Alexx V arrive in NJ

Great reviews Marty

Welcome to the world of Pure Class A. I understand totally your description with the drum kit demo. I call it “layering” which as you say becomes evident with pure Class A .

I told you I’m going to be buried with my amps. I sense the same for you as well ;)

As an aside was the drum kit demo vinyl or digital that you commented upon

Marty,

great write-ups as always; i always learn from your posts and this time quite a bit. can tell you are feeling good about your new amps. very happy for you and look forward to reading more about your journey.

cheers,

Mike

Marty,

Really superb posts. I could particularly relate to the discussion about class A and also the ability to play loud and remain convincing. I had three different Pass Aleph models and there is surely something very special about class A.

I enjoyed your description of the system being able to scale up in volume and remain convincing. After living with my new system for a few months, I talked to ddk about how I really enjoyed turning the volume up for particular types of music: Led Zeppelin and big band jazz As well as Mahler and some classical music. It had not been as enjoyable to do it with my former system for reasons you describe quite well.

David told me that essential to a natural sounding system is the ability to play loud when the music demands it and not lose those aspects of the sound that make a performance sound real. Some systems just can’t do it, as you noted. They will just fall apart at high volume. That your new amplifiers enable you to scale up the volume with certain for certain music with your system is cause for celebration. Congratulations.

Thanks to many for the kind comments above.
Peter, I almost fainted reading your post. I never would have figured you for a Zepp head!! Ked, we knew about, but not you!! o_O:cool:

Not that Gryphon needs the help, but Marty's comments may sell a few amps. Hell, I'm thinking about a stereo Mephitso, but my Spectral would be jealous.

Not that Gryphon needs the help....
Not sure about that. They are hardly flying off the shelves at audio salons. In fact, when you have a capable distributor like Philip O'Hanlon and they continue to remain relatively unknown, you wonder, what's going on? Also remember, this is an amp that is a 10+ year old design! I guess audiophiles would rather purchase the latest bells and whistle stuff that reviewers write about.

Maybe being all but ignored despite being excellent is how great vintage equipment is born? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
Marty,

As usual a very eloquent set of posts and very informative. I am thrilled that you have found amps that make you happy and end the terrible path of the past year. As you describe the class A sound, I too flash back to a pair of former amps the next model up on the Pass Aleph chain and 60 wpc. I remember having trouble going to bed because the music was so "sweet". I also remember the heat and listening without clothes. When I changed amps the "sweetness" went away and the temperature went down, even with greater output.

Just reading your write-up makes me yearn for class A amps, despite having amongst the best AB designs, VAC 452's.

What is most important is I hear an excitement in your voice that I have not heard for a long time and certainly not during the past year.

What is most important is I hear an excitement in your voice that I have not heard for a long time and certainly not during the past year.
Russ

i totally agree. I read Marty’s write up several hours ago and phoned him to congratulate him for the reasons you mention.

Well Carlos,
I know you for a fact have had the experience of what set up has on the final outcome. This is important with all components and component changes.
As I said and have said many times , so many have purchased tons of gear and yet have not used a great resource to get the most out of wha tthey have bought. IMO this is foolhardy but what do I know :)
Hi Elliot,

Without a doubt. Until you've seen and heard a setup master extraordinaire do his magic in your room with your own eyes and ears, you won't believe the before and after effect. It's well worth the investment and in my humble opinion, a highly recommended part of comparing any major equipment changes in your system.

Reactions: Elliot G.
Not sure about that. They are hardly flying off the shelves at audio salons. In fact, when you have a capable distributor like Philip O'Hanlon and they continue to remain relatively unknown, you wonder what's going on,. Also remember, this is an amp that is 10+ year old design! I guess audiophiles would rather purchase the latest bells and whistle stuff that reviewers write about.

Maybe being all but ignored despite being excellent is how great vintage equipment is born? :rolleyes:
I wish Philip still distributed the brand, myself.

Reactions: sbnx
Congratulations, Marty! I am ecstatic for you that this long and arduous amplifier journey has a very happy ending!

Congratulations Marty!
Mighty is a great description of those beasts. I am biased as a fellow Gryphon owner but there is something special about their approach that pulls one over. May you have Many future hours of blissfulness!

Thanks Marty. I hope to hear it.

Can you upload a pix. I know its in the hallway. I'm curious how you get around them.
Rex

I rebuilt an older gryphon it’s a solid amp no doubt
the one was a class A amp a bit old all caps had to be changed. main caps made it better but the driver caps was a wow for me.
one useful feature was a button that changed the bias on the fly.
100/75/50
I assume it varied the global feedback as well.
to hear the amp change in sound was cool and it was nice to hear what an amp sounds like as bias is varied
this happens as we play music mostly but few can hear it as it happens.
a heavy beast and room heater as well. very clean top to bottom.

Catching up on this thread after being away for a while. OMG, what drama. Some really good posts here by Lloyd, Sterling and Roy.

Congrats, Marty, glad you're happy!

Congratulations Marty, it is great to know that you found the amplifier that was missing in your system. BTW, IMHO 10 years in high quality highend amplifier design can be little time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing