Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
We aren’t selling our Magicos! They are absolutely awesome!!!
We don't sell our Magico speakers either. We love them as well, especially our M9s. We just have many other brands as well as one speaker brand does not work for all people. ymmv

Reactions: Alrainbow

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]
Btw, just to interweave a bit our corpus of informations:
Here are my impressions over the outstanding Alsyvox Botticelli X, powered by Aries Cerat monoblocks amplifiers, Taiko Audio streamer and Primary Control turntable at the 2021 Netherlands hifi show (Veldhoven show, considered as a "mini-Munich").
(see paragraph "Finally, the 94dB (!) sensitivity, flat-impedance AlsyVox ribbon panels")

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
A few pics from the NEW Alsyvox listening room in Spain, featuring the Rafaello with added bass panels

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-15 at 12.34.01 PM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-12-15 at 12.34.01 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-12-15 at 12.34.01 PM.jpeg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can you imagine with Spanish guitar?

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I had a chance to hear two different sizes of these speakers, one at Tampa show and the smaller Tintoretto at a dealer. Really superb speaker, and would be on my short list of looking for a speaker in that price range.

Reactions: Bobvin

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Hi Caesar,

One of the issues is the size, weight etc of the Botticelli X. Having thought about it for a while and desiring to have a published review, we recently had Greg Weaver, visit Rhapsody in Brooklyn for 3 days to do a review on the Botticelli X. The review will be published in Tone Audio Magazine in the near future.

We would have sent the speakers to Greg but his listening room is 13's wide, just a smidge too narrow to do the BX justice especially for a review.
I haven't seen the Greg Weaver Botticelli X review yet. It has been 3.5 months since your posting. I've heard the VS Ultra 9 and 11 and would like to know how the Alsyvox compares (looking at Ultra 7 versus Alsyvox Botticelli as size constraints against larger speakers).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a chance to hear two different sizes of these speakers, one at Tampa show and the smaller Tintoretto at a dealer. Really superb speaker, and would be on my short list of looking for a speaker in that price range.

Hi Avidlistener,

In either of these instances were the amplifiers in use tube amps?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I heard the Alsyvox at The Home Entertainment Show in Long Beach last year powered by Vitus amplifiers. If you have the real estate, and love the sound of planars as I do there are clearly some of the very best.

I recently heard the VSA Ultra 7's at the factory with both tube and solid state and both amp types sounded remarkable. With their rear firing tweeters and remarkable timing they disappear like a good planar but have a tighter and more focused presentation. In the end-game speaker category the 7's are my favorite in terms of form factor. Based upon my listening experience with both products you would be well served by either using top-quality tube or solid state amplification.

Reactions: Bobvin and Audire

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
You really have to worry about this all new speaker brand now too ! :oops::cool:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I haven't seen the Greg Weaver Botticelli X review yet. It has been 3.5 months since your posting. I've heard the VS Ultra 9 and 11 and would like to know how the Alsyvox compares (looking at Ultra 7 versus Alsyvox Botticelli as size constraints against larger speakers).
The new issue of Tone is extremely close to being released. Jeff Dorgay (the publisher) visited Rhapsody Out West last month for some photos and additional listening. The issue should drop any day now.

Reactions: christoph

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I heard the Alsyvox at The Home Entertainment Show in Long Beach last year powered by Vitus amplifiers. If you have the real estate, and love the sound of planars as I do there are clearly some of the very best.

I recently heard the VSA Ultra 7's at the factory with both tube and solid state and both amp types sounded remarkable. With their rear firing tweeters and remarkable timing they disappear like a good planar but have a tighter and more focused presentation. In the end-game speaker category the 7's are my favorite in terms of form factor. Based upon my listening experience with both products you would be well served by either using top-quality tube or solid state amplification.
Yes, I also heard the Alysvox at the Long Beach show which did played Art Pepper + 11 poorly (no dynamics at all or separation of instruments) which was blamed on incorrect amplifier settings. So, I really haven't heard them either. I will go to my sort of local Rhapsody distributor to hear them eventually. Greg Weaver review could be helpful.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
@Ron Resnick I know the Tintoretto was powered via SS - Plinius fed by Aurender streaming. I was able to hear a track I know well from Rickie Lee Jones Pop pop. In the brief demo I felt It did everything well, from dynamics, detailed yet full bass, great inner detail.

Incidentally The designer claimed The larger pair at the Tampa show measured flat down to 20hz in the large Tampa demo room.

Last edited:

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
You really have to worry about this all new speaker brand now too ! :oops::cool:

A 92dB-sensitive speaker requires a 70 watt amp minimum? Is the impedance really low and making it difficult to drive? I drive a 94dB speaker with a 3.2 ohm impedance with a 35 watt tube amp excellently. Maybe the AS writer did not receive or hear the information correctly.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I really like that new Paul Paddock driver!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Alsyvox Botticelli as size constraints against larger speakers
Be aware, that all Dipoles need to be away from the back wall at least 1 meter, almost the more, the better :eek:

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My favorite sound right now with my Botticellis X is with the 27 Watt Ongaku. It doesn't have the same slam as with more power but it's magical sounding to me and the bass is textured and goes way down and doesn't feel like you are missing anything regarding bass on almost all of the music that I play normally.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Be aware, that all Dipoles need to be away from the back wall at least 1 meter, almost the more, the better :eek:
I like Alsyvox much better when 2-3M away from the back wall. I have a few customers that have them 1Mish away from the back wall, but when "out in the room" they have great layering capability on the soundstage which doesn't come through in the same manner when closer to the back wall.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I like Alsyvox much better when 2-3M away from the back wall. I have a few customers that have them 1Mish away from the back wall, but when "out in the room" they have great layering capability on the soundstage which doesn't come through in the same manner when closer to the back wall.
How far away from the speakers is your listening position and what sort of toe in do you have Bob?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing