Advice on hifi system around 25-30k euro

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you for all the replies so far. I’ve never looked into Tannoy. How is the heritage line-up ( Arden, cheviot, eaton). I quite like the retro look. I’ve been considering JBL L100 classics for the same reason.

Should these speakers be paired with tube gear for best results? And are there Tube amplifiers with DAC and phono stage integrated you know of that would pair well?

As i wrote in my original post, most music has to sound enjoyable. Ultra-resolution is not the most important. But i don’t want a sloppy bass when listening to Electronic music or a thin sound when listening to 80’s recordings.

Where are you from?
If in Europe, you might want to look at the FP series from hORNS. You probably like the look and the sound of them and they should match wonderfully with the Lampizator Amber3Amp.

robje24b

Oct 7, 2012
I’m in the Netherlands, i will check out the lampizator gear.

There are not many Tannoy dealers in the Netherlands (just 1 i think). There are many Harbeth dealers on the other hand. How do the current Tannoy heritage series compare to the Harbeths? Do they have a similar sound signature?

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Where are you from?
If in Europe, you might want to look at the FP series from hORNS. You probably like the look and the sound of them and they should match wonderfully with the Lampizator Amber3Amp.
Super good proposal!

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’m in the Netherlands, i will check out the lampizator gear.

There are not many Tannoy dealers in the Netherlands (just 1 i think). There are many Harbeth dealers on the other hand. How do the current Tannoy heritage series compare to the Harbeths? Do they have a similar sound signature?

The current is not good you have to buy vintage. 15 inch golds can me bought in Lockwood cabinets or custom made from reference fidelity in the UK

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for all the replies so far. I’ve never looked into Tannoy. How is the heritage line-up ( Arden, cheviot, eaton). I quite like the retro look. I’ve been considering JBL L100 classics for the same reason.

Should these speakers be paired with tube gear for best results? And are there Tube amplifiers with DAC and phono stage integrated you know of that would pair well?

As i wrote in my original post, most music has to sound enjoyable. Ultra-resolution is not the most important. But i don’t want a sloppy bass when listening to Electronic music or a thin sound when listening to 80’s recordings.

No you need gold drivers in bigger cabinets, like the York cabinet. I will try to get some videos to show but might take a few days

Reactions: the sound of Tao

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Hi I didn't say use less power for tannoy. I recommended a 30 watt class A Luxman integrated.

Also black, silver, red, were 16 ohms, reducing in efficiency, gold and later was 8. Gold you can still drive with 833c 20 watts as well as HPD 315a. Or with kronzilla, Nat, Allnic 6000.

Being 16 ohms doesn't mean reduced efficiency, in fact, efficiency at 1 watt is the same.
ie: a speaker that is 16 ohm-100db 2.83v/1m means that it needs 0.5 watts to generate 100db, efficiency at 1 watt would be 103db.

What it means is that is suitable for amps with higher output impedances, and that it probably would sound worse than the 8 ohms version with solid state amps.
Some speaker manufacturers take advantage of this misconception to make their speakers appear more efficient than they are on paper (ie: 4 ohms-90db 2.83v/1m means that the speaker needs 2 watts to produce 90db, so the 1 watt efficiency is 87db.)

Reactions: MPS

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Being 16 ohms doesn't mean reduced efficiency, in fact, efficiency at 1 watt is the same.
ie: a speaker that is 16 ohm-100db 2.83v/1m means that it needs 0.5 watts to generate 100db, efficiency at 1 watt would be 103db 2.83v/1m.

What it means it that is suitable for amps with higher output impedances, and that it probably would sound worse than the 8 ohms version with solid state amps.
Some speaker manufacturers take advantage of this misconception to make their speakers appear more efficient than they are on paper (ie: 4 ohms-90db 2.83v/1m means that the speaker needs 2 watts to produce 90db, so the 1 watt efficiency is 87db.)

I am aware of that. I am saying their impedance changed and their efficiency also. The oldest ones (black, then silver) are usually run on pretty low watts, though I have never been able to hear one due to rarity. The new tannoys after 70s need more grunt

Reactions: marmota

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I am aware of that. I am saying their impedance changed and their efficiency also. The oldest ones (black, then silver) are usually run on pretty low watts, though I have never been able to hear one due to rarity. The new tannoys after 70s need more grunt

Ah, now I see, my fault for misreading!
PS: sorry for the off topic

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
My friend in Osaka introduced me to one of his audio buddies (in his 70s and lifelong audio nut). In his dedicated room he runs Tannoy Autographs with black drivers driven by Shindo 300b. Lovely. He had two other pairs of Tannoys and 4 pairs of varous and special vintage full range speakers as well as different amps for all...quite the menagerie :)

Reactions: hogen and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My friend in Osaka introduced me to one of his audio buddies (in his 70s and lifelong audio nut). In his dedicated room he runs Tannoy Autographs with black drivers driven by Shindo 300b. Lovely. He had two other pairs of Tannoys and 4 pairs of varous and special vintage full range speakers as well as different amps for all...quite the menagerie :)

This guy has autograph with silver tannoy and Allnic amps I would love to hear

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...he-allnic-m-2500-monoblock.30677/#post-652603

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

If tannoy, you need to go vintage. Preferably gold or hpd or older. New ones are awful.

10” good, 12” better, 15” awesome. The bigger cabinet the better.

Vintage tannoys demand and deserve analogue. Treat yourself to a classic idler: garrard 301, 401, thorens td 124 or a pimped lenco.

Copland’s integrated valve and hybrid amps are good one stop solutions (cta 504 and csa 28 for example). Phono but no built-in dac.
Vintage luxman can also be good for example L100.

Abbas dacs are the best.

Save a bit of money for a valve phono stage upgrade, and spend the rest on LPs from analogue productions.

Jesper

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Vintage tannoys sound great with digital also. Also HPD 315a which are just after the good are good for classical

Last edited:

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Theres risk and hazzle to buying old tannoys though. Many have suffered from abuse in studios (watts, beer, smoke) and subsequent amateur xover experiments.

If this is not for you and you want new id say devore or zu. And ptp lenco.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Zu over JBL? Silly to me.

If you really want a good integrated tube amplifier I could try to help you pick one.

If you get a nice one, with good speakers you won’t really care about going cheap on digital. There is a guy that uses Oppo with vintgae speakers on YouTube. You can tell the speakers and amps sound wonderful even with a well measured but horrible sounding source.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
If tannoy, you need to go vintage. Preferably gold or hpd or older. New ones are awful.

10” good, 12” better, 15” awesome. The bigger cabinet the better.

Vintage tannoys demand and deserve analogue. Treat yourself to a classic idler: garrard 301, 401, thorens td 124 or a pimped lenco.

Copland’s integrated valve and hybrid amps are good one stop solutions (cta 504 and csa 28 for example). Phono but no built-in dac.
Vintage luxman can also be good for example L100.

Abbas dacs are the best.

Save a bit of money for a valve phono stage upgrade, and spend the rest on LPs from analogue productions.

Jesper
Always wanted a pair of Tannoy Kingdom 15s. They sound amazing.
1578088258549950977.jpg

robje24b

Oct 7, 2012
Theres risk and hazzle to buying old tannoys though. Many have suffered from abuse in studios (watts, beer, smoke) and subsequent amateur xover experiments.

If this is not for you and you want new id say devore or zu. And ptp lenco.

I've never heard vintage tannoys, nor have i heard the new tannoy heritage series. I imagine the presentation of these speakers will be completely different than what i'm used to (vivid audio, magico). I'm hesitant in buying vintage tannoys because i have very little knowledge of speakers, let alone vintage ones. But i must say i'm interested in them.

Are the new tannoys really that bad? Or just not up to par with the 70's models?
Or are there better options when buying new like looking into the newer JBL models (e.g. the L100 classic?)

I will look at devore and zu speakers also.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi Robje,

Are you from Holland becouse I am and I know a lot of people named Rob;)

The most important thing in a good audio system is the power supply. Use an audio switch in the meter box for example from Siemens but there are many brands. Pull a well-shielded cable(for about 25 euros per meter you already have a fine cable) to your listening room and use good grounding best one only for audio use. Connect this cable directly to a well-designed plug block around 500 euros you already have a nice one. For the electro smog I recommend a Maxiimus (Kemp Elektroniks) to quite a hefty investment around 2500 euros, which you earn back in sound and image quality and no more expensive cables needed best way is to install in meter cupboard . Good cables are needed but not expensive like I had before, so good copper and nice solid couplings . My experience is that cables of 10000 euros can be replaced by cables of 100 euros and then you no longer hear any difference this high end audio sellers do not like. And neither do audiophiles who own such expensive cables. I missed this in all the other messages and most audio things here also tell little to nothing about it.
Good luck with your search for a beautiful installation.
Last tip buy almost everything second hand saves at least half you can for 35000 euros definitely put an installation of 70,000 euros.

Best regards.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, if you have a bigger room, where you can pull put speakers from the front and side walls, suggest devore orangutans O/96 with new audio frontiers integrated 2a3 amp

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Dont buy anything without listening.

Hans Hiberink is a dutch tannoy and luxman aficionado. He may be able to put you in contact with
some people with tannoys in your local area. Alternatively, try to shout out at the yahoo tannoy group.

https://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm

Ive owned the westminster royal (built in 2013) and even my 10" completely ran circles around them.
So yes, I dont think theres any comparison.

Ive heard original L100's on a couple of occasions and I thought they were ok but I wasnt really bowled
over. Dont know how the reissue model compares. Try if you can get to listen to them.

Zus are a bit of an acquired taste, but i like them. They need valves though.

Jesper

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing