Amplification options with TAD speakers

Has anyone had a chance to hear Boulder amps on the TAD CR1tx speakers? Especially the stereo models as the 2160 or the 1160?

My name is Piet Bos from the Netherlands. Recently i swapped my Elac FS507 VX-Jet for TAD-ME1. My Accuphase E-380 was a good match for the Elacs. At lower listening levels, it is also a good match with the TAD’s. But when playing a little louder, i’m missing out on dynamics.
To rule out the possiblity that is could be the max of the speakers, I connected class D 500 watt poweramps to the Accuphase. A lot more happened in the dynamics! At a big cost in terms of involvement and emotion.
So I’m looking for the best of both words I guess.
Do you agree that the ME-1’s do well with a lot of power? Specs say it only needs 150 watta max…
Your suggestions are welcome. Only option (theoretically) until now is second hand Gryphon Diablo 120.
Been reading this whole thread; looking for an upgrade which is not signifcantly more expensive than my Accuphase E-380 which I then will sell. Thanks in advance!

I
My name is Piet Bos from the Netherlands. Recently i swapped my Elac FS507 VX-Jet for TAD-ME1. My Accuphase E-380 was a good match for the Elacs. At lower listening levels, it is also a good match with the TAD’s. But when playing a little louder, i’m missing out on dynamics.
To rule out the possiblity that is could be the max of the speakers, I connected class D 500 watt poweramps to the Accuphase. A lot more happened in the dynamics! At a big cost in terms of involvement and emotion.
Do you agree that the ME-1’s do well with a lot of power? Specs say it only needs 150 watta max…
Your suggestions are welcome. Only option (theoretically) until now is second hand Gryphon Diablo 120.
Been reading this whole thread; looking for an upgrade which is not signifcantly more expensive than my Accuphase E-380 which I then will sell. Thanks in advance!

I was very happy driving the ME1 with Vitus RI-101 mk2. I am now happily driving them with TAD C600 and M1000. Better if you have a lot of power. I know a dealer suggesting audiaflight and luxman mid powered amps with fine results too. You have to try yourself. Cables will do a massive difference. Good luck!

Reactions: Stef
I’m using R1s with a pair of Benchmark AHB2s in mono. A friend is using the Benchmark with CR1s which are I believe closer in efficiency to your speakers. I replaced much more expensive Constellation Centaur mono with the Benchmark and never looked back. Extremely smooth, extremely detailed, unlimited dynamics with R1s. Coincidentally the Benchmark were designed by Andrew Jones twin brother. The two apples clearly are from the same tree. Don’t let the low price, innovative design (they are NOT class D) and regulated switching power supply scare you. These are the best amps I’ve owned. These are so quiet and free of noise and distortion that there are folks driving headphones with them. Try that with most any other amplifier …

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnf
I’m using R1s with a pair of Benchmark AHB2s in mono. A friend is using the Benchmark with CR1s which are I believe closer in efficiency to your speakers. I replaced much more expensive Constellation Centaur mono with the Benchmark and never looked back. Extremely smooth, extremely detailed, unlimited dynamics with R1s. Coincidentally the Benchmark were designed by Andrew Jones twin brother. The two apples clearly are from the same tree. Don’t let the low price, innovative design (they are NOT class D) and regulated switching power supply scare you. These are the best amps I’ve owned. These are so quiet and free of noise and distortion that there are folks driving headphones with them. Try that with most any other amplifier …
Thank you for the quick reply’s. There is only 1 AHB2 for sale in the Netherlands. How do you connect the pair? One amp per speaker or one amp for low and one for mid/highs?

I

I was very happy driving the ME1 with Vitus RI-101 mk2. I am now happily driving them with TAD C600 and M1000. Better if you have a lot of power. I know a dealer suggesting audiaflight and luxman mid powered amps with fine results too. You have to try yourself. Cables will do a massive difference. Good luck!
I’m investogating the vitus now, but I think I have to sell more audio equipment before I can manage to get one of those….

The TAD ME1 are indeed not easy speakers to drive when looking for a good balance between clarity / dynamics and tonality. I have also tried and used several power amps with mixed results. I can share my experience.

Beyond indicative power given by the brands, I believe that being able to deliver high current is what will be the most important to ensure qualitative control of your speakers diaphragm. I have tried the Dartzeel & Riviera integrated power amps which were unable to drive the ME1 correctly despite beautiful timber and texture…. The one I’ve owned and which were able to give enough current and ensure controlled bass / transient speed and weight were (in no specific order) the TAD M1000 stereo / FM F30b stereo / Viola Labs Forte mono and the Ayre MX-R mono. They all bring different tonalities but really deliver good clarity and dynamics.

Since you like Accuphase did you give a try to the A80? A friend is happily driving his TAD speakers with it. Good luck in your quest!

Reactions: Bospiet and shawnf
Thank you for the quick reply’s. There is only 1 AHB2 for sale in the Netherlands. How do you connect the pair? One amp per speaker or one amp for low and one for mid/highs?
The AHB2s can be run in bridged mono mode.

Some recommend getting the best performance running in passive vertical biamping configuration. I personally have not tried this yet but it should be possible with the TAD ME-1.

As @PGA shared, these amps are so quiet you can run them on headphones. I have used them with several Hifiman headphones. Super black backgrounds - if your DAC and source is good, sounds will literally POP out of nowhere.

Reactions: Bospiet
@Bospiet
I´m verry happy with the Accustic Arts POWER III driving my TAD CE-1 - worth to look at... ;)

atb, Tom

Reactions: Bospiet
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Based on your advice, I now have some direction to proceed my search for a suitable amp.
@Ricco275 : can you comment on the dac of the Vitus RI-101? I’m currently using an T+A dac200.

The amps have a switch that converts them to bridged mono. That is how I use them, and same for my friend that has CR1s. In this case it is one amp per speaker. I have four Benchmark amps, so I have also had them in vertical biamp mode using two per speaker. I don’t believe this is necessary or makes much difference. Because these amps have regulated power supplies (rare even in expensive high end), the distortion is essentially the same, almost non existent, at all power levels, until they clip. And into R1s they don’t ever clip. There is an LED on the front that indicates clipping and then they turn off. But they don’t clip. I also had them in a vertical biamp where I bypassed the internal low pass filter for the woofers in the R1 and used an active crossover set up by Andrew Jones, who you know designed the R1 and most TADs. That may have sounded a little better on the bass, but I’m not really sure it did, and it was very complicated. So I reversed the bypass and just use one Benchmark in mono per speaker. Benchmark interconnects and speaker cables are excellent also.

I think TAD loudspeakers need power but the problem is many high power solidstate amplifiers are not emotional.

I recommend you to listen to TAD system (TAD amplifier and CD player) or Vitus Class A pre/power amplifiers like SL103/SM-103 plus Vitus CD player.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu