anyone tried one yet and can report?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing