Adele 25

Just watched the DVRed Saturday Night Live with Adele. What I find with Adele is that as good as her music is, seeing her sing brings it to an entirely level. And more so in this more mature version:

Sorry guys but I don't know who can stand up and say this is not great music/performance.

I will compare the sound quality later to the CD but on my living room system playing through an AVR and Revel bookshelf speakers, it sounds pretty good.

Amir,
Unlike her production crew,SNL puts a lot of effort into their sound production values for their live acts. They always have, even if you don't like the guest artist on the show, at least it is always going to sound good.

Also Arsenio Hall show always had fantastic SQ for his artists, back in the day.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

________

Amir and Davey, I am truly sorry but I'm just being honest. I love Adele, but she ain't swinging my boat, or very little.
And Davey, it don't mean a thing to me if her record has set a new world's record in sales for this past week. It means her fans are buying.
Like Celine Dion; gifted with a nice voice, but not @ Celine's level. They both have many fans, Madonna too, and c'est la vie...the music, the voices, the recordings. ...Some we like more and some less. I prefer others.

That's just my opinion, as frank as it can be with 200% respect towards everyone; Adele, Amir, Davey, and Robert (dong). :b
Some folks lose their job for their opinion, others lost their life, and few got banned. :D

I don't have her last CD, so I don't know the production values of that recording; I go with the youtube video, mainly.

Last edited:
The British/European releases of the earlier albums "XL records" apparently sounded better. The best was the DVD and CD from her Royal Albert hall concert.

What I truly want is for Whitney Houston's albums to be remastered in best quality HiRez. the CD are fine, but I want "more better".

Hater's gonna hate, right?

Personally, I celebrate any artist who is the primary writer, plays instruments and has ultimate creative control over their musical legacy, who shuns endorsements, celebrity co-labs and tabloid gossip for more "exposure", who will scrap half an album's worth of songs because they're not authentic enough, and remain vulnerable enough to sing with soul on material that is clearly personally-inspired.

Not only do I find that incredibly refreshing and encouraging in this day and age of manufactured, ephemeral pop-music, I'm encouraged that at least 2.433 million other people in the US think it's worth listening to also - actually buying the album (25 is responsible for 42% of all music sales, only half-way through its first-week release) - in spite of its obviously mass-marketed sonics.

Perhaps that suggests the desire for authentic artistry remains greater than the desire for pristine and beautifully mastered sonics.

Amir and Davey, I am truly sorry but I'm just being honest. I love Adele, but she ain't swinging my boat, or very little.
Oh that is perfectly fine Bob. We all have different tastes and I often run into strong recommendations for music that is not to my liking. Sorry that the strong tone of my note sounded otherwise. :)

BTW, do we know who did the recording and mastering? I looked up XL records and it says they have a garage shop in the back more or less to produce music or something to that effect :). Did they actually do the recording and mastering?

Listened to the CD today. The sound is not good at all as many have noted here. As for the songs, it is a step down from 21, although there are a few gems. with When We Were Young, Million Years Ago and All I ask being the real keepers IMHO. The SNL appearance and the Roysal Albert Hall Blu-ray show that she is best experienced live. I look forward to doing so some day.

XL Studio[edit]

In early 2008, Russell transformed the rear garage of the label's Ladbroke Grove headquarters into a small, in-house recording and mixing studio called XL Studio. It served as a makeshift studio space for the label's various artists and his own projects until producer Rodaidh McDonald was assigned in September of that year to manage and properly equip it in preparation for the xx to record their self-titled debut album. According to McDonald, "before Richard brought me in to be Studio Manager, it was just a bit of a free-for-all. Artists could come in and rehearse, demo or write here and things like that ... but it was good idea and we decided we should be stepping it up and making records here."[24] Russell and McDonald were inspired by the success of modest studios such as Hitsville U.S.A. and wanted to create an economic, non-commercial space.[25]

Set up specifically with the xx in mind, XL Studio features little outboard gear and is equipped with a Neotek Élan custom 24-channel mixing console, Yamaha NS10 studio monitors, and instruments that include an upright piano, Roland Juno-60, Moog Prodigy, Vox Continental organ, and Sequential Circuits Pro-One synthesizer.[24] Russell and McDonald augmented the studio to twice its original size after the xx's album, which was done in what became the studio's control room; they incorporated an adjacent office as the studio's live room for musicians.[25]
==========================

On 24 January 2011, XL Recordings released the album 21 by Adele. In February the (then) 19-year-old OFWGKTA member Tyler, the Creator was signed for a one album deal for his second studio album and commercial debut Goblin.[17] Singer Gil Scott-Heron died in May and his final recordings, "I'm New Here" (produced by Richard Russell), and the remix album, "We're New Here" made with Jamie xx were released on XL Recordings.[18] The label also released new albums by Radiohead, Friendly Fires, and The Horrors and singles by Jai Paul and Portishead, as well as the Adele Blu-ray/DVD, Live at the Royal Albert Hall.[19]

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2012/jan/04/adele-success-major-label

Amir,
Unlike her production crew,SNL puts a lot of effort into their sound production values for their live acts. They always have, even if you don't like the guest artist on the show, at least it is always going to sound good.
Yes I noticed that. The sense of space was excellent and ability to hear the (slight) raspiness in her voice was very satisfying. Another show that does an excellent job is The Voice.

On 24 January 2011, XL Recordings released the album 21 by Adele. In February the (then) 19-year-old OFWGKTA member Tyler, the Creator was signed for a one album deal for his second studio album and commercial debut Goblin.[17] Singer Gil Scott-Heron died in May and his final recordings, "I'm New Here" (produced by Richard Russell), and the remix album, "We're New Here" made with Jamie xx were released on XL Recordings.[18] The label also released new albums by Radiohead, Friendly Fires, and The Horrors and singles by Jai Paul and Portishead, as well as the Adele Blu-ray/DVD, Live at the Royal Albert Hall.[19]

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2012/jan/04/adele-success-major-label
Thanks. I had read this but as you see, it says "released" and not recorded there. Check out this recording she did at Church Studios which seems like a very proper recording studio:

http://thechurchstudios.com/

Hater's gonna hate, right?

Personally, I celebrate any artist who is the primary writer, plays instruments and has ultimate creative control over their musical legacy, who shuns endorsements, celebrity co-labs and tabloid gossip for more "exposure", who will scrap half an album's worth of songs because they're not authentic enough, and remain vulnerable enough to sing with soul on material that is clearly personally-inspired.

Not only do I find that incredibly refreshing and encouraging in this day and age of manufactured, ephemeral pop-music, I'm encouraged that at least 2.433 million other people in the US think it's worth listening to also - actually buying the album (25 is responsible for 42% of all music sales, only half-way through its first-week release) - in spite of its obviously mass-marketed sonics.

Perhaps that suggests the desire for authentic artistry remains greater than the desire for pristine and beautifully mastered sonics.

I agree with your post for the most part, completely but, by that logic all the indi artists out there should be outselling everything else. There is more soul/creativity/effort/salt or whatever you want to call it in that music than any other, but it does nothing for me.

This thread has two different themes here, 1. the lacking sonic quality of the CD and 2. Personal artist/music preference.

So I don't think its a matter of "Haters gonna hate" just a matter of preference. If it doesn't float your boat no amount of water is going to do so. There doesn't seem to be any hate here just expressing preference.
While there is so much good music in the indi market, my boat does not make sail there.

On item 1, we as audiophools listen to so much mediocre music just because it sounds fantastic. Jazz at the Pawnshop is one that comes to mind, nice recording with a fantastic intimacy about it, mediocre music at best. There are many selections/artistI see here that I investigate and have the same opinion about after I hear them. It is our own personal musical journey.

So what I see here is Xavier ;) and others saying is no amount of water under it is going to float it and choose to listen to something else, the personal music journey of the self. No harm no foul.

Adele to me is beautiful/talented/soulful/creative and has a backstory that is impressive and has a fantastic voice.. I actually see her music as heavily blues themed pop in her message. But the whole boat thing for me.

For me Ricki Lee Jones Chuck E's In Love floats mine on a multitude of levels, but not to concerned if nobody else drifts by while I am enjoying my moment.

Jack White to me has a brilliant music experience to share and I love it all the way to his bank, part of my journey, not appreciated by a lot of others.

Compared to soooooo many other threads here I can appreciate the civilness (my word) of this one.

I will record the concert tonight and check it after it is over.

Peace Love and Understanding All Y'all

Last edited:
If you like RLJ then pick up the Mofi 45RPM boxset of her debut album. :)

I agree with your post for the most part, completely but, by that logic all the indi artists out there should be outselling everything else. There is more soul/creativity/effort/salt or whatever you want to call it in that music than any other, but it does nothing for me.

This thread has two different themes here, 1. the lacking sonic quality of the CD and 2. Personal artist/music preference.

So I don't think its a matter of "Haters gonna hate" just a matter of preference. If it doesn't float your boat no amount of water is going to do so. There doesn't seem to be any hate here just expressing preference.
While there is so much good music in the indi market, my boat does not make sail there.

On item 1, we as audiophools listen to so much mediocre music just because it sounds fantastic. Jazz at the Pawnshop is one that comes to mind, nice recording with a fantastic intimacy about it, mediocre music at best. There are many selections/artistI see here that I investigate and have the same opinion about after I hear them. It is our own personal musical journey.

So what I see here is Xavier ;) and others saying is no amount of water under it is going to float it and choose to listen to something else, the personal music journey of the self. No harm no foul.

Adele to me is beautiful/talented/soulful/creative and has a backstory that is impressive and has a fantastic voice.. I actually see her music as heavily blues themed pop in her message. But the whole boat thing for me.

For me Ricki Lee Jones Chuck E's In Love floats mine on a multitude of levels, but not to concerned if nobody else drifts by while I am enjoying my moment.

Jack White to me has a brilliant music experience to share and I love it all the way to his bank, part of my journey, not appreciated by a lot of others.

Compared to soooooo many other threads here I can appreciate the civilness (my word) of this one.

I will record the concert tonight and check it after it is over.

Peace Love and Understanding All Y'all

Hey Hi-Fi Guy,

There'll always be artists that for a million reasons we never "get", or we "get" but never "love". It's completely a matter of preference, I totally agree.

And that absolutely extends to creative decisions made during the producing, tracking, mixing and mastering sessions too. There's a thread on Gearslutz right now with dudes arguing over the mix of "Hello", with a near 50/50 split on how awesome, modern, present/horrible, auto-tuned, compressed it is. That is, there's a bunch of dudes who have significantly large opinions on how they would have done it differently - y'know, had they actually been asked to mix the project, which they weren't. Sound familiar?

Sometimes our opinions are disproportionate to their influence. That's the power of the internet for you.

For those who'd like to know, "Hello" was mixed at Capitol's Studio C by Tom Elmhirst on a Neve VRS, who has previously mixed "Skyfall", "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You".

Even on some single group music fan Websites there are splinter groups and/or specific concerts/albums that some people love and others don't care to listen to; why should it be surprising that on a general music site there is an artist that not everyone likes??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing