Affordable ethernet filters

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Denver, CO
Hey everyone. I am looking for a truly affordable ethernet filter that actually works. Noise is the enemy which causes jitter, right?

I am using an ethernet cable between my router and computer, which inturn feeds my dac thru a SilkLine USB to SPDIF converter which filters and reclocks the signal.

So adding an ethernet filter should be the last reasonable step in improvement?

Are there affective filters that sell for under $100 US?

I have two of these. They work well. iFi LAN iSilencer - LAN Signal Noise Filter - Remove Electrical Noise - Ethernet Isolator for Hi-Res Audio Systems (RJ45) https://a.co/d/hbyz3KJ

Last edited:
I have a couple of the iFi LAN Silencers, they do work. But I think the Stack Audio SmoothLAN goes further and cleans up the sound more. It is a bit more than double the price of the iFi

Stack Audio SmoothLAN Ethernet Filter

I have a couple of the iFi LAN Silencers, they do work. But I think the Stack Audio SmoothLAN goes further and cleans up the sound more. It is a bit more than double the price of the iFi

Stack Audio SmoothLAN Ethernet Filter
I love the SmoothLan so much, i bought two! Run one from the wall plug to the Switch, then the other from the switch to the streamer.

I have the iFi, DX Engineering (best used in pairs), EMO en-85e, EMO en-30, Stack Audio SmoothLAN, and a few others. The standout for consistent sound quality improvement has been the SmoothLAN in both my systems.

The ONLY downside I can think of is that it is only 10/100mbps. No gigabit. Far more than enough for streaming audio, but for, say a music server.....where it is polling SQL tables/loading images/grabbing metadata/etc.....this may not be preferable.

I run an EMO en-85e on my Roon Nucleus Titan and SmoothLANs on both of my endpoints.

UPDATE: I'm BJC Cat6A all the way through. Plastic connectors and floating shields at both ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69
The iFi did a better job of eliminating nasties in an overall sense, in both my systems. BUT, it sacrified detail and dynamics and scale. Inoffensive and smart money.

The DXE's were overall more revealing and pleasing in my system, but I'm addressing network nasties from multiple different directions. For a first network audio mod, iFi is likely a safe bet <unless> you find your current system overly dark.

So of the products listed, I am currently looking at the iFi vs the DX Engineering. Which is better?
In comparison to the Stack or the EE1 the iFi is well 3rd.

Reactions: NaimYourTubes
The iFi did a better job of eliminating nasties in an overall sense, in both my systems. BUT, it sacrified detail and dynamics and scale. Inoffensive and smart money.

The DXE's were overall more revealing and pleasing in my system, but I'm addressing network nasties from multiple different directions. For a first network audio mod, iFi is likely a safe bet <unless> you find your current system overly dark.

I am looking to reduce both haziness and fatiguing digital artifacts from my otherwise neutral and revealing system.

I prefer the sound of vinyl over digital, so I prefer a smoother and more organic presentation overall.

So I am looking for a balance between the above, while maintaining enough soundstaging, imaging and resolve to satisfy.

Would you say that the iFi is more like analog?

Reactions: NaimYourTubes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu