Amp and Pre for Sorastro

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
First timer here, tho I've been into audio for a long time now. What a refreshing forum - way more informed than elsewhere.
I'm considering evolving out of my Wells Audio pre - to - amp string for Verity Sorastro 2s (the search tool found zero entries with Sorastro). Looking for more stage and air and emotion - which I suspect means more power.
Anyways, I'm definitely into the used category, and after reading way too many reviews - for amps the Audionet Amp, Ypsilon Aelius,,Hegel H30, and Lamm M2.2, and maybe the Luxman 900u (tho I've read a few comments about round bass - not good start for an 11" woofer) made it onto the list. And for preamps, the VAC Signature Mk2a SE, perhaps the Backert extreme, and maybe back into the Lamm are on the list.
Thanks!

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Lamm is nice with Verity. You mentioned the M2.2 (high power hybrid) and I'm assuming you meant the ML2.2 (~18 watt SET). If you did prefer the hybrid models, the M1.2 (~110 watts in pure class A) would be ideal. A LL2.1 Deluxe preamplifier would be lovely with any of the above.

Industry disclosure: I'm a Lamm dealer.

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Lamm is nice with Verity. You mentioned the M2.2 (high power hybrid) and I'm assuming you meant the ML2.2 (~18 watt SET). If you did prefer the hybrid models, the M1.2 (~110 watts in pure class A) would be ideal. A LL2.1 Deluxe preamplifier would be lovely with any of the above. Industry disclosure: I'm a Lamm dealer.

Thx - always good to get insight from someone who knows the gear well. I actually meant the M2.2 because of the power (it too is hybrid?) and runs a bit cooler than the M1.2, thinking that the 18w would not be nearly enough to effectively drive the 91db speaker load and control the 11" driver. With that said, I've had my heart set on the ML2.1 for years, but felt I never had the right speaker, tho came close when I almost picked up the O/96 - alas did not.

Re the L2Ref that I sold - overtime I found it lost it's liveliness, even with fresh tubes in the power supply, it paled in comparison with the Wells Commander 2. So, it either lost or my tastes evolved elsewhere. If the former, seems like I should be a bit concerned with the longevity of equipment over time - wonder if that's a topic explored somewhere - I know caps get old, I imagine other parts do as well. If the latter, then maybe Lamm ain't it for me now.

Because it would be nice to try a newer one, I remain interested in the LL2.1 - but recent emails directly with Lamm suggest that the LL2.1 is inferior to the L2Ref. I've not found any independent comments on that comparison, despite too many hours scouring the web. Your thoughts on these two would be great. My sense is that the signal path tubes in the LL2.1 could be helpful. I'll add that I've considered simply picking up a second Innamorata to vertically biamp each speaker. Any familiarity with this amp?

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
First timer here, tho I've been into audio for a long time now. What a refreshing forum - way more informed than elsewhere.
I'm considering evolving out of my Wells Audio pre - to - amp string for Verity Sorastro 2s (the search tool found zero entries with Sorastro). Looking for more stage and air and emotion - which I suspect means more power.
Anyways, I'm definitely into the used category, and after reading way too many reviews - for amps the Audionet Amp, Ypsilon Aelius,,Hegel H30, and Lamm M2.2, and maybe the Luxman 900u (tho I've read a few comments about round bass - not good start for an 11" woofer) made it onto the list. And for preamps, the VAC Signature Mk2a SE, perhaps the Backert extreme, and maybe back into the Lamm are on the list.
Thanks!

There are some information on WBF about Sarastro. You misspelled the name.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/search/288604/?q=verity+sarastro&o=date

Reactions: marmota

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I've not heard Sarastro but a dealer local to me (now retired) used to carry Verity, invariably for his own listening pleasure he ran Parsifal with Soulution. He had a habit of mixing different kit and cables along with repositioning them, the combination could sound awful. When he got it right it was staggeringly good. Soulution gets a bad rap but in my experience with care it can sound fabulous (with Verity)

Reactions: bmarq

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
You need to start by asking yourself what you're looking for in terms of overall experience from the system. Audionet (classic series) and Hegel are very far from Lamm and Luxman in that regard.

Verity speakers usually works well with a variety of amps being a very balanced speaker that's relatively easy to drive. We've had great experiences with everything from low power tube amps to powerful solid state from Boulder etc.

Your room size and characteristics, musical taste, listening levels and ultimately taste will all influence the outcome. Not to mention the source(s), cables and accessories in your system. The question is also - as always - how much you're willing to spend.

In the end, you have to listen and find out for yourself if you don't know exactly what you want and need - that's the only way.

Hope that helps :)

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
You need to start by asking yourself what you're looking for in terms of overall experience from the system. Audionet (classic series) and Hegel are very far from Lamm and Luxman in that regard.

Verity speakers usually works well with a variety of amps being a very balanced speaker that's relatively easy to drive. We've had great experiences with everything from low power tube amps to powerful solid state from Boulder etc.

Your room size and characteristics, musical taste, listening levels and ultimately taste will all influence the outcome. Not to mention the source(s), cables and accessories in your system. The question is also - as always - how much you're willing to spend.

In the end, you have to listen and find out for yourself if you don't know exactly what you want and need - that's the only way.

Hope that helps :)

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Very fair comment/critique - and I'll admit reaching a bit for straws.
I'm searching for an amp that will add 3 dimensional staging without being forward, emotional presence without being cloaked in a warm blanket, tangible image without the artifice, dynamic without being harsh - all in contrast to what is now rather musical and yet 2 dimensional, never leaving the speaker's plane. Yes, I've played considerably with placement and treatments and believe the Sarastros (spelling fixed) are optimally placed given other real world constraints - the room is rather large - at about 32ft x 15.5ft with asymmetrical ceiling slope (L-R) from 8 to 12ft and unable to be pressurized as it opens fully to the rest of the house.

The amps that made it onto the list are simply those I've stumbled upon which, based on reviews and comments, professional and otherwise, seemed to have the potential to fit the bill. With that out of the way, while a tube guy at heart and endured/enjoyed discoveries through years of tube rolling, I rather loathe the continuing with tubes due to fragility, heat, light at night, microphonics, tube rush, and that constant niggling wondering if the tubes are worn, failing, or whatever given their slow deterioration over time - like a frog in hot water. A hybrid is fine, simply given that there are fewer tubes and the tubes in place likely are totally "necessary" to the designers intention. In contrast, perhaps, to the myriad of tubes in an Atma Sphere or CJ or the many tube push pull kt88 etc designs - done with that, not going there, not intereted.

Thus the listed mix of amps. At this point in my unpaid audiophile career, I care less about the approach to the solution and much more about the solution itself.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Verity are great speakers. The Gryphon integrated amps are sounding very good with Verity, the Diablo 120 and the 300. The 300 is the better amp because it runs more in Class A than the 120.

Very smooth sounding amps with great amounts of power.

JP

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Thanks for the Gryphon suggestion.
I've got a bead on a used pair of D'agostino Progression monoblocks. Thoughts on how those beasts might work with the Sarastros and my goals are most welcome.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi

Thee L2 Reference has a low output voltage so it may be "lifeless" with amplifiers that have low input sensitivity (the higher the number the lower the sensitivity). The Lamm Hybrids require less than 1V to reach max output. You can say the L2 and the Hybrids were literally made for each other. Just a point of information :) Also, a change in power supply tubes requires careful rebiasing. ;)

PS

Also a Lamm Dealer of 12 yrs now

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Thanks for the Gryphon suggestion.
I've got a bead on a used pair of D'agostino Progression monoblocks. Thoughts on how those beasts might work with the Sarastros and my goals are most welcome.

I have used Gryphon with Verity Amadis S and it was a great combination. Even though Verity speakers are quite sensitive they need power to really shine and sound as dynamic as they can. Trust me on this :). Good luck.

JP

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
The ARC 160m's are also a good match with Verity. I used them with a pair of Otello's and they were a match made in heaven.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thx - always good to get insight from someone who knows the gear well. I actually meant the M2.2 because of the power (it too is hybrid?) and runs a bit cooler than the M1.2, thinking that the 18w would not be nearly enough to effectively drive the 91db speaker load and control the 11" driver. With that said, I've had my heart set on the ML2.1 for years, but felt I never had the right speaker, tho came close when I almost picked up the O/96 - alas did not.

Re the L2Ref that I sold - overtime I found it lost it's liveliness, even with fresh tubes in the power supply, it paled in comparison with the Wells Commander 2. So, it either lost or my tastes evolved elsewhere. If the former, seems like I should be a bit concerned with the longevity of equipment over time - wonder if that's a topic explored somewhere - I know caps get old, I imagine other parts do as well. If the latter, then maybe Lamm ain't it for me now.

Because it would be nice to try a newer one, I remain interested in the LL2.1 - but recent emails directly with Lamm suggest that the LL2.1 is inferior to the L2Ref. I've not found any independent comments on that comparison, despite too many hours scouring the web. Your thoughts on these two would be great. My sense is that the signal path tubes in the LL2.1 could be helpful. I'll add that I've considered simply picking up a second Innamorata to vertically biamp each speaker. Any familiarity with this amp?

The LL2.1 is third rung of the three tier Lamm linestage offerings: LL2.1 (1 box), L2.1 Reference (hybrid, 2 box), LL1.1 Signature (4 box). You can read my simple 2009 review of the LL2.1 here. As you would imagine, all three work top-notch with the M1.2 Ref (review) or M2.2 amps (both hybrids with a single tube each.) If you have specific questions, I currently have the L2.1 Ref visiting for later review, so feel free to ask. Here it pairs with the M1.2 Ref. Fwiw, I"m not particularly concerned about longevity with those gears but have no experience with loss of liveliness. To follow-up on Jack's comment re output voltage, at 1 Volt the LL2.1 is higher than the L2.1 Ref at 0.75 V.

Good luck with your search and welcome to WBF.

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
The Wells Innamorata specs report an input voltage sensitivity of 0.85v, in the same range as the Lamm amps. So, perhaps it's not that?

Reactions: clouseau1

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Perhaps not :)

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
huge fan of verity audio , used to have the amazing rienzi . I believe i used an msb s200 with it which sounded just lovely with a variety of amps . a parsifal anniversary would be about the only speaker that would make me sell my current tannoys . love to some pics of your verity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing