Analog Magik

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I predict another Fozgometer goes up for sale shortly.

Looks like one new function which will be great to have in Version 2 is a Zenith function. I already use the VTA track to fine tune Zenith, so it'll be interesting to see how the new Zenith function reports my alignment. Also, just to clarify, while the software upgrade will be free, users will indeed still need to pay for the new LPs to go along with it.
I do the same thing and found out zenith is playing a major role on cartridge alignment. To use vta track for zenith is confirmed but I do wonder too the results of new zenith alignment.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Thank you. I am looking forward to using it to optimize my setup. Currently have a SMARTractor, SMARTstylus, Wallyskater, and Fozgometer as my primary setup tools. Hoping AM helps guide those final adjustments I continue to question and tweak.
Rick

FWIW, I prefer to use AM instead of Fozgometer and WallySkater instead of AM.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
I spent a few hours this morning getting used to the program. I had originally used the SmarTractor to do the setup so I just started on the program to investigate and learn. Azimuth was in need of a change compared to the Fozgometer setup which from my reading I had expected, but what perplexed me the most was the need to move my VTF from the recommended 2.5g to 2.7g. I have used the entire setup steps once with a quick run through a second time and just sampling some playback. So far I like the changes I hear. Now it’s time to restart with the SmarTractor and setup there... oh yeah and there is that second tonearm...

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Thanks to everyone who has commented and provided insight.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
What do you like about WallySkater vs AM?
The WallySkater work takes a few seconds to adjust. With AM you are constantly lifting the needle, adjusting, remeasuring, lifting, remeasuring etc. And when I post-measure with AM I find that the numbers are spot on.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I spent a few hours this morning getting used to the program. I had originally used the SmarTractor to do the setup so I just started on the program to investigate and learn. Azimuth was in need of a change compared to the Fozgometer setup which from my reading I had expected, but what perplexed me the most was the need to move my VTF from the recommended 2.5g to 2.7g. I have used the entire setup steps once with a quick run through a second time and just sampling some playback. So far I like the changes I hear. Now it’s time to restart with the SmarTractor and setup there... oh yeah and there is that second tonearm...
VTF numbers from AM never work well for me. Always too light and then I end up adding weight by ear afterwards.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk

Don't be perplexed. AM is (I believe) unique in allowing VTF to be set so that the cartridge coils are correctly aligned inside the generator, and that alignment may mean a slightly different VTF, but that will be the correct VTF. Other parameters like VTA follow on naturally from setting VTF correctly in this way. VTF is always the very first test that I run with AM.

AM does take quite some time to fully understand, but through it I've learnt so much about the fundamentals of cartridge setup. I'm looking forward to the new version, in due course.

Reactions: edwyun and mtemur

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Thank you for your thoughts. I am starting to gain some insight into the process. After a couple of complete rechecks my VTF is now 2.58gr which i find works well. Each tour through the steps has led to changes and improvements. My azimuth is now 20.8 and 20.7 which is a lot lower than expected for my Madake but a quick check on the Windfeld Ti on my second arm (which I have not optimized yet) has it over 31 so everything seems in order. The main finding is the improvement in the presentation. I think I was focused on certain audible goals in my final tuning by ear that seemed to center on attack and instrument separation. Now the system is presenting a lot more tone with a better balanced unity while continuing to have detail woven into the soundstage. Actually so much better but surprisingly different.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The WallySkater work takes a few seconds to adjust. With AM you are constantly lifting the needle, adjusting, remeasuring, lifting, remeasuring etc. And when I post-measure with AM I find that the numbers are spot on.
Adjust, remeasure, repeat. Yes. I watched the Wally Skater video and it made me cringe the way he was letting the arm/cart flop around as he was setting up the jig. I'd probably make an expensive mistake.

Reactions: Kcin and mtemur

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Care is required regardless of system used. I've dropped the needle on the record with AM thinking the arm lift was engaged when it wasn't. *THUD* Doesn't stop me using it though... It has, however, taught me to eyeball the arm lift before lowering the arm.

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
Hey all.... I typically just lurk here and Rick asked me to forward this info to any AM users. To avoid appearing as a shameless shill I should disclose that I am a dealer for the software and fully believe that the Zenith setting will create quite a stir in the vinyl community.

Here's a sneak peek of AnalogMagik V2 coming down the pipe. I give full credit to our 5 Beta Testers who contributed to the development of several groundbreaking new functions.

We have 5 to 8 new functions coming !! V1 users can upgrade to V2 by simply buying the new Test LPs.

V1 + Upgrade LPs will cost less than buying V2 fresh. V2 Retail box will not have the V1 LPs, so Best get in early !!

The new functions would not have been possible without 5 true vinyl enthusiasts who gave me lots of suggestions and ideas over the past 2 yrs. There are so many true analog gurus around the world!! I give full credit to their efforts leading to AM V2. They are the true contributors to the analog world of the 21st century.

So Dave, If you wait, you will pay 10% more for V2. So buying V1 + Upgrade is 10% cheaper than V2.
I do this to reward my current user, and to encourage people to get in early. Also if you buy now, you will have the V1 + V2 LPs, but if you wait and by V2 Retail package, it will not have V1 LPs.

I usually do not go on Whats best forum, would you help me convey this message to the group ?

Thanks.

Rick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Looking forward to new metrics to measure!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
So Dave, I cannot disclose the pricing structure yet, as I am in talks with distributor. But if you wait, you will pay 10% more for V2. So buying V1 + Upgrade is 10% cheaper than V2.
I do this to reward my current user, and to encourage people to get in early. Also if you buy now, you will have the V1 + V2 LPs, but if you wait and by V2 Retail package, it will not have V1 LPs.
Hi Dave. So I’m not quite sure I understand. Is V1+ actually the complete full V2, plus another set of V1 disks?

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
As I understand it If you buy the original, you just need to buy a new test record to upgrade to V2 and the total cost (amount paid for AM1 and the AM2 test record) will be ~10% less than a new copy of V2. Plus if you just start with V2, you will not get the records that ship with V1.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Bottom line, I guess, is buy V1 before it's too late.

I'm really looking forward to V2 for its new zenith feature(s). I've already been convinced by V1 that Zenith is by far the biggest fish we have to fry during cartridge alignment. So, the more functionality available for dialing it in, the better. And not to sound like a fanboy, but I firmly now believe that zenith should be aligned by measurement and those who think they're getting it right by site or by sound are leaving performance on the table. Weird pun not intended. Sure, tweak VTA, VTF, even azimuth by ear. But zenith should be nailed by measurement. It really makes a substantial difference.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Zenith is indeed of very high importance. Successful Zenith correction is ensuring the right phase, high channel separation and very low distortion therefore great sound and lifelike experience.

Reactions: edwyun and mtemur

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Agreed with Vienna and bazelio. I’d spoken with Rick about this at length. Glad he (and his sister!) got it working.

Dave, I imagine with the new V2 we’d also get a new USB dongle to activate the new features.

edwyun

Feb 27, 2019
My azimuth is now 20.8 and 20.7 which is a lot lower than expected for my Madake but a quick check on the Windfeld Ti on my second arm (which I have not optimized yet) has it over 31 so everything seems in order.
I, and others, have found that AnalogMagik's azimuth crosstalk readings are generally a bit lower than what one would expect based on a cart's spec. As the cart is optimized, it gets closer though. For example, after critically adjusting a Lyra Delos (spec is > -30dB), I would get -29.23dB Left/-29.21dB Right using AnalogMagik. Close. As a comparison, using Ajdust+ on the same day and setup resulted in -34.9dB Left/-35.3dB Right. I assume these differences are due to differences in algorithm. In any case, it works.

Reactions: drrsutliff

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
Dave, I imagine with the new V2 we’d also get a new USB dongle to activate the new features.
I don't think a dongle change will be needed since there will not be an additional software charge to move from V1 to V2. The only requirement will be a new test album with the requisite tracks for the new features.

dave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing