Adele 25

If you like Adele, the person, and/or like her music, beautiful.

If you don't, so be it.

Live and let live. No need to justify.

I will state this, however. If you've posted you don't like her and/or her music, is there a reason why you believe/feel you need to repeat it? Does it make you feel better? Does it make your opinion more valid? Did you think others didn't hear you the first time? These are rhetorical questions; those who feel the need to answer need not apply.

As an aside, if you don't purchase this album because it is not mixed/mastered to your personal satisfaction, you're lost. Capital A Audiophiles are something else.

+1

You know having a dislike or an unfamiliarity with an artist is perfectly acceptable, IMO.
Personally, i like all music...it's all good...but I guess that's the musician in me talking.

I appreciate the sheer talent that Adele provides and I would love nothing more than to place this album in the thread "What is new in my music collection? (recent purchases I enjoy)". The music, while it isn't the taste of some here, I just so happen to enjoy. Here is where the issue lies with me.

While I am not one of those snub-nosed audiophiles that refuses to listen to great music because of poor sound quality, it does affect my choices when I go to listen sometimes. Music is the bliss. Always is, always has been and always will be.

With that said, I happen to have a system that brings out the best of what music has to offer. I don't have to put up with just "listening". The system I have has the ability to truly "experience" the music. This is what I am personally accustomed too and anything substandard becomes a detriment to my enjoyment.

Adele's albums have the potential to be so much more than a moving experience. Her music is powerful, empowering and I believe it was Tim that quoted this phrase, "if ever there was a chance for beauty, she is it". The thing is, the sound quality is so daggum bad that I reserve listening to her in a vehicle traveling at 60 mph with the windows rolled down. On the reference rig, the sound is so horrid that it becomes impossible for me to thoroughly and truly enjoy. I will never "experience" her music the way I have the ability to do with so many more artists.

That should NEVER be the case with such talent. Ever.

Here is another thing.......how many of you have albums that you have 2, 3 5, 6 or maybe even 7 copies of? Perhaps more in all kinds of formats? I have a handful of albums like this.....all in trying to get the best sound possible. The best example I can think of off of my head is Pink Floyd's DSOtM. I have probably 6 to 8 issues, reissues, Mo-Fi, SACD, LP, blah, blah, blah of this particular album. That's not the only album I have that is in the same situation (with multiple copies on multiple formats). Adele is robbing herself of many more sales, not only now as sales are booming on this new album, but in the future as new generations discover her music many decades from now.

I personally feel that her music is timeless (you may beg to differ) and that she isn't just some fly by night artist to be forgotten in 5 years. I also feel that maybe she hasn't even hit her prime yet. That may be up to debate but to be honest, I do not care. History will be the only factor to determine that, not anyone's opinion.

This album as well as 19 is recorded so badly that she gets very little play time and I can guaranty you that I will never purchase another copy in any format, unless perhaps I lost or broke my CD. Even then, I still wouldn't rush out to the music shop to replace it. In fact, if something happened to my copy, I'd probably listen to the live DVD on the TV or simply watch You-Tube videos of a song I would yearn to hear again.

My point is that she is better than this. Much, much better than this. IMO, her music should be held to the highest of standards on the recording front. If this album and 19 were up to the same recording/mastering/release standards as Jazz at the Pawnshop or Bruce's DXD of the Sheffield Drum Track, I could promise you all that her sales over the next 2 decades or longer would greatly increase. Not only that, audiophiles like myself that have a system capable of delivering a reproductive experience would actually LOVE to put her album in and share with future generations.

Tom

I will state this, however. If you've posted you don't like her and/or her music, is there a reason why you believe/feel you need to repeat it? Does it make you feel better? Does it make your opinion more valid? Did you think others didn't hear you the first time? These are rhetorical questions; those who feel the need to answer need not apply.

Why did you feel the need to ask?

I appreciate the sheer talent that Adele provides and I would love nothing more than to place this album in the thread "What is new in my music collection? (recent purchases I enjoy)". The music, while it isn't the taste of some here, I just so happen to enjoy. Here is where the issue lies with me.

While I am not one of those snub-nosed audiophiles that refuses to listen to great music because of poor sound quality, it does affect my choices when I go to listen sometimes. Music is the bliss. Always is, always has been and always will be.

With that said, I happen to have a system that brings out the best of what music has to offer. I don't have to put up with just "listening". The system I have has the ability to truly "experience" the music. This is what I am personally accustomed too and anything substandard becomes a detriment to my enjoyment.

Adele's albums have the potential to be so much more than a moving experience. Her music is powerful, empowering and I believe it was Tim that quoted this phrase, "if ever there was a chance for beauty, she is it". The thing is, the sound quality is so daggum bad that I reserve listening to her in a vehicle traveling at 60 mph with the windows rolled down. On the reference rig, the sound is so horrid that it becomes impossible for me to thoroughly and truly enjoy. I will never "experience" her music the way I have the ability to do with so many more artists.

That should NEVER be the case with such talent. Ever.

Here is another thing.......how many of you have albums that you have 2, 3 5, 6 or maybe even 7 copies of? Perhaps more in all kinds of formats? I have a handful of albums like this.....all in trying to get the best sound possible. The best example I can think of off of my head is Pink Floyd's DSOtM. I have probably 6 to 8 issues, reissues, Mo-Fi, SACD, LP, blah, blah, blah of this particular album. That's not the only album I have that is in the same situation (with multiple copies on multiple formats). Adele is robbing herself of many more sales, not only now as sales are booming on this new album, but in the future as new generations discover her music many decades from now.

I personally feel that her music is timeless (you may beg to differ) and that she isn't just some fly by night artist to be forgotten in 5 years. I also feel that maybe she hasn't even hit her prime yet. That may be up to debate but to be honest, I do not care. History will be the only factor to determine that, not anyone's opinion.

This album as well as 19 is recorded so badly that she gets very little play time and I can guaranty you that I will never purchase another copy in any format, unless perhaps I lost or broke my CD. Even then, I still wouldn't rush out to the music shop to replace it. In fact, if something happened to my copy, I'd probably listen to the live DVD on the TV or simply watch You-Tube videos of a song I would yearn to hear again.

My point is that she is better than this. Much, much better than this. IMO, her music should be held to the highest of standards on the recording front. If this album and 19 were up to the same recording/mastering/release standards as Jazz at the Pawnshop or Bruce's DXD of the Sheffield Drum Track, I could promise you all that her sales over the next 2 decades or longer would greatly increase. Not only that, audiophiles like myself that have a system capable of delivering a reproductive experience would actually LOVE to put her album in and share with future generations.

Tom

Tom, great post. I couldn't agree more with everything you say. Such a HUGE shame that Adele is recorded so so poorly. I agree with you 100%, on my system her music just doesn't get played much....too many other great sounding pieces, to want to hear such a mess as her recordings have turned out to be. Someone should try and get her recording company and management to rectify that...although I'm sure nobody there would give a darn about this....after all, look at the success she is getting without them concerning themselves with the SQ.

Hello and good evening to you, sir. Thank you for the kind words.

Tom

Speaking of Tim, I would love to have his input too. ...And from Gary as well, and Mike, and everyone else; on Adele as an artist singer and as her four recordings so far, including this one, on a technical quality level. ...Plus of course the lyrics.

* And I apologize; this was the very first time ever in my life that I was so active in a music thread. ...But it's all good really because I still love Adele for who she is and what she gave to all her fans. There is always a flip side to a coin, and there is no magic; the two sides are opposite and different...unless the coin was premeditated in its fabrication to have two exact same sides. ...Used by "magicians" of the trade. :D

I played "Risk" (you know that game where you have armies on the board and you try to occupy all world's countries with the rolls of two dices) the other day, and I lost.

Here is the deal guys.... No one leaves this thread until everyone loves Adele 25! I don't care if it takes a day or a week. The door remains locked, pizza slid under the door until there is agreement...

Tom, great post. I couldn't agree more with everything you say. Such a HUGE shame that Adele is recorded so so poorly. I agree with you 100%, on my system her music just doesn't get played much....too many other great sounding pieces, to want to hear such a mess as her recordings have turned out to be. Someone should try and get her recording company and management to rectify that...although I'm sure nobody there would give a darn about this....after all, look at the success she is getting without them concerning themselves with the SQ.

Go get the XL CD that comes with the Royal Albert Hall concert DVD, you will likey!

Hi Wisnon,

Just played the vinyl and expected at least some semblance of a decent recording. Unfortunately it's abysmal. God only knows how bad the CD is by comparison.
Never liked the vinyl of 19or 21, the live at RAH was not much better.
I had the pleasure of seeing Adele at the Union Chapel with Damien Rice as support in the early days and as a Dalston/Hackney boy love Adele.
However her voice is now much higher in pitch and relentless. She used to have depth, now just wails.

By comparison, listening to Justin Bieber in 44/24 and the production is tight, clear and modern with great expansive soundstage. Just shows what a producer can bring to the party. It really is a great modern pop record.

So disappointed in 25.

Blue58

The vinyl rip was "rice krispies" so lots of stylus noise, but better dynamic range. Not too great either. Royal AH CD from the DVD package is best recording of Adele so far. May fav track so far on 25 is "a million years ago".

Adele is the best pop voice to emerge since Whitney Houston, so I will remain a fan, even as I think 25 is not the greatest album.

I can see it already, a remastered "audiophile grade" - Best of Adele/Greatest hits - in stores next year. LoL

Here is the deal guys.... No one leaves this thread until everyone loves Adele 25! I don't care if it takes a day or a week. The door remains locked, pizza slid under the door until there is agreement...

Adele called me this morning with a message for the WBF forumites. She says:
"She's sorry for breaking your audiophile hearts, and that it still clearly tears you apart...and Hello from the other side of the Pond: London".

LoL

Since you insist Amir :D, answer me this. How is it that she's so good yet no one here can stand listening to her?
david

Amirm, love Adele 25 if it's available on the groove and I can have the first pressing, hope it isn't too much to ask for...:D

The vinyl rip was "rice krispies" so lots of stylus noise, but better dynamic range. Not too great either. Royal AH CD from the DVD package is best recording of Adele so far. May fav track so far on 25 is "a million years ago".

Adele is the best pop voice to emerge since Whitney Houston, so I will remain a fan, even as I think 25 is not the greatest album.

I can see it already, a remastered "audiophile grade" - Best of Adele/Greatest hits - in stores next year. LoL

We agree Wis! There are 2 great tunes on this release and 2 good ones. The rest, filler. A Million Years Ago is one of the great tunes!

We agree Wis! There are 2 great tunes on this release and 2 good ones. The rest, filler. A Million Years Ago is one of the great tunes!

So what are your favourites, as defined by Great and then by Good?

Since you insist Amir :D, answer me this. How is it that she's so good yet no one here can stand listening to her?
david

There are several here who have said they like Adele, myself included. None of us however are pleased with the recording and sound quality of her albums, which certainly puts a damper on the overall listening experience. Just like Amy Winehouse and Duffy, all of their combined recordings are subpar at best and they don't nearly get the playing time they actually deserve, and that's a tragedy.

david
You are all jealous because you don't get paid to do this:

adele.gif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing