Any Bergmann "Galder" owners here ?

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
Hello - is there any owner of Bergmann Magne? I'm considering the Magne and am interested in experiences. thanks

Not Magne, but until very recently I owned a Modi with Odin arm, which doesn't look to be dramatically different?

For what it's worth, I absolutely loved my Modi and though that it was excellent! Everything about it, from the solid, simple, elegant, and slightly brutalist minimalism of the design, through to the precision and solid quality of the manufacturing, the wizardry and engineering behind the airbearing platter and tonearm, and of course, the audio performance. I don't claim to be any sort of super experienced vinylista, but I thought that my Modi/Odin combo sounded very good, and it was certainly a very big step up from the Oracle Paris that I owned previously (although I thought that too was very good at its relative price point).

I am a big fan of bergmann and would recommend the turntables without hesitation. In fact, the only reason that I moved on from Modi was that I made the jump to a Galder Signature - I'm really very pleased with that!

Reactions: crosswind

parnass

Feb 3, 2021
thank you for the reference - one more question is there any reason to worry about any parts failure or any inconvenience with the air pump ?

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
thank you for the reference - one more question is there any reason to worry about any parts failure or any inconvenience with the air pump ?

I think that bergmann products are very solidly made, so presumably any failures are more likely to be with the power supply/air pump box (although this is pure speculation and it never crossed my mind that this was likely) - perhaps Philip O Hanlon or another dealer could give you some insight regarding failures or returns under warranty. Certainly, my experience has been that the product was faultless, and the box that houses the power supply and air pump/vacuum is also very quiet - you won't notice it. It doesn't worry me when i think into the future regarding parts, but obviously, worry and risk are personal and rather subjective!

Have you physically seen a bergmann table and listened to one yet? If not, try and get a demo, and hopefully you'll be impressed too!

Reactions: parnass

parnass

Feb 3, 2021
I have one more question - I decided to buy a Bargmann Modi (but I'm considering whether Thor or Odin) what would speak in a hurry Odin (is the price difference somehow justified?)

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
I have one more question - I decided to buy a Bargmann Modi (but I'm considering whether Thor or Odin) what would speak in a hurry Odin (is the price difference somehow justified?)

Excellent - I hope that you're just as pleased with yours as I have been mine! That's tricky regarding the difference between Odin and Thor as I have only seen and heard Odin tonearms, on Modi, Galder, and Galder Signature turntables. Looking on the bergmann website there doesn't appear to be a vast difference between Odin and Thor, although I'm happy to be corrected by someone knowledgable. They both use the same air supplies and have very similar construction, it looks like azimuth and perhaps VTA adjustment might be slightly different, although once mine was set up I never touched it. Perhaps there are slight differences in the materials used, or that Odin is more rigid than Thor. I'm not sure. Certainly, Thor seems to be the most commonly shipped partner to Modi. The reason I bought Odin rather than Thor to partner my Modi is not very impressive or clever, I wanted to get the most out of my cartridge and was led to believe that a 'better' tonearm was the way to go in that regard. It certainly sounded good to my ears though and I don't regret the decision.

Here's a photo of my Modi when I got it, I should also get around to posting up some photos of my new Galder Signature at some point too.

Modi Odin.jpg

Reactions: crosswind

parnass

Feb 3, 2021
Excellent - I hope that you're just as pleased with yours as I have been mine! That's tricky regarding the difference between Odin and Thor as I have only seen and heard Odin tonearms, on Modi, Galder, and Galder Signature turntables. Looking on the bergmann website there doesn't appear to be a vast difference between Odin and Thor, although I'm happy to be corrected by someone knowledgable. They both use the same air supplies and have very similar construction, it looks like azimuth and perhaps VTA adjustment might be slightly different, although once mine was set up I never touched it. Perhaps there are slight differences in the materials used, or that Odin is more rigid than Thor. I'm not sure. Certainly, Thor seems to be the most commonly shipped partner to Modi. The reason I bought Odin rather than Thor to partner my Modi is not very impressive or clever, I wanted to get the most out of my cartridge and was led to believe that a 'better' tonearm was the way to go in that regard. It certainly sounded good to my ears though and I don't regret the decision.

Here's a photo of my Modi when I got it, I should also get around to posting up some photos of my new Galder Signature at some point too.

View attachment 125345
thank you, i think i will do the same, although it will be a very tight budget for me. my modi should arrive in about 2 months, when i have it i will post a pic. until then i will be grateful for any advice and references.

Reactions: Corinthian

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Hi guys, great reading.
I am curious about your suggestions. I own the Bergmann Galder with the Bergman Thor arm. I have done so for around six months, and it is used daily. The main reason for the Thor was that the Headshell is flat, which works with my Ortofon Jubilee cartridge. However, Mr Bergmann recently informed me that he could manufacture the Odin with a flat headshell. It's something I may pursue later.
I am after changing my cartridge, which has done me for 15 years and rebuilt twice (new innards). I am looking at Lyra as a contender but unsure if they would work well with the Thor arm. The budget would be up to £5k. The issue I have is being able to try any combination. I am based in the UK; my primary Dealer is Nintronics. Should I be looking at Lyra, or is there something more suitable? I have no specific taste in music, so I will need to be a good all-rounder.

the rest of the system consists of Mola Mola:- Makua preamp with phono and tambaqui boards. Kula Monoblocks. TAD CE1 standmounts. Loom is Jorma Design Unity cables and power chords. Atlas Arran custom-built balanced phono cable.

Attachments

• IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    574.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend has Galder with Odin and Lyra Lambda Sl,and this combo is very good and Lyra is a good match with odin.
I had some years ago Snider with Atlas SL and also here was a very good matches if you like Lyra no problem

Corinthian

Apr 10, 2023
I'm also in the UK, and my Galder signature and Odin also came from Nintronics - I absolutely love Bergmann products and was fortunate enough to have Johnnie himself come and set my turntable up at home! It is paired with a Hanna Umami red cartridge, which comes in well under 5k and I bought blind having read so many glowing reviews. A bit of a risk but I think it sounds very decent indeed and I listen to all sorts of music, although mainly blues and rock.

I haven't heard Lyra but from what I read, yours should sound excellent. Have you considered adding another arm and a completely different type/style of cartridge? Perhaps the custom Odin and Lyra, then a completely different arm and cartridge combo?

There seem to be so many really very good cartridges available that we're spoiled for choice, but I find it difficult to pick between them, especially as it's so difficult to demo a selection. Just reading this forum gives me too many ideas for what. I would like to listen to or try next

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
The budget would be up to £5k. The issue I have is being able to try any combination. I am based in the UK; my primary Dealer is Nintronics. Should I be looking at Lyra, or is there something more suitable? I have no specific taste in music, so I will need to be a good all-rounder.

Altho not showing in their current product portfolio perhaps enquire with Roger whether he might be able to arrange a good deal for a TopWing Red Sparrow , or if too much of a stretch the Blue Dragon .

Reactions: bonzo75

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been digging around; 108CY has suggested a more "full-bodied" cartridge would suit a linear arm and has suggested Etsuro. My main worry, though, is that I am using an active phono stage rather than an SUT, so low-output cartridges may not be suitable. The Jubilee is 0.34mv. I have on loan the Hanna Umami Blue, which I am breaking in before any serious listening, but so far, it seems pretty good.

TopWing has an even lower output, so matching up with the right SUT would put it pretty much out of my range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing