Alexx V arrive in NJ

I suggest you spell out what you are saying specifically or retract your blind accusation of corruption.
You can suggest all you want lol and no it’s not blind. I’ve been doing this a heck of a lot longer than most. I’ve encountered it personally. No names of course don’t want to bring the house of cards down.
If anyones blind it’s those in complete denial.

The problem is many unknowingly follow magazines and their corrupt reviewers without realising the extent of the ‘symbiosis’ tween reviews/ reviewers/ magazines/ advertising budgets. By and large it’s a scam that’s worked for far far too long and we’ve let it be by not calling a halt to it, whilst knowing it to be true.

I think the symbiosis is bleeding obvious and yes I know first hand of corrupted individuals. Are you suggesting we turn a blind eye to the corruption?

I suggest you spell out what you are saying specifically or retract your blind accusation of corruption.

You can suggest all you want lol and no it’s not blind. I’ve been doing this a heck of a lot longer than most I’ve encountered it. No names of course don’t want to bring the house of cards down.
If anyones blind it’s those in complete denial.

You are a grossly untenable individual and you are going on ignore. I suggest others do the same.
Happily I will not see your reply.

You are a grossly untenable individual and you are going on ignore. I suggest others do the same.
Happily I will not see your reply.
i've had him on ignore already. my only ignore ever. anonymous poster with zero signal to much nonsense noise. total waste of time.

Cableman this is marty s thread and its about finding the best suited amp" to his ears" for the Wilson Alexx V loudspeakers .
Please open a seperate thread regarding issues about magazines / reviewers etc
Imagine you saying that to all on here who you deem off topic. You’d be here all blooming week kvetching.

I think the symbiosis is bleeding obvious and yes I know first hand of corrupted individuals. Are you suggesting we turn a blind eye to the corruption?

You are repeating yourself, but you are not answering TimA's question.

You have made a very serious allegation using a serious term and I, and I am sure others here, expect you to provide evidence to support your claim.

The fact that you have consistently refused my personal requests to identify yourself, and to support with evidence the many tall tales you have posted about your deep connections in the music industry and to artists, and about your relationships in the high-end audio industry, makes everything you post suspect to me.

Please start a new thread showing us the evidence supporting your claim about "corruption."

Last edited:
if anything, the Lamm ML3's had it the best as they sat on the SRA Virginia Class (or some sort of purpose built prototype) stands. the big VAC's sat on their power supplies directly on the floor. the darts sat on Box furniture amp stands as this was prior to adding the Herzan/Tana platforms. as it turned out later when i was doing some 'proof of concept' comparing; the floor turned out sounding better than the Box Furniture stands for the dart 458's.....the Herzan and later the Tana much better.

View attachment 86213

View attachment 86214
I though you upgraded to the 468s????

Good points Elliot.

But I think we can all learn regardless of our level of experience. In this hobby, as in many other areas, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

As an old friend of mine is fond of saying, “if you’re not careful, real really careful, you just might learn something!”

Humility and respect go a long way.
Hi Carlos, long time no hear from. My daughter ended up going to Chicago instead of Rice. Thanks for your insight in the decision process. Hope all is well and the music is flowing. I am doing Xmas LPs now and only have a few. I have the mystical Bing Crosby album, a vintage classical Barbara, a Harry B, and TWO copies of the GLORIOUS Mahalia Jackson top album --WHAT a powerful and flawless recording, even on my non tweaked vinyl setup. I amusing a modded Lenco L78 with a low level AT MM cart, Jelco arm, new Balsam wood base and running on 115v power as its switched to US mode to reduce noise and iPhono2 with a Hynes dedicated LPSU. I have better carts to switch out to like a mid range Benz & Soundsmith, the newish AT cart with Elliptical stylus, Denon MC cart, and one or 2 others I forgot about. I also have a vintage LT ST8 HK TT with a Corus Blue cart (I need to experiment with felt damping) and finally a Wilson Benesch Full Circle TT with the 0.5 carbon arm. Also got a few aftermarket vinyl tweaks and I need to break out my Project V2 disc washer. Vinyl is lots of work and I have to also work on my home made server over the holidays running MemoryPlayer software suite. Whew!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, get that Mahalia J album!

Attachments

• Mahalia J Xmas.jpeg
    Mahalia J Xmas.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Audire
Imagine, I got at least one of those Mahalia for one euro in Frankfurt 2 summers ago at a brocante shop. Not sure where I got the other, but likely at the Gva vinyl fair for less than $5.

4 months after ordering, the Alexx V speakers arrived in my home yesterday. My Alexandria S2's departed with some tears after arriving on October 2016 and providing countless hours of musical pleasure. I'm looking forward to the same joy from the new speakers .

View attachment 78154

View attachment 78155. View attachment 78156

View attachment 78158
Fabio and Marcel from Alma Audio had the yeoman task of crating the Alexandrias and installing the Alexx V and they did a great job. However, neither may walk normally again for about a week.
Dang Marty, you must be happier than a pig in a sty. I know you are a bass head and I see power and depth just from the photos. Wow, I am pleased for you.

Reactions: K3RMIT and ctydwn
I though you upgraded to the 468s????
i did. click in my system info below, the 468's are there.

that post was simply responding to the question about the variable shelf/footers below the three sets of amps i was comparing. the ML3's and big VAC's are long gone.

Reactions: wisnon
Hi Carlos, long time no hear from. My daughter ended up going to Chicago instead of Rice. Thanks for your insight in the decision process. Hope all is well and the music is flowing. I am doing Xmas LPs now and only have a few. I have the mystical Bing Crosby album, a vintage classical Barbara, a Harry B, and TWO copies of the GLORIOUS Mahalia Jackson top album --WHAT a powerful and flawless recording, even on my non tweaked vinyl setup. I amusing a modded Lenco L78 with a low level AT MM cart, Jelco arm, new Balsam wood base and running on 115v power as its switched to US mode to reduce noise and iPhono2 with a Hynes dedicated LPSU. I have better carts to switch out to like a mid range Benz & Soundsmith, the newish AT cart with Elliptical stylus, Denon MC cart, and one or 2 others I forgot about. I also have a vintage LT ST8 HK TT with a Corus Blue cart (I need to experiment with felt damping) and finally a Wilson Benesch Full Circle TT with the 0.5 carbon arm. Also got a few aftermarket vinyl tweaks and I need to break out my Project V2 disc washer. Vinyl is lots of work and I have to also work on my home made server over the holidays running MemoryPlayer software suite. Whew!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, get that Mahalia J album!
Great to hear from you Wisnon and glad for your daughter! Chicago is a great school. Good for her!
Thank you for the music recommendation. I’ll definitely get it.

Happy listening!

Reactions: wisnon
Good points Elliot.

But I think we can all learn regardless of our level of experience. In this hobby, as in many other areas, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

As an old friend of mine is fond of saying, “if you’re not careful, real really careful, you just might learn something!”

Humility and respect go a long way.
Well Carlos,
I know you for a fact have had the experience of what set up has on the final outcome. This is important with all components and component changes.
As I said and have said many times , so many have purchased tons of gear and yet have not used a great resource to get the most out of wha tthey have bought. IMO this is foolhardy but what do I know :)

Reactions: K3RMIT
i've had him on ignore already. my only ignore ever. anonymous poster with zero signal to much nonsense noise. total waste of time.
I just tried the ignore thing.

Delightful!

A phenomenon that I believe is more common than not, is that as our systems become more advanced, the way we assess new product introductions to our system changes. I can’t imagine that I would evaluate the addition of a new amplifier into my system the way I might have 10 or 20 years ago. Part of the reason for this is that our systems generally improve with time, and possibly our listening skills, or at least that’s the hope. For example, when I started out many moons ago, I had Advent loudspeakers and an AR turntable/Stanton 681EE and a Nakamichi cassette deck. Trying to ascertain the fine points (or even the big picture) of a new amplifier would be lost on me as the abilities of the rest of the system would make such an excise rather futile although sure, things would have sounded better with the Gryphon Mephisto than my old Citation 12. Then again, I would probably have launched the paper cone divers of the Advents into low earth orbit using an amplifier with such obvious overkill credentials. But the long and arduous process of system improvements over many years provided nice benefits because as my system improved with every iteration (actually, most of the time but not all- now there’s a thread topic- should probably call it “stupid audiophile tricks”), finer gradations of improvements in gear become easier to assess. Simply put, there’s more to hear, more to assess, and more to contemplate with changes whether it is source equipment such as a cartridge or end of the line gear such as amplifiers or speakers. And with each system iteration, changes become more incremental, finer and subtle. That’s not only part of the fun, but frankly, it’s what paying the big bucks should provide. When it doesn’t, it’s more than just no fun. It just sucks and makes a colonoscopy look good by comparison. This is just a prelude to saying that I’m fortunate to have ancillary gear that makes assessing the sonic properties of a new component like the Gyphon Mephisto relatively unambiguous and straight forward, or at least, compared to what it would have been many years ago.

The Gryphon Mephisto has been a surprising addition in several ways. The most obvious is that it is the 4th “big” amp I’ve had in my system in a year, beginning with the demise of the excellent sounding but unreliable Soulution 701s (a 4 month adventure), the “temporary” Parasound JC1+ that was a place holder from last spring which provided splendid service until the CH M10s arrived in October, and finally the Mephisto. The chore of changing yet another amp and evaluating it was not the surprise here. Most of that was anticipated. Rather, it was listening to a product that was sonically quite different and distinct from all the other big amplifiers I had used previously. The main reason for the difference when compared to the previous bevy of push-pull amplifiers is because the Gryphon is a pure class A design.

Class A amplifiers have been with us forever and are typically seen in audio gear with low power requirements such as pre-amps or phono stages. I used to own a Pass Aleph amp that put out 40 watts a side and I remember that I liked it because there was something memorable about its sound, although I was never sure exactly what that was. Not surprisingly, I moved on to another amplifier with greater power years ago (Ampzilla, I think?). Fast forward a few decades and now I have a pair of modern day, high-power Class A amplifiers that I’m excited to explore in part because I never forgot the seductive sound of those little Pass amps. The Mephistos differ most obviously from those Pass amps in their power and physical manifestation. Unfortunately, when you want to build a pure class A amplifier with great power, it means heavy transformers, large heatsinks, lots of electricity, and lots of heat. Did I mention lots of heat? Jeez, you have no idea. As I’ve mentioned previously, this is an amp that would be difficult for almost anyone to own and live with without air conditioning or open windows… in the winter! Fortunately my amps live in a room immediately behind my speakers. How anyone could possibly live with them in their listening room is surely a testament to their motivation and accommodation.

The amplifier design, which has not changed in 10 years, is a testament to Flemming Rasmussen’s obsession to his craft. To begin these are monoblocs. Many amp designers fashion their monoblocs out of bridging an existing two-channel product which couples the stereo channels in series to form a single amp with increased voltage and more output power. Flemming thinks this approach is unattractive because it doubles distortion, and doubles input impedance impairing the amplifier’s ability to drive low-impedance loudspeaker loads and cuts the damping factor in half (reducing the amplifier's ability to control cone motion at low frequencies). In addition he utilizes a regulated and filtered power supply which removes high frequency noise and voltage spikes without compromising current capability. Extreme high current capability is a fundamental parameter in Gryphon amplifier design. You can read the specs for yourself if you’re interested. All I will say is that there are a lot of zeros in the power output specs for very low impedances.

Perhaps most compelling in my desire to try this product was the fact that it's an amplifier designed with zero global negative feedback, which is a topic that spilled a lot of ink in this thread with respect to the M10s for some time as you probably know.

Before discussing the sonic merits of the Mephisto, it's useful to review why a Class A amplifier is technically different from more common Class AB designs. The answer can be appreciated in this diagram.

1640208668201.png

The basic premise of a Class-A amp is that the output device(s) conducts all the time (through 360 degrees of the signal waveform). This means that the power devices must conduct a continuous current which exceeds the maximum peak load (loudspeaker) current.

In contrast, a typical Class-AB power amplifier's output devices only conduct for about 182 degrees (at full power), which means that for much of the signal's duration, only one or the other device is conducting. The other is turned off. This creates an inherent immutable characteristic of what happens when one device is turned on and the other turns off and is called “crossover distortion”. While often very low, when the signal is reduced, the ratio of distortion to signal will become much worse, resulting in an increase in distortion as power is reduced. It is why one often sees increases in distortion vs power curves for many Class AB amplifiers at low power (as well as high power, which is expected). It is fair to say that although crossover distortion cannot be eliminated, the effects can be reduced to such an extent that many amplifiers have almost unmeasurably small levels of crossover distortion (mostly odd harmonics) and in fact, many class AB amplifiers sound superb despite this.

However, it is this lack of crossover distortion inherent in the nature by which Class A amplifers operate that many say is what makes them sonically unique. As Paul McGowan said in 2019: “Certainly, we could say that many Class A topologies generally are sweeter and without the character-changes-with-level some AB circuits have—and we would not be too far off the mark—but consider that many of us have never actually heard a pure Class A power amplifier.” Of course not. Most of them are probably being used as space heaters to provide heat for third world countries. I’ve not seen any in a home ever, and perhaps rarely at an audio show or an audio salon.

Or to put it another way, as Flemming would say “there simply is no substitute for the sheer magic of pure class A”. So is he right? In a word, he makes a very compelling argument.

End Part 1

Last edited:
Part 2

Let’s talk about how the Mephisto sounds. To begin, let’s get the bass out of the way. Fear not, the Mephisto does as it is reputed to do with bass which is namely, knock it out of the park. The design objectives by Flemming seem to be met handily as I can’t imagine there’s a speaker out there in which the Mephisto won’t reproduce bass as capably as any speaker will allow. It’s not just the typical sturm und drang bass tracks or orchestral crescendos that the Gryphon does so well, but the simpler task the single notes of an upright bass or left hand piano are rendered with body, tone density and texture that is excellent. I’ve had good success with several high powered amps before such as the Soulution 701 and the JC1+ but the Gryphon still got me to sit up and take notice on some well-trodden evaluation tracks. One example is the immortal Sheffield drum track. It’s odd to talk about 3 dimensionality when it comes to bass/midbass. But I’m not sure I ever heard Jim Keltner’s kit reproduced where the image I envision is a drum set that is not heard as a flat, but rather one where the kick drum is clearly in front of the tom toms on each side, and placed ever so slightly in front and below the the snare, tom toms and cymbals. In other words, 3 dimensionality from a drum recording? Indeed. (Two aerial mics were used above the snare and cymbals in addition to mics in front of the kick drum. Easy to hear). However, I should be clear. Although I was not wanting for more power, it should be said that nothing, and I mean nothing that I have ever heard, can duplicate the sheer explosive power of the JC1+. (It’s no surprise that the JC1+ is the amp Wilson recommends for their subwoofers). But the Gryphon might just add a bit more texture and nuance to the bass than even the mighty JC1+. Why? What is it about its sound character that allows for this?

While I won’t apologize that bass performance is an important consideration for me, it’s what the amp does to the rest of the range that steals my heart. It’s not easy to put into words, but there is a unique quality of this amp regarding the tonal purity or integrity of sound that is consistent and does not vary with power levels, hence volume. I don’t think I’m alone in listening to a lot of gear in a variety of systems that all have a common feature which is that as the music gets louder, it often looses some of it appeal in that the sound takes on properties that can range from a slight increase in grain to more. Some might call it glare? brightness? “in your face” “loss of naturalness”? Whatever you call it, I have always thought this was simply due to the fact as you play louder, distortion naturally increases. I have always accepted this as an audio fact of life. It’s an inherent property of every high performance system I’ve heard and mine is no exception. However, with the Mephisto, something occurs at higher volume that is different than what occurs with reproduction in a typical class A/B amp and that is that the sound is much further devoid of those properties that collectively I’ll call high gain artifice. It doesn’t re-write the rules of physics where along with high SPL comes increased distortion. That’s just unavoidable. But what the Mephisto does is to reduce this artifice so dramatically, that the benefits are easy to hear as music sounds frankly, well, much more like the real thing. It’s as if there is an “edge” to each note that is no longer there as it is replaced buy a subjective “roundness” wholeness” “organicity” or “purity” or whatever the hell you want to call it, that I have not heard from other A/B designs. It is this freedom of artifice, especially as volume increases, that is the hallmark of Class A sound. That is the magic of class A sound that Fleming refers to. It occurs not only in the bass range but throughout the entire spectrum. Move from deep bass to the upper bass for example, and the lower brass takes on a palpability that is breath-taking. When voices in the midrange get louder, they maintain an elusive integrity that is sometimes difficult to reproduce. Music just sounds more protean in allowing reproduced music to sound more like the real thing than it does in typical A/B designs. At least that’s what I‘m hearing even if inadequately served by descriptors.

If I’ve been somewhat unsuccessful in characterizing what Mephisto’s Class A sound is like, let’s approach it another way. I’m suggesting that as sound gets louder in most systems, there is increased distortion which comes from two identifiable components. The first, is simple harmonic distortion- an inherent property of all amplifiers. Play louder and this distortion increases as expected. The second is the contribution of some form of collective artifice that I would never have been able to identify without experiencing the reproduction of sound through the Mephisto. Now ordinarily, if one wanted to really study these attributes in some depth, one would have to play something through a standard A/B amplifier, and then change amps to the Mephisto, do a compare or two, and then get a hernia changing amps again to see if you could validate your observations.

Ah, but in the most unanticipated and surprising fashion, Mr. Rasmussen has provided a sneaky little tool that makes this comparison a very easy one to make. He is the first amplifier manufacturer ever to offer programmable Class A bias as a means of reducing power consumption without compromising Class A performance. In other words, there are 3 bias settings on the front panel of the amplifier that allow the user to select for either low, medium or high bias all with the push of a button.

2.jpeg

When you select high bias, as is appropriate for most of my serious listening, you are indeed running at full 200W class A operation (with kilowatt plus capability at low impedance and high output). If you select medium you are running 50W of class A and the remainder class A/B. In the low bias setting, you run with 5W of class A power with the remainder in class A/B. This is a beautiful tool because it easily allows the listener to see what his system sounds like in full class A mode vs mostly in class A/B mode. The differences are easily heard and are so obvious and so startling that anyone can hear it. No golden ears required. What is that difference? It’s exactly as I’ve tried to describe previously, if rather poorly. There is simply some artifice that is absent when running in class A that makes it presence known again when running in class A/B. In other words, if you want the Gryphon to sound more like the Soulution 701 or Parasound, run it in class A/B! The way music sounds when running the Gryphon in class A vs class A/B is something that frankly, once heard, can never be unheard.

Let’s not go crazy and misinterpret this as a testimonial whereby I am saying that the Mephisto is a better amplifier than many others. I don’t want that to be the take home message. What I’m saying is that there something so compelling about the sound of this amplifier that I am looking forward to exploring it in depth in the months and hopefully years ahead. Aspects of it's soundstaging, marvelous macro and microdynamics and other properties surely await further evaluation. But yes, it’s a keeper. As is typical when any major gear change is made, it may take some time to optimize its performance in my system. Little changes such as the power cords, choice of rectifier and output tubes of the Lampi GG2 and possibly other things such as where I hang my crystals and mandala (OK, lighten up) are all things I look forward to exploring with the passage of time in order to extract the most joy from this really beautiful sounding audio amplifier.

Last edited:
It’s not easy to put into words, but there is a unique quality of this amp regarding the tonal purity or integrity of sound that is consistent and does not vary with power levels, hence volume.

Bravo Marty - as fine a pair of posts as we've had here.

Congrats, Marty. As an owner of Gryphon for 11 consecutive years, culminating in the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo, I am extremely happy to read your positive initial reports of the mighty monos, particularly given your mixed experiences with major reference amplifiers in the last few years.

Look forward to reading more as you continue to explore the depths of its remarkable capabilities. Tonal density is often used (by me) in describing the Gryphon sound. And then combine that with its ability to create a truly solid foundation of music which I find truly rare, and you have a musical experience that is as remarkable as they come. Enjoy!

Reactions: MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing