An evening with Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Also Emile, can you provide a second set of footers per Daiza? I'm thinking of isolating a server and dac on the one platform.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Also Emile, can you provide a second set of footers per Daiza? I'm thinking of isolating a server and dac on the one platform.

Hi Marc,

The footers you can see are on the underside of the platform. The Daiza is not supplied with footers for your component to the top of the Daiza, which is what Peter is referring to. So you could (in theory) isolate 2 components on a larger platform with 3 footers. I would personally *not* try to isolate 2 like that and instead buy 2 platforms as that will provide superior results.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As with all objects with defined physical characteristics we discovered it had some dominant modal nodes dictated by material properties and physical dimensions. We then went through a lot of trial and error trying to eliminate those to get an even frequency response from the board and we came up with the cnc machined spiral pattern visible on the photo's above. (...)

Fortunately you found that the spiral was the best shape for your panzerholz platforms - the pattern of parallel grooves was patented years ago for audio racks. There are many interesting patents in this field, including techniques to study the platform resonance.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Fortunately you found that the spiral was the best shape for your panzerholz platforms - the pattern of parallel grooves was patented years ago for audio racks. There are many interesting patents in this field, including techniques to study the platform resonance.

how Emile tried the spiral is a story in itself. i will let Emile tell it if he is so inclined. like most ideas it was confluence of causes.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Dear Mike,

I just looked at the video with you making presentation. In the video, I hear your voice has a lot of sibilances. Maybe you need to tune the vta of your vocal cord a little more to please a visitor like Ron. Did he complain about your sibilances during his visit btw. :D

o_O

Joking aside. I would like to congratulate you for your success keeping that tall body of yours very strong and healthy. With this kind of health you will be listening to your stereo for a century.

seriously; i struggle with my diet every day to try and maintain my health. my father died of congestive heart failure and diabetes at the age of 76. so that's my alternative.

MayI ask what pressing you were playing on that Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I only have the Mofi OMR 45. It is not as quiet as yours...cant believe it is a 45! Yours has a red label indicating it is different. The piano notes at the beginning is also quite different from the record I have. Or Maybe it is the video. Anyway, great to see you and hear your fantastic system although it was just a video.

Kindest regards,
Tang

my 'KOB' is the 1995 Classic Records 4 disc 45rpm reissue. i have a shrink-wrapped identical backup too for 'lifetime coverage'. agree it's amazing. jazdoc prefers his KOB OP white label mono. i have OP stereo and mono pressings (not the white label) of KOB but personally the 45 trumps all to my ears.

so there is that.

but i would say that if i need to mainline musical goodness this is a good place to start.

i have 2 different KOB 15ips 1/4" master dubs of unknown provenance. they are pretty good. my 4 disc 45 smokes both my tape dubs.

and honestly this music is so good that my redbook files are super-duper too, and i have a 24/196 file that is crazy good. it's no accident this is the all-time most popular jazz album.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I was being polite saying the OMR45 not as quiet and the piano sounds different. If ddk spirit possessed me, I would say it is a piece of shit.

Your single sided 45 is now $500 a pop.

Tang :oops:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Tang,you have right,next february i will have 60 years old,
but luckily my ears are perfect

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was being polite saying the OMR45 not as quiet and the piano sounds different. If ddk spirit possessed me, I would say it is a piece of shit.

Your single sided 45 is now $500 a pop.

Tang :oops:

i suppose if ever a recording was worth stepping up for the best example, this would be that one....with a bullet.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, I have fantastic results w RevOPods and Panzerholz under my Zus. The Revopods are absolutely enhanced by Panzerholz underneath.

Have you at all considered Daiza as an all-in spkr isolation system? Provide the Daiza footers with a choice of screw threads, do Daiza footers secure tight to the spkr and isolate on the Daiza plinth below.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile, I have fantastic results w RevOPods and Panzerholz under my Zus. The Revopods are absolutely enhanced by Panzerholz underneath.

Have you at all considered Daiza as an all-in spkr isolation system? Provide the Daiza footers with a choice of screw threads, do Daiza footers secure tight to the spkr and isolate on the Daiza plinth below.

Bill answered your first question, spot on.

I have yet to investigate speaker applications, there is quite a bit more to consider there.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

every one of my 5 Tana active isolation systems include two Dazia's (one on top of the TS active device and one under each LPS) + Stechi grounding block. then i have 3 more in passive mode.

one can never have too much panzerholtz. ;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
every one of my 5 Tana active isolation systems include two Dazia's (one on top of the TS active device and one under each LPS) + Stechi grounding block. then i have 3 more in passive mode.

one can never have too much panzerholtz. ;)

Mike have you tried the Setchi grounding block with the passive Daizas?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Mike - forgot. Did you try Daizas under the speakers?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike have you tried the Setchi grounding block with the passive Daizas?

not yet. OTOH, i am the guy who has grounded his passive speaker towers (with the Tripoint Troy Sig) to good effect.

does this stuff ever end?

it's like peeling the world's biggest onion. always more to learn and hear.

Mike - forgot. Did you try Daizas under the speakers?

no.

not going to consider -4- 750 pound towers on loose platforms. if a Dazia type product gets engineered for that use my mind is open.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And you cry all the way Mike LOL.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) my 'KOB' is the 1995 Classic Records 4 disc 45rpm reissue. i have a shrink-wrapped identical backup too for 'lifetime coverage'. agree it's amazing. jazdoc prefers his KOB OP white label mono. i have OP stereo and mono pressings (not the white label) of KOB but personally the 45 trumps all to my ears.

so there is that.

but i would say that if i need to mainline musical goodness this is a good place to start.

i have 2 different KOB 15ips 1/4" master dubs of unknown provenance. they are pretty good. my 4 disc 45 smokes both my tape dubs.

and honestly this music is so good that my redbook files are super-duper too, and i have a 24/196 file that is crazy good. it's no accident this is the all-time most popular jazz album.

Kind of Blue is a typical case where listener preference is the main criteria for selection - there are many versions of the recording, mastered by different people. No one knows how it should sound. It is an LP that should make partisans of ultimate turntable speed accuracy nervous - for thirty years the recordings were issued at the wrong speed in one side and no one noticed ...
Great music in any version anyway!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) it's like peeling the world's biggest onion. always more to learn and hear. (...)

Extremely true. It is an essential part of the stereo sound reproduction - but some people hate it!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Reading this thread i start to listen

20190419_131622.jpg

Cool.

Mike do you have that, the one above on tape?
_____

This thread is inspiring so I'm listening to this right now, just for fun, because music matters (multich 5.1 surr layer) ...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing