Air Force Zero PRICE

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Francisco, for the price they're proposing, I want a Pagani Zonda, not a Ford pick up.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That’s just a working prototype not the final product.
david
I would not call any of the TechDas TT’s beautiful, functional yes, not beautiful!
The AS is in a other league in the looks department !

Reactions: bonzo75

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hey Francisco, for the price they're proposing, I want a Pagani Zonda, not a Ford pick up.
As usual you can not pick something normally regarded as pretty, like a Ferrari.
You have to go for the really special item Marc. Like your audio choices ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Lagonda, I pay Ford prices, I get Ford design. Or should I say, Polski Fiat.

Do you think any supercar manufacturer getting away with a design anything like this? Even supercar prototypes leave you breathless.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Oh Lagonda, I pay Ford prices, I get Ford design. Or should I say, Polski Fiat.

Do you think any supercar manufacturer getting away with a design anything like this? Even supercar prototypes leave you breathless.
You are right, it’s butt ugly ! Japanese are not exactly known for their beautiful
designs.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Is it just me, or does that look like three designers were involved, none of whom talked to the others.

I'm sorry, but visually, that's a miss
IMHO, YMMV, YYY (Yada Yada Yada).

Yeah, had to do a double take as I thought the base was a separate isolation platform and not part of the whole. They need to hire a good industrial designer! Don't they understand that design and casework needs to be about 75% of the budget in today's market? ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

After some googling I found I prefer the Ford pickup looks ...:)

f1.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I can't tell the difference, I really can't. Maybe not enough red LOL.

Btw, Japan do plenty of cool tt design.
Technics SP10
Spec GMP-8000
Original American Sound
Micro Seiki
To name just 4.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We should wait and see the final product before passing judgment, working prototypes are just that aesthetics will come in later.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well, I can't tell the difference, I really can't. Maybe not enough red LOL.

Btw, Japan do plenty of cool tt design.
Technics SP10
Spec GMP-8000
Original American Sound
Micro Seiki
To name just 4.
Like i said , functional, not beautiful ! And i still have my doubts about the “Japanese”origin of the American Sound. Time to confess and take credit
David ! ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Like i said , functional, not beautiful ! And i still have my doubts about the “Japanese”origin of the American Sound. Time to confess and take credit
David ! ;)
I wish I could Lagonda but the original engineering was done by a far smarter person, I had twenty years to improve and perfect some details that led to the AS2000. There's nothing new with any turntable made today just variations on the same themes with some more successful than others.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I wish I could Lagonda but the original engineering was done by a far smarter person, I had twenty years to improve and perfect some details that led to the AS2000. There's nothing new with any turntable made today just variations on the same themes with some more successful than others.

david
And you managed to make the “old girl” one of the prettiest TT in the process !
Down to the Logo and everything else. Kudos to you David !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
There is something about these high mass designs. I cant explain it but I can certainly hear the superiority of the American Sound over the other less heavy tts sitting next to it in my room. Techdas AF1P is excellent. No doubt about that. You can read from users comments and professional reviews. But Only when you hear it sings next to the AS you will realize why Nishigawa san has to build the AF Zero. Being the owner of AF1P, I am not so fond of the technological unnecessaries they put into it. They just make the tt more prone to irregularities and dont yield any better sound. I also dont find any benefit in having the vacuum holddown. But I press the button "suction" anyway just because it is there. Afew users in Thailand also dont use this function. The air pump suspension is another gimmick that I think Techdas can do without. Anyway, I think this AF Zero will be phenomenal with a lot more bling and features than the AS. A least two will be coming to Bangkok. I will have an opportunity to hear it next to the AS in the Living Voice and WAMM systems. Will give impressions once that happens.

Kind regards,
Tang

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yeah, had to do a double take as I thought the base was a separate isolation platform and not part of the whole. They need to hire a good industrial designer! Don't they understand that design and casework needs to be about 75% of the budget in today's market? ;)

I continue to be amazed over how much TT appearance (particularly those plastic coated exotic wood plinths) has influence on purchase decisions. Copper coated platters also seem popular. There may or may not be sonic benefits but I've read many posts where 'tables are rejected based solely on looks.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tim, nobody ever bought a supercar based on looks ALONE. But if the Bugatti Veyron or Pagani Zonda looked anything like this, there'd be an uproar in the car community.

£350k better get you supreme performance AND aesthetics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I continue to be amazed over how much TT appearance (particularly those plastic coated exotic wood plinths) has influence on purchase decisions. Copper coated platters also seem popular. There may or may not be sonic benefits but I've read many posts where 'tables are rejected based solely on looks.

We have such a large choice of excellent equipment that we can afford to exclude turntables with looks we dislike. There are some pieces of equipment I consider excellent sounding that I would never own just because of the esthetics.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I visited TechDAS office/factory in Tokyo in September. Nishigawa san showed me the drawing of Air Force Zero, I was not allowed to take any photo.

At the time,they were testing the air pump used for the air bearing to determine the best pressure needed. The platter of Air Force Zero weighs more than 120 lbs. The upper platter is tungsten, it is supported by a titanium layer, gun metal and stainless steel in that order. The base is a 14 inch rotor.

There should be a second platform near the platter level. The photo is a stripped down working prototype without any cosmetic decorations. The overall external design follows Air Force One. It is a lot larger and has 4 pillars instead of 3 in AF1. If you like the look of AF1, you will like AF0.

Reactions: Bodhi and CKKeung

TLi

May 27, 2016
Does anyone know if this is a limited build. Or they will be built to order as they are sold.

Only 50 Air Force Zero will be built. It is because TechDAS only has 50 NOS motors left from Micro Seki era. Those air bearing motors are used in AF0.

I don’t know if they’re taking preorder at the moment. At least I am not aware of it. I visited them as a potential buyer of AF0 and they did not mention anything about it.

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing