Antipodes CX+EX

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
Dear all
I am very interested in this new K50. One question for the lucky ones already using it.
Are you running Roon core on it? With a relatively large music library? How fast is it? I am wondering how much is the memory?

I am using roon core + squeeze player, my db is not to big, what about 1tb, but works fast, also i haven’t had any speed issues with Antipodes CX.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I am using Roon. However, I am currently ripping all of my CD's so the library is not too large (yet). It is super fast right now

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I am using roon core + squeeze player, my db is not to big, what about 1tb, but works fast, also i haven’t had any speed issues with Antipodes CX.
@swatello, can you tell us more about the rest of your system?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I am using Roon. However, I am currently ripping all of my CD's so the library is not too large (yet). It is super fast right now
Which cables and inputs are you using thus far?
FWIW, I recently discovered that a heavily shielded power cable was sucking the life out of my CX+EX. I reinstalled the unshielded one and the magic returned.
Also, are you running the regular KR PX25, or the RK’s? Rectifier?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hi Tuckia,

On the K50 I have been using MIT MAX SPDIF cable. I also have a Shunyata Sigma AES cable to try. I started with the FTA Callisto USB but was having issues with the USB connection for some reason. I may try the Audioquest diamond to rule out the cable and/or connect to the MSB. But I just wanted to get it running and buring in rather than troubleshooting the USB. I am currently using a Nordost Tyr power cable as I had it lying around. I will likely try a Shunyata in the near future.

Which shielded power cable did you have trouble with? Which digital cable are you using? Are you using a power conditioner?

On the Lampi I use the KR PX25's with the KR 5U4G. I have several tubes to try. I did have a pair of EAT 300Bs in it before the PX25s that were sounding very nice which I want to go back and try again now that everything is burned in. I also have the ACME 274B and a couple other rectifiers yet to try. What are you running?

Thanks,
Todd

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi Tuckia,

On the K50 I have been using MIT MAX SPDIF cable. I also have a Shunyata Sigma AES cable to try. I started with the FTA Callisto USB but was having issues with the USB connection for some reason. I may try the Audioquest diamond to rule out the cable and/or connect to the MSB. But I just wanted to get it running and buring in rather than troubleshooting the USB. I am currently using a Nordost Tyr power cable as I had it lying around. I will likely try a Shunyata in the near future.

Which shielded power cable did you have trouble with? Which digital cable are you using? Are you using a power conditioner?

On the Lampi I use the KR PX25's with the KR 5U4G. I have several tubes to try. I did have a pair of EAT 300Bs in it before the PX25s that were sounding very nice which I want to go back and try again now that everything is burned in. I also have the ACME 274B and a couple other rectifiers yet to try. What are you running?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd, I appreciate changing out a component like this is a real process, not to mention the break-in aspects, which are real. It takes time. I’ll be hear when you have more to share. But since we both have a Pacific, I’m patiently curious regarding how this works for you.

I’ve tried many tube options in the dac and have settled for a time now on the RK PX25 with RK 5u4g. As a twist, I’m running KR PX25 with KR 5u4g in my amps. How many out there run the same tubes in their dac and amps?

Without a P2, I can only run usb into the Pac. I also have an FTA Callisto which is working for me quite well. Are you having the usb issue with the Pac or MSB? Does your PAC have the Amanarro with Linux drivers?

I’m experimenting with a Torus power conditioner right now. I’ll PM you with the power cord situation.

Greg

Reactions: christoph

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
@swatello, can you tell us more about the rest of your system?

My current system:
Antipodes k50 - MIT Oracle Ma digital - Sonic Frontiers SFD2 MK2 (direct, without tubes) or Bricasti M1 (my new dac, i still haven’t opinion)
- MIT oracle Max SHD xlr interconnects, Linn Klimax Kontrol 2 preamp, Spectral DMA 250
Amp, MIT Oracle MAX SHD speaker cable, Sonus Faber Electra Amator 2 speakers, Cabasse Santorin 30-500 sub. Power cables MIT Ac1, Ac2,
Pourist Dominus rev b, Black Cat, 47 labs.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Can any of the K50 owners offer comments after a few hundred hours of burn in?

Others - K40, K30, S series?

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
Can any of the K50 owners offer comments after a few hundred hours of burn in?

Others - K40, K30, S series?

Hello Tuckia,
I have been listening antipodes k50 for last three weeks. Yeah, this is a good step ahead CX-EX combo, maybe coz i don’t need use P2, LAN, Usb cables but basically is really more natural, deep, organic sound, more comfortable and detailed cymbals. A really strong attack )
So i am happy with it, for sure.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hello Tuckia,
I have been listening antipodes k50 for last three weeks. Yeah, this is a good step ahead CX-EX combo, maybe coz i don’t need use P2, LAN, Usb cables but basically is really more natural, deep, organic sound, more comfortable and detailed cymbals. A really strong attack )
So i am happy with it, for sure.
Thanks for sharing swatello. Sounds like the K50 is a solid choice.

Reports are that it will be 6 to 9 months before CX, EX, or other upgrade paths are announced. This leaves us to guess on the cost and possible performance levels.

Reactions: richard_crl032

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
Hello Guys!
I have discovered that K50 playing Tidal and Qobuz much better than CX-EX combo,
Basically on CX-EX i use Tidal/Qobuz only for searching new music, coz the difference between internal ssd and Online was really big.
On K50 i have found that i am happy to listen Tidal and Qobuz, now it's really close to SSD :)
Looks like Antipodes guys have done a great job with K50 optimization!

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
@richard_crl032 it seems the PDF on the stereonet forum can’t be opened unless you are a forum
member there. Would it be possible for you to share the file on this forum?

Hi LeBlanc,

Sure .. Antipodes' property for all users but credit to jhsg bro of course for posting there in the 1st place.

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

• How to Upgrade toVersion28_201201104.pdf
    81.7 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: LeBlanc

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you for providing these instructions. What are the benefits of upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8 on CX / EX?

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi Abeidrov,

Quite a massive update but for me, it is always good to have the latest and greatest to avoid use outdated SW stack to avoid issues or allow latest app updates.

Not SQ related I had been advised and certainly did not sound worst to me while some felt some improvement but yes, always a possible of bricking yr antipodes which means sending it back.

Cheers.

Richard

The Version 2.8 upgrade is a general upgrade to bring the Linux software and associated apps up the current level

Reactions: abeidrov

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Thanks for sharing swatello. Sounds like the K50 is a solid choice.

Reports are that it will be 6 to 9 months before CX, EX, or other upgrade paths are announced. This leaves us to guess on the cost and possible performance levels.

Hi tuckia,

I had been advised that upgrade details will be announced earlier in next 2-3 months but indeed actual update will only be >6 mths from now.

Cheers.

Richard

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi tuckia,

I had been advised that upgrade details will be announced earlier in next 2-3 months but indeed actual update will only be >6 mths from now.

Cheers.

Richard
Richard,

Thanks for clarifying the update status.

Considering the possibility of upgraded power supplies for the CX and EX (to HSL 50 level ?), and that the CX uses the same physical board as the K50/K40 server section, it seems that these upgraded combos could be quite competitive. If they offer an upgrade to the EX board from the V4X to the V5X, this combo could approach the level of the K50's USB section. If this could be done in the $2k-$3k usd range we would have good reason to hold on to our combos. Lots of ifs however.

Reactions: richard_crl032

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Richard,

Thanks for clarifying the update status.

Considering the possibility of upgraded power supplies for the CX and EX (to HSL 50 level ?), and that the CX uses the same physical board as the K50/K40 server section, it seems that these upgraded combos could be quite competitive. If they offer an upgrade to the EX board from the V4X to the V5X, this combo could approach the level of the K50's USB section. If this could be done in the $2k-$3k usd range we would have good reason to hold on to our combos. Lots of ifs however.

Hi Tuckia,

Indeed and I just bought the ex+cx stack this year with cx just a few months old with even amsv3.0 :(

Cheers.

Richard

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing