Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have enough experience to know without any shadow of a doubt that the GT Audio system will NOT sound as integrated as the Alsyvox does.

The bass will definitely NOT have the speed and articulation of the Alsyvox. Cones just CANNOT do it. Not on this planet. Anywhere.

Marc - these are considerably better than my Duettas.

For anyone going to Munich I urge you to go and hear them.

Talk to Daniele Coen he's friendly. Free parmesan and Prosecco!

It stays open til 8pm so catch the coach outside Halle 3 or 4 after the MoC show or walk. Free entry.

I did talk to Daniele a lot. Mainly about construction and planar magnetic issues since I know a lot about mine and how they are.made and work.

Ked he knows Henk. He's been there loads of times.

I think Daniele said $160K. In performance terms relative to other speakers costing loads at Munich, it's very good value.

Construction quality is excellent. They are basically huge slabs of solid steel internally.

Could you please describe the amplification they are using with these four panels?

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Could you please describe the amplification they are using with these four panels?

Kind regards,
Tang

Omega Audio 200 Watts channel solid state into 8 Ohms. Daniele didn't know what they were into 4 Ohms.

I suspect you might be able to do better but they were definitely OK.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The price - it might have been Euros. And I don't feel safe about 160K but I am 80% sure that's the number he said.

Sorry if I got it wrong.

Ron - subs are pointless unless you want copious amounts of bass at very, very high volume. They just are not necessary. You are not talking a CLX here. It does bass. There's mass of bass radiating area in this setup down to 20Hz.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Omega Audio 200 Watts channel solid state into 8 Ohms. Daniele didn't know what they were into 4 Ohms.

I suspect you might be able to do better but they were definitely OK.
Sorry for bugging. Single amp? No biamp?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, can you see these on tubes?
I'm thinking biamping horizontally w Nat Magmas monos to both panels.

I'll worry about evaporating or burrowing to the Earth's core another day.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sorry for bugging. Single amp? No biamp?

I didn't pay much attention I just spoke planar with Daniele. But there are four boxes there. One per panel I'd say at a guess.

It's a world first five way fully planar magnetic system. Here's a bad photo of a crossover. People were in the way!

I am planning to go back so I can accept direct questions.

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_185845.jpg
    IMG_20190509_185845.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I didn't pay much attention I just spoke planar with Daniele. But there are four boxes there. One per panel I'd say at a guess.

It's a world first five way fully planar magnetic system. Here's a bad photo of a crossover. People were in the way!

I am planning to go back so I can accept direct questions.
Thank you so much for your contribution to this thread.

Sincerely,
Tang

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, can you see these on tubes?
I'm thinking biamping horizontally w Nat Magmas monos to both panels.

I'll worry about evaporating or burrowing to the Earth's core another day.

Of course the efficiency is high so a pair of Boticelli is probably all you would need if you can get them in your loft.

They won't fit in your loft, though, as a four panel setup.

The system I heard is quite different to mine. Much larger scale. It is unmistakably of planar magnetic heritage. Much more dynamic than big Maggies though. Far superior in my book.

(Sorry I messed this post up originally so the semantics were stupid. At a show...)

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

planarman

Apr 30, 2017
I have enough experience to know without any shadow of a doubt that the GT Audio system will NOT sound as integrated as the Alsyvox does.

The bass will definitely NOT have the speed and articulation of the Alsyvox. Cones just CANNOT do it. Not on this planet. Anywhere.

Marc - these are considerably better than my Duettas.

For anyone going to Munich I urge you to go and hear them.

Talk to Daniele Coen he's friendly. Free parmesan and Prosecco!

It stays open til 8pm so catch the coach outside Halle 3 or 4 after the MoC show or walk. Free entry.

I did talk to Daniele a lot. Mainly about construction and planar magnetic issues since I know a lot about mine and how they are.made and work.

Ked he knows Henk. He's been there loads of times.

I think Daniele said $160K. In performance terms relative to other speakers costing loads at Munich, it's very good value.

Construction quality is excellent. They are basically huge slabs of solid steel internally.

In response to User 211 post - All I have to say is that you have not heard our speakers and are making judgements on bass Integration between the planar panels and the open baffle servo subs without any understanding of the technology that Greg Takesh has put into the speakers for the integration to seamlessly take. Specifically integration problems occur when you have the planar panels going down to low in a frequency which makes a very bad overlap transition for the servo subs to take over. Additionally, We Utilize a very sophisticated servo circuit-which will pull back the excursion or the X max of the woofer which is done quicker than the human ear can detect any bloat or low frequency overhang.
This bass integration was exhibited on numerous times during our exhibit at Axpona 2019- All the attendees were given a demonstration as to how seamless the bass integration was with respect to the servo subs. This was simply done by turning off the servo bass amps during the playing of the music and then turning them back on.
Please try to educate yourself, keep an open mind and not speculate as to what you think our system sounds - like the only way to do that is to hear our system and you will then understand.

Reactions: sujay

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
The build quality looks very nice!

To which panel section does the signal cross-over at 150Hz? (If someone wanted to use a separate woofer system from 150Hz down how would you connect the Caravaggio? Or would you use the Botticelli and not the Caravaggio?)

As some of you know I own the Botticelli and would like to get some facts about the Caravaggio vs. the Botticelli out there as I know them.

You won't get this information off Daniele's current website since he has not updated it yet. I have the recent information he sent me as an owner and follower of his fabulous speakers.

First of all, I know nothing of the sound of the new 4 panel Caravaggio speaker vs the Botticelli so that question won't be answered by me but yet the designer himself. All I can say is these are easily the best speakers I have ever owned the distance between #2 and many others I have heard is getting greater the longer I own these. As I have said in previous posts everyone in this hobby has their own "factors" so your free to chase them.

Here are some facts from the brochure:

**The Caravaggio has new patented designed midrange ribbon driver (2X37mm) wide to increase magnetic field linearity and control over the ribbon movement allowing incredible liveliness and dynamics. The new transducer is covering the critical voice frequency range from 500hz to 1500hz and is seamless blended into a 25mm ribbon tweeter at higher frequencies and a 32cm wide ribbon planar woofer at lower frequencies.

** The new design is now a 5 way design using a 32cm x 168cm ribbon planar subwoofer, another 32cm x 168cm ribbon-planar woofer that in case of need can cover frequency range below 70hz. This along with the patent pending design of the new unit above.

** External solid aluminum CNC machined crossover units for each panel guarantee maximum quality, ideal shielding and flexibility. Each transducer can be connected separately to an active or passive network.

** Our standard external crossover network is based on an exclusive topology and allows the use of two channels power amplification or multiple amplification. Adjustments in the frequency response are possible by using different outputs, so no additional electrical contact is added into switches.

** All cabling internal and external are OMEGA AUDIO CONCEPTS NANO EXTRA.

** High efficiency and easy load allow the use of virtually any power amp.

** The new range (Caravaggio and Michelangelo) is now enriched by the introduction of a SINGLE panel version of Caravaggio with 1 panel each channel, expandable to the FULL Caravaggio buying the 2 subwoofer panels separately, further expandible into the Michelangelo adding the second pair of subwoofer panels. Each panel comes with its own external crossover units.

In addition, you can NOW get the Botticelli with the external crossover as an option or as I have it standard. In other words, I can upgrade my speaker to an external crossover version. New Botticelli's can be ordered either way and the new Botticelli is named Botticelli X.

Everything above with ** is from the Alsyvox brochure I have and not made up by me.

This should excite those that want the larger room profile these speakers belong in with the flexibility to manage a larger room. As for me, I am totally thrilled with what I have (Botticelli)....and my upgrade path could be the external crossover to the Botticelli X.

I have prices as sent but since I am not a dealer in any way I prefer you speak to Daniele about those.

I hope these facts are some help in answering questions about the Caravaggio/Michelangelo line. How they sound vs. the Botticelli at its cheaper price point can be directed to Daniele as I have not heard the new line or know specific details.

My experience with Daniele is very positive and I have found him full of honesty and knowledge.

PS: I believe the system at Munich is being driven by the new/latest Omega Audio Concepts Stream integrated amplifiers producing 200 Wpc and is not bi-amped but best left to the designer to answer.

gwalt

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcus

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wouldn't use them with a separate subwoofer, Ron. You'll never get it to work well.

Better with the GT setup I suspect if you must have dynamic drivers. Or Pendragons!

I don’t know how you can predict this a priori. Challenging is not the same as “never.”

Some people successfully integrate woofer towers and subwoofers or both with Magnepans. Genesis successfully integrates woofer towers with ribbon line arrays. Martin-Logan Statements successfully integrated woofer towers with electrostatic panels.

Further, and very importantly, some people are less sensitive to discontinuity/integration issues than others.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . All I have to say is that you have not heard our speakers and are making judgements on bass Integration between the planar panels . . .

. . . keep an open mind and not speculate as to what you think our system sounds - like the only way to do that is to hear our system and you will then understand.

+1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I did not realize the Caravaggio is a 5 way. So one amp drives the 2 lowest (or 3 lowest?) frequency drivers passively?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hello Justin,
Thank you for your visit yesterday.
I send you the prices as I have seen there was some info on the forum that was not correct:
Tintoretto 69000€ per pair VAT included,
Botticelli 89000€ per pair VAT included,
Caravaggio Single (2 panels with 2 external crossovers CNC machined aluminium) 173000€ VAT included,
Caravaggio Full (4 panels with 4 external crossovers CNC machined aluminium 275000€ VAT included.
Caravaggio single can be upgraded to Caravaggio full and to Michelangelo.
Price for the levelers needs to be checked at home so please give a few more days.

Best regards

Daniele Coen

Reactions: amadeus

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
In response to User 211 post - All I have to say is that you have not heard our speakers and are making judgements on bass Integration between the planar panels and the open baffle servo subs without any understanding of the technology that Greg Takesh has put into the speakers for the integration to seamlessly take. Specifically integration problems occur when you have the planar panels going down to low in a frequency which makes a very bad overlap transition for the servo subs to take over. Additionally, We Utilize a very sophisticated servo circuit-which will pull back the excursion or the X max of the woofer which is done quicker than the human ear can detect any bloat or low frequency overhang.
This bass integration was exhibited on numerous times during our exhibit at Axpona 2019- All the attendees were given a demonstration as to how seamless the bass integration was with respect to the servo subs. This was simply done by turning off the servo bass amps during the playing of the music and then turning them back on.
Please try to educate yourself, keep an open mind and not speculate as to what you think our system sounds - like the only way to do that is to hear our system and you will then understand.

Seriously I have heard loads of open baffle towers from various manufacturers.

However have you heard the 4 panel Alsyvox?

Your preconceptions of who I am at what I know are off the mark. Common problem on internet forums.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don’t know how you can predict this a priori. Challenging is not the same as “never.”

Some people successfully integrate woofer towers and subwoofers or both with Magnepans. Genesis successfully integrates woofer towers with ribbon line arrays. Martin-Logan Statements successfully integrated woofer towers with electrostatic panels.

Further, and very importantly, some people are less sensitive to discontinuity/integration issues than others.

Well I'm only stating an opinion, Ron. It's not something I would attempt with the Alsyvox or even think is necessary. You may differ.

I personally do not care what people's preferences and beliefs are. I can only state my own.

And as I have already said, if you like cone bass, the GT would be the way to go in all likelihood. If I had heard a pair and liked or disliked them, would it really matter?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
And as I have already said, if you like cone bass, the GT would be the way to go in all likelihood. If I had heard a pair and liked or disliked them, would it really matter?

It would be more interesting if you liked them, coming as you do from the ribbon planar preference.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It would be more interesting if you liked them, coming as you do from the ribbon planar preference.

I probably would like them is my guesstimate. But not as much as the Alsyvox.

That's pointless speculation... but hey. I just think planar magnetic bass done well is awesome in many respects.

Listening to a big OB now. No I am NOT comparing them to the GT in case I get jumped on!:)

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_155210.jpg
    IMG_20190510_155210.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
After 21 pages of this thread, strangely I don't want to sell my Magico S5 Mk2's. I guess that makes me a maverick?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing