Administrative Recommendation To Remedy Political Discussion and Ad Hominem Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Al, I've told my GF that I'm #1 bad boy on WBF, she's hugely impressed.
Reminds me of that one Episode from Seinfeld were George is getting some from a beautiful blonde (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of his league) because she thinks he's a bad Boy :D:p;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Let’s be real here. It’s a bunch of wealthy senior citizens on this site who can’t handle not being in control. They were always the bossman and would simply fire anyone in real life who didn’t agree with them. Now they have to revert back to their youth and run to mommy.

This is the type of post that we mentioned called ad hominem attacks as it has been reported several times already today.

warning point issued

These will not be tolerated any more

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree that Brexit is inherently political.

Ron,

Your last 19 posts are on this thread. What else is needed to persuade our administrators that the global warming is probably an inherently political subject?

The portuguese islands of Azores have a good climate, but in one of them most of the time there is daily five minute rainfall period. Years ago , according to some new national meteorologic standards this changed the daily forecast to "slight rain", something that was bad for tourism. And then the climate became a political problem ...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It seems like the issue is some claim fact, others claim the fact is a political device.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Today there's politics in everything, even movie posts because actors have inserted themselves in it. Ron started a few in the past and here's a recent one from Steve, Can You Believe This-The Government Wants Us To Go EV but In So Doing They Will impose a gas surcharge. Even this thread is political and from what I understand started because of complaints by some members who I'm not even sure were participating but see fit to deny others their right to argue. That's as political as it gets!

IME if you allow the conversation to take it's natural course it will die sooner than later, it all becomes boring and nothing new to say after while. This way or by censoring you make it a lot more important than it actually is. I'm not for an anything goes forum because it will invite others from outside the community to come in just for that, most of us engaged in these topics are regulars and sometimes families bicker, so what.

david

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It seems like the issue is some claim fact, others claim the fact is a political device.
Climate change is a natural phenomenon that has been part of earth's history and no one's denying that it happens but "Climate Change" is a political tool that can easily be used as a tool for governance worldwide controlling everyone and everything. Brexit is another example, on the one hand it's a political move but the way it is unfolding with Corbyn, anti-Semitism is a major election issue! Anti-Semitism isn't a political issue and given Europe's history and the recent rise of ant-Semitic crimes is becoming a human crisis and societal failure, do we ignore it because it might offend some? It's going on in one of the political parties over here too, how can it be discussed when there's a political party involved. To avoid all conversation outside of audio gear might be the only way because everything else is connected to politics, but is that what everyone wants?

David

Reactions: tima

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Climate change is a natural phenomenon that has been part of earth's history and no one's denying that it happens but "Climate Change" is a political tool that can easily be used as a tool for governance worldwide controlling everyone and everything. Brexit is another example, on the one hand it's a political move but the way it is unfolding with Corbyn, anti-Semitism is a major election issue! Anti-Semitism isn't a political issue and given Europe's history and the recent rise of ant-Semitic crimes is becoming a human crisis and societal failure, do we ignore it because it might offend some? It's going on in one of the political parties over here too, how can it be discussed when there's a political party involved. To avoid all conversation outside of audio gear might be the only way because everything else is connected to politics, but is that what everyone wants?

David

can we please move on from the entire topic of politics

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Personally, I am a bit conflicted about all of this.

On the one hand, I would welcome sober, reasoned discussions about all subjects on this forum because I respect the views of people here who seem to know more than I do about a lot of things. I could read the Economist or the WSJ for opinions about Brexit or many other topics, but in some virtual way, I feel I know some of the members here pretty well and would enjoy learning how they feel about certain topics.

On the other hand, I have seen too many times how some threads veer into politics and then all manner of behavior changes, people's personalities switch, and all heck breaks loose. It is unpleasant, and can become quite nasty and revealing of character. It is clear that left unchecked, the discussions can unravel pretty quickly.

It seems that Steve and Ron have already made the decision to ban any topic which veers towards politics, and they are willing to enforce their TOS. Is there really anything else to discuss?

To Steve and Ron: Are you soliciting comments and suggestions by keeping this thread open?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
To add to political/environmental post "facts" is that you can find "Science " facts that support any view point you choose to align with. Science and scientists are wrong everyday. Just because you find something that aligns with you does not make you holier than thou and every one else be damned. At this point the gross generalizations of everyone that does not agree with you starts followed by name calling.
Anything environmental or governmental is going to go there immediately or eventually, every single time.
I see two options here, delete the entire post immediately.
Start a politics forum and let her rip. Move everything there.
But most of all I thing people need to stop being pussy's and quit sniveling to moderators over this stuff.
Seriously guys Steve and Ron spending even one second on this is ludicrous.

Why are you fanning the flames with a discussion of science versus facts? Do you really think that is helpful? :rolleyes:

We are not doing a separate politics forum. It is not up for discussion.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Let’s be real here. It’s a bunch of wealthy senior citizens on this site who can’t handle not being in control. They were always the bossman and would simply fire anyone in real life who didn’t agree with them. Now they have to revert back to their youth and run to mommy.

Speak for yourself. I don’t know what you’re talking about. This post has no relevance to our policy to enforce our ban on politics.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

David

This post is full of politics.
This post violates our ban on politics.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
global warming is probably an inherently political subject?

. . . ...

I could imagine that thread progressing without violating the ban on politics. I was giving our members the benefit of the doubt, hoping that our members would exercise enough introspection to hug the line without going over it. I was wrong.

We seem to have too many snooty-snoggers and boomers who are not introspective enough to try to understand with patience and intellectual honesty the other side’s views, and would rather be keyboard warriors and start food fights.

This is why we will never have a politics forum.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just as "all politics is local",all debate is political. This very thread has become political. Silence reinforces the status quo.
Carried to its' logical conclusion could we have a discussion on tax policy as it relates to electric cars?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This post is full of politics.
This post violates our ban on politics.
That was exactly my point anything outside of audio gear can lead to politics, even discussion on banning it :)! Do you, Ron & Steve allow anything else or is this it?

Edit to clarify so my post isn't misunderstood again- There was nothing political in my post above, anti-Semitism is uncomfortable but isn't a political subject nor is climate change in context of science and shifting of earth's axis but they both have a political context today as does education, sex and entertainment. I don't believe you should ban every non audio subject but better do it because moderating and micro managing every conversation is a minefield or let people be.

david

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I visit this forum to learn about and share audio geek stuff. After a couple forays into a few of the off-topic threads I've learned to simply avoid them. I'm happy to see some policing wrt to politics. It troubles me politics has crept into so many things. Autumn Sundays are for football, not politics. I now censure certain films out of my "would like to watch" list because the actor has chosen to use his/her platform for politics. On it goes—I go for an occasional group ride on my bike but now have to avoid those groups that have a bunch of political activists. FUN, I WANT TO HAVE MORE FUN IN MY LIFE! And much less bumping into things that are NOT FUN, LIKE POLITICS! (And no, it was not myself who complained to the moderators—I'd have had to visit those offending threads which I avoid.)

Reactions: asiufy and Joe P

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Personally, I am a bit conflicted about all of this.

On the one hand, I would welcome sober, reasoned discussions about all subjects on this forum because I respect the views of people here who seem to know more than I do about a lot of things. I could read the Economist or the WSJ for opinions about Brexit or many other topics, but in some virtual way, I feel I know some of the members here pretty well and would enjoy learning how they feel about certain topics.

On the other hand, I have seen too many times how some threads veer into politics and then all manner of behavior changes, people's personalities switch, and all heck breaks loose. It is unpleasant, and can become quite nasty and revealing of character. It is clear that left unchecked, the discussions can unravel pretty quickly.

I agree, we should all be able to chat in a mature calm manner like with Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
If you want to get rid of all politics, then just get rid of any forums that are not audio related. Everything else of any real importance is political by definition, except maybe family or religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing