Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Me too, occasionally and safely.

Or do you mean that you know some dark games?
_____

MikeL, I don't recall seeing a pair of headphones in your listening room?

back in 2010 and 2011 i dived deep into headphone and headphone amplifiers, to investigate for myself whether they could tell me things my speakers could not.

in this thread from back then i talk about my headphone forays.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ng-headphone-amp-designers.16239/#post-294569

turns out headphones don't tell me as much as my speakers, however the best of them do get close to my previous speakers. but not close to my current ones.

i sold my headphone gear to help fund my amp and speaker upgrade back then. i truly enjoyed my time with top level headphones and really enjoyed the headphone lovers. it's an intense group. want to know where future 2 channel audiophiles might come from, it might be these guys.

Reactions: NorthStar

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Mike/All,

I have been trying a Daiza in my system and today received 3 more for my preamp, preamp power supply, and power amp. My goodness, my system improved dramatically. These are the biggest no brainer out there imho. I will Daiza the whole system.

My piccies are too large a file it seems.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
C26F1C00-E1CF-434E-AEE7-6D12200A8BD4.jpeg

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
05768CD1-229E-44A3-B2E8-43FF803CB294.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
8EBBA096-7DB3-4BE6-874E-5629B2390CCB.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
John,

postulated shootouts between different systems on an on-line forum are really not productive. i don't want to pooh pooh the value or lack thereof of videos, but i've not paid enough interest to them to really attach particular weight to them. you will notice i never comment on them from anyone, because i don't listen to them. maybe i should.

instead; since you live only a few hours south of me on I-5 maybe you could venture up here to my place sometime, we can play your recordings, and you can listen for yourself. then let'r rip once you've actually heard your recordings in my system. and maybe i have versions of your recordings you may find interesting. it would be fun.

i have a great deal of interest in the things you seem to focus on too. likely we have more in common in our views than not.

hope you can do it.

best regards,

Mike

Hi, Mike. I agree about the postulated shootout thing not being very productive. But I do think utilizing in-room recordings more in the forums can be a huge benefit because until now, we could only take others at their word.

Anyway, thanks for the invite and honestly I think it would be fun. Perhaps later this spring or summer I'll take you up on your invitation.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Bill,

Is this the whole set with wooden board? Under what component did you initially try under?

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tang,

Yes it's the whole set. Wooden board + footers. Initially a NVO Spa II SE phonostage, posted in a different thread:

Hello All,

I received my demonstration Daiza from Emile first thing this morning.

The packaging and finish of the product are absolutely first class. My goodness, Tankwood (Panzerholz) isn’t bulletproof for nothing - the weight feels similar to granite of similar dimensions lol.

I inserted this under the NVO Spa II SE phonostage. Incredible results achieved immediately with an overall gain in solidity across all frequencies with deeper insight and deeper textured bass. Amazingly things to be bedding in with some changes over time - seem to be gaining resolution and decay. No idea how such changes occur but can only surmise that as vibrational energy within a product drains out slowly, it reaches a steady state? Maybe Emile can weigh in.

Anyway - I put my money where my mouth is and ordered for all my Mayer amps. I am looking to commission a monster for the Vyger too lol.

Emile - feel free to share this post somewhere else - I don’t want to contaminate your SGM Extreme thread but wasn’t sure where else to post.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What is it?

Mike, why the design, why the three "pucks"?

Hi NorthStar,

This design has underwent several iterations. Initially we were looking for a material to extend the Tana (modified tablestable/herzan active platform) attenuation up to high frequencies, we then "discovered" panzerholz, or tankwood to have some very unique damping characteristics. This material is mainly used for bullet proofing armoured vehicles and for reducing vibration in large transformer cores (powerplant sized).

As with all objects with defined physical characteristics we discovered it had some dominant modal nodes dictated by material properties and physical dimensions. We then went through a lot of trial and error trying to eliminate those to get an even frequency response from the board and we came up with the cnc machined spiral pattern visible on the photo's above.

Next we wanted to be able to use them as standalone boards and we came up with the footers which have a strong deliberate "impedance mismatch" between board and surface it's placed on, floor, rack, other shelf, it does not matter much.

This is the version we've been selling up till a few months ago, we have now revised the footers (this is actually version 25 or so), which surprisingly at least doubles the entire platform's performance.

The whole setup converts a significant amount of vibration induced energy to heat, mainly by friction and is about as devoid of self colouration as it gets. We have not come across other products doing the exact same thing so far, so I feel it's safe to say it's a somewhat unique product.

It very significantly reduces vibration induced distortion in components removing annoyances like smear, harshness and imaging instability. It improves dynamic range and reveals previously covered up micro detail, texture and recording venue cues.

One word of warning, especially for digital systems, it is advisable to take note of your volume control setting before using them as when you remove this much distortion from your system you will be inclined to increase your volume to get the same "loudness" feel, combined with the increased dynamic response this can increase strain on your loudspeakers. I generally advice to adjust yourself to the new sound for a few days after which you will not feel the need to increase volume anymore. Especially the removal of distortion induced sibilance and upper mid and high frequency harshness, a common problem in aluminium housings, will make the system volume appear to be set lower.

3 pucks are better then 4 or more, but with increased weight loading the differences between them become very small.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing