Administrative Recommendation To Remedy Political Discussion and Ad Hominem Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It often comes back to the notion of introspection. There was a recent denial by a poster that his comments were political. He claimed they were facts.

That was no denial, Peter. Global warming is a fact, not politics, which is what I factually pointed out. Please don't mischaracterize.

Al

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That was no denial, Peter. Global warming is a fact, not politics, which is what I factually pointed out. Please don't mischaracterize.

Al
Hi Al

This is our very point. You can see how simple comments elicit knee jerk reactions and how feelings can escalate

Reactions: Joe P and PeterA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Global warming is a fact, not politics, which is what I factually pointed out. . . .

Al

And there we go back into impermissible politics. Al, I am afraid you just showed us why we need this policy.

You were wrong to spark another political argument on WBF about where global warming is a fact or not.

Take your global warming opinions off this website.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi Al

This is our very point. You can see how simple comments elicit knee jerk reactions and how feelings can escalate

I understand, Steve. But scientific facts are scientific facts. I do not want to live in a world that accepts anything as "fact" or "alternative fact" to real facts. If we cannot live in a fact-based society, we are doomed. And fake political correctness, a collective kubayah for the sake of "peace", does not help.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
And there we go back into impermissible politics. Al, I am afraid you just showed us why we need this policy.

You were wrong to spark another political argument on WBF about where global warming is a fact or not.

We cross-posted, Ron. See my post above.

I am perfectly willing to abide by No Politics. I have proven this by voluntarily deescalating an exchange on that other thread.

However, as a scientist I cannot accept when scientific facts are denied.

It may be politics when it comes to deciding what to do about a scientific fact. But the fact itself is NOT politics.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Al

This is an illustration of why I think that this policy, in order to succeed, will require introspection from the members as well as enforcement by the moderators.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We cross-posted, Ron. See my post above.

I am perfectly willing to abide by No Politics. I have proven this by voluntarily deescalating an exchange on that other thread.

However, as a scientist I cannot accept when scientific facts are denied.

It may be politics when it comes to deciding what to do about a scientific fact. But the fact itself is NOT politics.

If the global warming threads have proven anything they have proven that this is a highly politically-charged issue. You may be correct; perhaps time will tell. I have no idea. I don’t know, and I don’t care.

What I do know is that this is a highly politically-charged issue, and that your post violates our ban on politics.

Steve and I have responded to your post. We are not debating your point any longer. Your continued posting on this subject is exactly why we need a stronger enforcement mechanism to dissuade members from posting about politics.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron's ice is melting, fact

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If the global warming threads have proven anything they have proven that this is a highly politically-charged issue. You may be correct; perhaps time will tell. I have no idea. I don’t know, and I don’t care.

What I do know is that this is a highly politically-charged issue, and that your post violates our ban on politics.

Steve and I have responded to your post. We are not debating your point any longer. Your continued posting on this subject is exactly why we need a stronger enforcement mechanism to dissuade members from posting about politics.

Ron, I thought we had already settled this via PM, didn't we? This should have sufficed.

Ands yes, we do not need to debate this any longer.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I thought we had already settled this via PM, didn't we? This should have sufficed.

Ands yes, we do not need to debate this any longer.

I did not see your PM until after I posted this. Yes, the issue is closed. :)

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: Ron Resnick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, we're never gonna see a "150,000 economists warn of the dangers of Brexit" thread? Surely we could be confident of keeping that one apolitical and non-partisan Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I appreciate the thought but I would veto this myself. I feel very strongly that such a forum would achieve nothing other than the unnecessary destruction of high-end audio and music friendships.

Cordon off the political threads versus let them happen among all the others? It would not be the location of such that would cause "the unnecessary destruction of high-end audio and music friendships."

Isn't that what happened with the great objectivist vs subjectivist upheaval? Wasn't the objectivist stuff cordoned off?

Reactions: Gregadd

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Just an observation; you wouldn’t need to ban anything if people always posted with respect....the fact that a forum is on the whole anonymous seems to make some people believe that they are off the hook as far as respect goes. That should not be the case....the fact that we don’t know people doesn’t mean they don’t have social responsibility to treat their fellow humans with dignity and respect. A cloak of anonymity doesn’t given anyone a free pass to be a sh1thead. To put it errrr bluntly.
I have to say, I don‘t see this much on this particular forum, but maybe I don’t frequent the right haunts. Quite frankly politics on a hi-fi what’sbestforum probably isn’t really what’sbest and it does tend to bring out ‘behaviour” in a few folk. So gone! Got rid of! Never to be spoken of again! the new ‘P’ word. Heaven knows it seems to be everywhere else at the moment so I don’t feel any sense of loss. I would however like to see blatant disrespectfulness and nastiness addressed in exactly the same manner. I honestly don‘t see why we should ever tolerate it. It may not be a big problem here but its becoming one on other fora(?) so I believe no tolerance is the best way to keep things how most everyone likes it, discussing, debating and sometimes respectfully disagreeing on matters of hi-fi. Discussions need 2 viewpoints and debates 2 sides so disagreement is inherant and even desirable sometimes, so all I’m asking is disagreement with respect and absolutely no abusive stuff.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So, we're never gonna see a "150,00 economists warn of the dangers of Brexit" thread? Surely we could be confident of keeping that one apolitical and non-partisan Lol.
Marc

To me this a typical post of yours where either on purpose or not you have a tendency to fan the flames. Knock it off

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Actually, it's a serious point. Just what did you/all of you, think would happen w the aforementioned thread?

Some sharing of differing opinions, brotherhood of man stuff? It was always going to be political from the get go. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Yes, my point is serious. Why not have a thread about Brexit? If you think you can keep it apolitical.

And I don't take to being told to knock it off Steve. Nothing political there from you, 100% personal.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually, it's a serious point. Just what did you/all of you, think would happen w the aforementioned thread?

Some sharing of differing opinions, brotherhood of man stuff? It was always going to be political from the get go. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Yes, my point is serious. Why not have a thread about Brexit? If you think you can keep it apolitical.

And I don't take to being told to knock it off Steve. Nothing political there from you, 100% personal.

O.k., Marc, you're not actually serious, are you? You really are in it to fan the flames, and you know it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You guys said that you don't want to delete, to ban, you don't like members (your friends and family) insulting each other, demeaning others, insulting their intelligence, ...yet you don't even follow your own rules.

* It's true that politics is in nowhere, politics is dead dead dead as the most dead particle of dead dust from the Sahara desert. Audio has zero politics behind, high end audio dealers are zero interested in politics, musicians and artist singers and songwriters have zero political views, movies have zero to do with politics, ...politics is in nowhere and has zero place, zero tolérance here in the website you created with all your founding supporters, audiophiles, music lovers from the four corners of the globe.

Sports have nothing to do with politics, it's all in the spirit of fair game, good time, having fun, camaraderie, friendship, good sport, competition, encouragement, kids support for a healthy lifestyle (boxing, football, hockey, etc.).

Cars have zero to do with politics, not gas not electric cars, not Italian or German or American design, no brute force, no power big enough, no footprint, no hi-end status, no social discomfort, no excesses of luxuries, nothing zero nada zip diccaddiddoo to do with politics.

Wines have nothing to do with politics; it's to drink and enjoy in good health (physical and mental).

Ultra hiend audiophiles have zero political interest, not even the smallest tweaks.

Turntables they spin zero politics, only sweet piano and violins.

The space beyond our galaxy have zero politicians flying in, they wouldn't have any audience to feed in. The space we live in is the space we rotate our music into orbit ...

* Typo

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
O.k., Marc, you're not actually serious, are you? You really are in it to fan the flames, and you know it.

I think Marc's point is a thread on global warming is as likely to be apolitical as a thread about Brexit, or as non controversial as a thread that says digital is better than analog. I do agree to Tima's idea to have a political subforum at least on trial basis. If it keeps people happy for a month or two continue with it else close it

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
FWIW, I have some simple recommendations for the admins as well, also covered in part by others:

1) Close political threads immediately
2) Do not bother responding to private complaints - cut down on your management duties
3) Do not punish or put anyone on notice in such threads, just do #1

All these achieve quick resolution with the minimum amount of friction and management time

PS: @Al M. follow me on facebook if you want, you're gonna love it

Reactions: jfrech
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing