American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Hi David,

Well I owe you a pint or three. Done around 1.5 hrs straight listening and I am getting a really nice improvement in the sound. The following are the areas that I have seen a really decent uplift:

>> Leading edge transient speed increased
>> Improved decay
>> Added micro-resolution
>> More texture in lower register
Hi Bill,

I can't take credit for discovering this people have been using thread as belt with high mass platters as far back as I can remember but I'm sure glad that my posts helped out and I will have those pints :D! The improvements you describe are the result of clearing up the bass when you reduce the effects of the motor drive on platter rotation, in the same way the motor always affects the bass in DD turntables. The solid belt we use with AS is nearly there without the hassles of string and in most cases indistinguishable but in the right system thread still sounds more natural.

david

Hi Bill,

I can't take credit for discovering this people have been using thread as belt with high mass platters as far back as I can remember but I'm sure glad that my posts helped out and I will have those pints :D! The improvements you describe are the result of clearing up the bass when you reduce the effects of the motor drive on platter rotation, in the same way the motor always affects the bass in DD turntables. The solid belt we use with AS is nearly there without the hassles of string and in most cases indistinguishable but in the right system thread still sounds more natural.

david

Thanks David. Either way you brought it firmly to my attention. Have you experimented with different materials? I know of many choices with loads of differing properties. What are the desirable characteristics of the thread? The one I am using is 15lbs breaking strain with a very tough external jackets that is very grippy. There is no stretch at all in this and the jacket has tungsten impregnated.

Reactions: ddk
Thanks David. Either way you brought it firmly to my attention. Have you experimented with different materials? I know of many choices with loads of differing properties. What are the desirable characteristics of the thread? The one I am using is 15lbs breaking strain with a very tough external jackets that is very grippy. There is no stretch at all in this and the jacket has tungsten impregnated.
I've done some experiments and didn't find that aside from convenience and longevity the actual thread type affecting the sound, certainly what you're using is more than adequate and probably higher quality than what I have.

david

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Hi David,

Well I owe you a pint or three. Done around 1.5 hrs straight listening and I am getting a really nice improvement in the sound. The following are the areas that I have seen a really decent uplift:

>> Leading edge transient speed increased
>> Improved decay
>> Added micro-resolution
>> More texture in lower register

View attachment 49490
Hi Bill. Can you show a picture of the knot please.

Tang

Hi Bill. Can you show a picture of the knot please.

Tang

Hey Tang,

Sure - I just tied up one as an example and photographed it up close in the light so you can see it. Using my material, one strips the sheath to reveal the inner braid so it gives you ability to have only tiniest impact of a knot.

E798917F-A7C4-4456-9F7A-1D8A3A76C97F.jpeg

I will do some more tomorrow with other materials to see whether I can reduce further.

It's not a matter of ironing out speed fluctuation in fact you might see even a little more of that with thread it's how it maintains the speed which is important. If you go by measurements alone a low end DD could beat all belt drives and we know how they sound.

As far as audiophile power cords and motors that's all yours to own :)!

david
This is likely just my ears not very good. I dont enjoy any less when my speed is not accurate to the third decimal point. I havent even adjusted the speed since I last took the belt out to clean the platter. Now my speed is 33.33 with varying third decimal. Heck..some morning it is 33.32 with third decimal varying. My personal opinion is as long as the variance is quite stable meaning doesn't keep moving up and down frequently or all the time, the music does not lose any attractiveness. I still hear everything there is to hear from my vinyls. To me speed accuracy to the very last degree is not as important as speed stabilityto the last degree.

You never told me the above. How is my learning curve my Master Yoda. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Lagonda and Folsom
Ya, stability is more easily heard than difference in actual speed. Stability affects pitch, for example.

This is likely just my ears not very good. I dont enjoy any less when my speed is not accurate to the third decimal point. I havent even adjusted the speed since I last took the belt out to clean the platter. Now my speed is 33.33 with varying third decimal. Heck..some morning it is 33.32 with third decimal varying. My personal opinion is as long as the variance is quite stable meaning doesn't keep moving up and down frequently or all the time, the music does not lose any attractiveness. I still hear everything there is to hear from my vinyls. To me speed accuracy to the very last degree is not as important as speed stabilityto the last degree.

You never told me the above. How is my learning curve my Master Yoda. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

You're #1 Student Tango San :)!

david

No just double regular Overhand knots, I had to look up Bloodknot :)!

david

This takes me back to when I had a Teres turntable. It started with string drive and of course there was discussion about the knot. The consensus (!) was for the bloodknot as having the least detection when it went 'round the pulley. Then we switched to tape, everyone used silver mylar. It was a pita to splice and join seemlessly with no overlap and no sound. The tapes only lasted a few months. Then Chris Brady came out with his Verus rim drive and the problem switched from the pulley to the roundness of the cocobolo platter.

blood_knot.png

Reactions: Lagonda
This takes me back to when I had a Teres turntable. It started with string drive and of course there was discussion about the knot. The consensus (!) was for the bloodknot as having the least detection when it went 'round the pulley. Then we switched to tape, everyone used silver mylar. It was a pita to splice and join seemlessly with no overlap and no sound. The tapes only lasted a few months. Then Chris Brady came out with his Verus rim drive and the problem switched from the pulley to the roundness of the cocobolo platter.

View attachment 49494

I use a relatively thin soft thread the tiny knot is of no consequence specially in this case with a 10lb flywheel pulley and a near 200lb platter whatever style it is :). The Micro Seiki type belts we use last decades in normal use.

david

Reactions: tima
Tang/Christian,

No string drive yet with your AS TTs? Think you are in for a good surprise.

Best.

Ron is frantically trying a string drive cdp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing