Anyone connecting Lampizator PACIFIC Dac using RCA connections

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Since the OP hasn't post - (as Paul Harvey would say) here is the rest of the story...
The OP asked whether he could bring along his new CJ preamp (I don't remember what model, but it was pretty fancy). He set up the Lampi Pacific and we plugged it directly into the wall socket - not my isolation transformer - using a cheap AC cord. I had earlier done the same with my Lampi and it was dead quiet coming from the wall. We connected my computer and fancy FTA USB cable and 512 engineering RCA interconnects - and there was no noise, just great music. We switched to a cheap USB cable - still no noise. So it was pretty clear - the Lampi was not a problem. We took out the CJ preamp, and the OP said he had heard something moving around in the CJ when he was packing it up. So I suggested we take the top off before plugging anything in. We opened up the CJ and there was a big capacitor (one of many in the CJ) sitting loose, able to roll around in the case! We didn't want to plug it in with the loose capacitor, so we took it out and tried to determine where it belonged. Not sure, but it certainly was not supposed to be loose. The conclusion was that if he had not also packed up the CJ preamp, he probably would not have heard the loose capacitor moving around in the case and determined the problem. Tomorrow there will be call to CJ.

Larry
Thanks for the rest of the story :cool:
For one I'm glad that not the Pacific was the cause and secondly that you together where able to determine the real culprit and therefore a solution seems possible in the very near future :eek:

Reactions: LampiNA

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Since the OP hasn't post - (as Paul Harvey would say) here is the rest of the story...
The OP asked whether he could bring along his new CJ preamp (I don't remember what model, but it was pretty fancy). He set up the Lampi Pacific and we plugged it directly into the wall socket - not my isolation transformer - using a cheap AC cord. I had earlier done the same with my Lampi and it was dead quiet coming from the wall. We connected my computer and fancy FTA USB cable and 512 engineering RCA interconnects - and there was no noise, just great music. We switched to a cheap USB cable - still no noise. So it was pretty clear - the Lampi was not a problem. We took out the CJ preamp, and the OP said he had heard something moving around in the CJ when he was packing it up. So I suggested we take the top off before plugging anything in. We opened up the CJ and there was a big capacitor (one of many in the CJ) sitting loose, able to roll around in the case! We didn't want to plug it in with the loose capacitor, so we took it out and tried to determine where it belonged. Not sure, but it certainly was not supposed to be loose. The conclusion was that if he had not also packed up the CJ preamp, he probably would not have heard the loose capacitor moving around in the case and determined the problem. Tomorrow there will be call to CJ.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you for sharing the details of the account!

The guys are CJ are good, meticulous folks so I'm sure the lose cap was a shipping related issue.

In any event, I'm glad OP's Pacific is healthy and you two were able to pinpoint the true issue.

Thanks again,

Fred A.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm honestly super happy that OP could define, with the wholehearted help from Larry particularly, what the culprit of the hum issue was, and that he can now focus his attention to proper direction in solving the annoying problem. Also needs to be mentioned help from entire Lampi community, who as we by now know, always jumps to help when needed.
But I also need to notice, after waiting academic 15 min (or more), that OP did not find as appropriate to inform community on his own, on the source of the issue, while when "issue" was there he was extremely active pointing out to one and only source of problem in several threads here, as well as on other forums.
Coincidence? Or maybe not...

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
So it seems I’m needed anymore. Damn I’m always late to the party but it’s also when the woman are drunk
I think Cj is a very well made product great sound too. I wish the poster would have been the one to admit this ? Did I miss it lol. We all have accused makers of products me myself even a lampizator product. In the end we should always own up to our faults. Maybe it’s the cynic in me but could it be a setup hahaha I’m kidding and very glad it’s kinda sorted out now.

Reactions: Golum

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Gentlemen,

Yes, Enquiring minds would like to know the rest of the story and maybe the OP will follow-up eventually. I do not know the OP personally, but have had multiple PM’s following my earlier suggestion in this thread. First to reference the MSB Technology article on running dedicated lines by Vince Galbo that I followed for my install, but then to suggest that he should give CJ a chance to evaluate and respond to the situation before taking it public in a forum. This is possibly what he is doing. I suspect you all can relate to this approach. As someone who has functioned as an R&D manager, engineering manager, and project manager in various fields, I always appreciated the opportunity to engage and control the narrative before things go sour. Satisfaction for both parties is more probable when this approach is taken. Public bashing in a forum may feel like a great way to vent in the moment, but this print lives on forever. The most sensitive to this bashing are usually the most empowered to correct, if proper decorum is followed..

As for me, my new Pacific arrives this week! Although improbable, if there are any issues, I know whom to PM ;)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Vince was helpful to me too. He had emailed me a paper giving details of grounding as well. he is a good guy. Keep us posted on the pac. What model msb did you own ?

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Thank you everyone, especially Larry, for all the help in properly diagnosing the problem. As it’s pertinent to the story, I wanted to settle the Issue with CJ first to be able to provide the full scoop. Jeff at CJ informed me to return the GATV2, he explained the circuit board holes used fas anchor points, are very sharp and in the shipping process, the nylon tie downs must have gotten sliced. And the capacitor being heavy, snapped off as it was only held on by tiny solder points. Regardless I’m insisting on a completely different unit. My dealer Ross came through and agreed to cover shipping cost back to CJ.

My question would a loose capacitor cause the hum? Jeff understandably was noncommittal. See attached photos. Presently I’m continuing to clean up my environment and getting shielded RCA cables (belden 8402 with Duelund plastic free RCA). Also considering a ground loop eliminator.

Attachments

• F873226B-9E1A-4F86-A4A6-BB6801458DD3.png
    F873226B-9E1A-4F86-A4A6-BB6801458DD3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 9FE29C75-2DCE-405F-9960-E9B9756D6080.jpeg
    9FE29C75-2DCE-405F-9960-E9B9756D6080.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: howiebrou

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It depends on where it was being used. If it one of many in parallel in the psu I say it’s not the cause. if it’s 1 in a filter circuit yes. Either way you need to make your system reasonable silent. For one it’s now obvious not to be the lampizator it’s my real concern in this. I also tell buyers lampizator is a large family to help if help is asked for and not a dart board if you get my drift. so who lives near Justin user211 now lol.

Reactions: Redphu

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My question would a loose capacitor cause the hum? Jeff understandably was noncommittal. See attached photos. Presently I’m continuing to clean up my environment and getting shielded RCA cables (belden 8402 with Duelund plastic free RCA). Also considering a ground loop eliminator.

What is the point of wondering if the capacitor could be the issue? When you get the unit back you will see if it was or wasn't the cause of the hum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It depends on where it was being used. If it one of many in parallel in the psu I say it’s not the cause. if it’s 1 in a filter circuit yes. Either way you need to make your system reasonable silent. For one it’s now obvious not to be the lampizator it’s my real concern in this. I also tell buyers lampizator is a large family to help if help is asked for and not a dart board if you get my drift. so who lives near Justin user211 now lol.

Justin is like the boy who ran away from the family to Cuba and now only shoots from the hip.

79D71686-C99F-4149-A998-99F4824B585A.jpeg

Reactions: Alrainbow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I pity the poor guy that marries Justin's sister. Just don't answer the door to Justin, Lol.

that's more the issue. Just don't say anything about his 211 power amp under driving his apogees or his preamp, otherwise he will crush you like a cockroach

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
...with the deck cleared, it's time for the Oakland chapter of the CJ Owner's Group to step in. That Cabernet sipping, leather-clad group of rough necks who wear ear plugs as they pull up on their choppers, wielding justice with Bocchino ended power cords on those who desecrate the brand.

Reactions: RussR and Alrainbow

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Vince was helpful to me too. He had emailed me a paper giving details of grounding as well. he is a good guy. Keep us posted on the pac. What model msb did you own ?
Didn't own an MSB, just had the article.
Pac arrives on Valentines day. From me, to me, love me.
My GG2 didn't take long on break in, but it was an upgrade, so half broken in already. How long for a new Pac to open up?
Thanks Al, you are a wealth of knowledge and have enjoyed reading your posts. This applies to all of the Lampi family who have participated here as well.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
All joking assed we help each other and while I did through some rocks I will be very open to help him when he gets the pre amp back. And I do like cj products very much too. Old school USA.
May I asked what tubes you have or plan to try ?

Reactions: christoph

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Have been running the RK 5u4g with RK PX25 for some time now going back to the GG1 version. Sold off the KR PX4 already and listed the WE101D L. Have a GEC U52, but not inclined to use it. I like the dynamics of the KR recti. Sold the EML 5au4 mesh recti. Occasionally I pull a pair of Audio Art 300b out of my VAC amp, but this is for vocal play, not everyday. Like the GG2, the PAC is SE no VC.

Rob of Lampi NA informed me that output voltage is now switchable 2V to 4V. I’m eager to try this as system gain is quite high. No overload in the pre, but very little VC range. Would like to try the 242’s someday.

Suggestions? Maybe I need to start over, maybe not. Can always add more into the rotation.

The rest:
Antipodes CX+EX
LTA Microzotl Preamp
LTA Ultralinear
VAC Ren. 30/30 mk. 3 Sig.
Daedalus Apollo 11
FTA Callisto
Wywires

Can’t blame the Lampi guys here for this decision. The Pacific was the first Lampizator I ever heard in a system almost identical to what I now have. Can’t un-hear it, so I had to get me one. Black with copper top.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Have been running the RK 5u4g with RK PX25 for some time now going back to the GG1 version. Sold off the KR PX4 already and listed the WE101D L. Have a GEC U52, but not inclined to use it. I like the dynamics of the KR recti. Sold the EML 5au4 mesh recti. Occasionally I pull a pair of Audio Art 300b out of my VAC amp, but this is for vocal play, not everyday. Like the GG2, the PAC is SE no VC.

Rob of Lampi NA informed me that output voltage is now switchable 2V to 4V. I’m eager to try this as system gain is quite high. No overload in the pre, but very little VC range. Would like to try the 242’s someday.

Suggestions? Maybe I need to start over, maybe not. Can always add more into the rotation.

The rest:
Antipodes CX+EX
LTA Microzotl Preamp
LTA Ultralinear
VAC Ren. 30/30 mk. 3 Sig.
Daedalus Apollo 11
FTA Callisto
Wywires

Can’t blame the Lampi guys here for this decision. The Pacific was the first Lampizator I ever heard in a system almost identical to what I now have. Can’t un-hear it, so I had to get me one. Black with copper top.
Congrats on the Duracell Pacific :cool:

Reactions: Tuckia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing