Amplification options with TAD speakers

I really have no clue Ricco - Maybe try to have a dealer / friend to lend you one Soulution preamp to try, this would be the best. Sometime in hifi the best of each brand doesn't give the best results. Synergy between components is key. I believe it's more safe to stay within the same brand for the preamp/amp matching (whatever the brand).

Vitus is excellent and known for its relaxed / smooth / big sound but could be a little slow compared to TAD gears. On the other side TAD sound is faster, more clean but never dry or lean, more "neutral" (if it really exists). It is known that TAD is rarely "love at first sight" because of its neutrality and lack of showing off in specific areas. On my (biased) opinion fast and less coloured gears will always give you more room to fine-tune according to your own taste. For example you can easily "slow-down" your system with the right cables (Acoustic Revive / Audioquest / Furutech /...) or smooth the overall sound presentation with the right DAC (Lampizator / Aries Cerat / Abbas / ....). Also don't under estimate your speaker positioning and try different placements if possible to match/compensate the characteristics of your room.

Good luck and keep us posted
Maybe TAD amp is just no my cuppa and I should move to Soulution. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the supportive thoughts.

I will try Thrax Teres mk2 with TAD ME1 as an alternative to TAD amplifier. Let’s see how I’ll perceive the difference.

Reactions: Stef
I will try Thrax Teres mk2 with TAD ME1 as an alternative to TAD amplifier. Let’s see how I’ll perceive the difference.
Should be an amazing match for sure. Thrax energy is beautiful, more coloured and euphonic but really beautiful. Your ME1 will sing. Take the preamp as well if you can.....

Reactions: Ricco275
Beast in the house. More musical than TAD as first reaction. It was dead cold when plugged in. Let’s see in the next two days. MFA passive preamp is pretty useless with Thrax…
IMG_1084.jpeg

Beast in the house. More musical than TAD as first reaction. It was dead cold when plugged in. Let’s see in the next two days. MFA passive preamp is pretty useless with Thrax…
View attachment 132128
Amazing that you can do all those trials at home.
Take your time to really listen and switch between those 2 amps for the same albums/songs.

Those 2 amps can be compared in term of regular retail price in France:
* TAD M1000 stereo ( 29,5dB / 250 W/8Ω / 500W 4Ω) @20800Euros
* Thrax Teres stereo (20db / 150W 8Ω / 200W 4Ω) @21800Euros

Whatever you will choose it will be a good choice since you tried at home…. your ears your money!
Maybe 2 advises: forget / sell your actual preamp since not in the same league with the 2 Power Amps you are actually comparing / Upgrade your DAC if you can (some DAC also have good preamp inside)

Reactions: Ricco275
Amazing that you can do all those trials at home.
Take your time to really listen and switch between those 2 amps for the same albums/songs.

Those 2 amps can be compared in term of regular retail price in France:
* TAD M1000 stereo ( 29,5dB / 250 W/8Ω / 500W 4Ω) @20800Euros
* Thrax Teres stereo (20db / 150W 8Ω / 200W 4Ω) @21800Euros

Whatever you will choose it will be a good choice since you tried at home…. your ears your money!
Maybe 2 advises: forget / sell your actual preamp since not in the same league with the 2 Power Amps you are actually comparing / Upgrade your DAC if you can (some DAC also have good preamp inside)
Actually I have bought the TAD and I have to make my mind in 2 days if I want to return it… the Thrax is on trial. Difference is not massive between the two. Thrax warmer, a bit more musical and more forgiving. Agree on preamp. Problem is, without trying both amps with proper preamp is hard to choose. With TAD I would save 4k euro with the deals I have. MSB discrete dac is good enough as a dac to me so far.

Last edited:
Actually I have bought the TAD and I have to make my mind in 2 days if I want to return it… the Thrax is on trial. Difference is not massive between the two. Thrax warmer, a bit more musical and more forgiving. Agree on preamp. Problem is, without trying both amps with proper preamp is hard to choose. With TAD I would save 4k euro with the deals I have. MSB discrete dac is good enough as a dac to me so far.
So save your 4k Euros and keep TAD! I keep mine open 24/24 - no risk. I guess you will "learn" to appreciate its natural / detailed & fast sound.
MSB is an excellent / neutral DAC and your DAC can be also be improved with a second power supply.

So save your 4k Euros and keep TAD! I keep mine open 24/24 - no risk. I guess you will "learn" to appreciate its natural / detailed & fast sound.
MSB is an excellent / neutral DAC and your DAC can be also be improved with a second power supply.
Two more days of trial with the Thrax and I’ll decide

Hello, I'd like to inquire about the comparison between two M1000 amplifiers and one 2500MK2 amplifier. Are two M1000s better? My speakers are CE1TX.

Hello, I'd like to inquire about the comparison between two M1000 amplifiers and one 2500MK2 amplifier. Are two M1000s better? My speakers are CE1TX.
M2500 is a little more "thick" than M1000 but 2x M1000 is certainly better than 1 M2500. More control of the speakers in bi-amping mode. This is the cheapest way to drive TAD speakers before buying M600/M700s.

View attachment 132128
The passive preamp is not suited to the Thrax amplifier and its reletively modest 16 dB of gain. This is an instance where a potent preamp is definitely needed. The TAD amplifier has heaps of gain and is therefore a good technical match with your passive preamp or the direct output of the MSB DAC.

Hello Ricco! Any news / updates re your system evolution ?
Hi! I’m keeping the M1000 and getting a second hand C600. I wanted to actually get the preamp before sharing out here :) I’ve found a second hand at 14k euro. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.

The passive preamp is not suited to the Thrax amplifier and its reletively modest 16 dB of gain. This is an instance where a potent preamp is definitely needed. The TAD amplifier has heaps of gain and is therefore a good technical match with your passive preamp or the direct output of the MSB DAC.
Unfortunately the passive preamp is not enough for the TAD M1000.

Hi! I’m keeping the M1000 and getting a second hand C600. I wanted to actually get the preamp before sharing out here :) I’ve found a second hand at 14k euro. Not cheap but not crazy expensive.
Amazing!! Excellent move really... A keeper for a lifetime

I’m not missing anything from my C600.
No needed by my side to upgrade to C700.
So, i hope you’ll be satisfied too with C600.
A killer preamp…

Reactions: tom539 and Stef
Hy there,

I've been reading here with great interest for a while now and would like to share my experiences...

I have been a proud owner of the CE-1 for a little over 7 years and have been using it with a Devialet 440 Pro CI since the beginning.

Since one of my main sources is vinyl (and I have been steadily improving here...), it has bothered me for some time that the high-quality analog signal in the Devialet is digitized first.

Of course, this also has the advantage that the DSP can also be used for vinyl...

Nevertheless, the idea of an "unadulterated" analog signal has kept me busy for about half a year. Ideally completely balanced, as my phono is also fully balanced.

So I've had the following integrated amplifiers at home for a test since December.

Soulnote A2:
not quite my cup of tea, but definitely a great device

Vitus SIA-025:
a class of its own, plays in a league of its own
Unfortunately also in terms of price...

Soulution 330:
same level as my Devialet - unexpectedly

B-audio "Alpha One":
played slightly above the Devialet, but some handling issues bothered me

Kondo Overture PM2:
also played incredibly involving and musical - a dream of an amplifier.
Unfortunately, the bass of the CE-1 was not under control

Now a Power III from Accustic Arts is coming at the end of the month, which I'm really looking forward to and quite excited about...

atb, Tom

Now a Power III from Accustic Arts is coming at the end of the month, which I'm really looking forward to and quite excited about...
Keep us posted Tom. Very interesting to read all your comments and findings. AA Power III should be an interesting solution for you.
Powerful integrated balanced Power Amp you could also try a Boulder 866.

Reactions: tom539

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing