Anyone Listen to the Taiko Extreme Server and Go With Something Else? Anyone Make a Change from Taiko?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
There is truth to ur comment but even though I build them , you can only get so far and hit the windshield like a bug
atleast for me anyway
That's why the best don't use off - the - shelf motherboards and are fully custom like Wadax.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
You seem to make assumptions based on no knowledge of others - think before you judge. WRT to your statement, "Taiko’s customers are looking for the best sounding server. That cannot be achieved at the current time with a simple appliance". If that's true, I assume you are all looking to switch to Wadax then? Also, FYR, the LinQ can run HQPlayer NAA, HQPlayer Core + NAA, UPNP DLNA and Squeezelite. You can have the last word, thanks for the conversation. have a good one!
I’m really sorry that the real world is at odds with the illusion you need to sustain. Your battle isn’t with us so I can understand your frustration. Reality sure can be stubborn. :)

You have a heck of a nice system so I’m sure you must be hearing some really nice sounds.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
That's why the best don't use off - the - shelf motherboards and are fully custom like Wadax.
At what point does modding become custom ? I think at the first mod period. Let’s not make this thread another wadax is unique ok. at there price point what’s unique is who can afford it
I’m very sure it’s well sounding , well made and from the little I’ve read has adjustments never shown to users
great stuff I think
to make this simple thread about purity it’s offense to me and I’m sure others.
high end audio is a mix of talent , conception , knowledge , time , experience
sadly smoked mirrors and buz have to much of an effect on buyers views
just saying

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
awesome, good luck - the journey is as fun as the destination. after you have made your decision or even prior would love to read your feedback on the components you are trying out
I have landed on the Pachanko Constellation Masterpiece. I have been posting updates in the following thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-pachanko-server-is-here-a-bargain-at-16k-euros.33429/

If you want to know more specifics send me a direct message. I'm not going to lay out all of the servers I tried because people tend to act like they lost a child if one doesn't select the same unit as them.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
congrats! nice looking bit of kit too. does it work only with roon or are you able to use other streaming services with it as well?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Music Management is Roon. I do have HQPlayer installed and have been doing some comparison between Roon and Roon w/HQPlayer. I will be demoing a Diretta Target in the future.

Reactions: Skanda

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Music Management is Roon. I do have HQPlayer installed and have been doing some comparison between Roon and Roon w/HQPlayer. I will be demoing a Diretta Target in the future.
If I may ask - what is your conclusion from comparison of Roon vs. Roon+HQPlayer?
What was the configuration Roon Server+Bridge(HQPlayer) or as one box? Roon was Windows or Linux based?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
If I may ask - what is your conclusion from comparison of Roon vs. Roon+HQPlayer?
What was the configuration Roon Server+Bridge(HQPlayer) or as one box? Roon was Windows or Linux based?
Everything in on one box running Windows. The Pachanko Masterpiece is a 3 box solution as you can see below. Server with 2 box power supply.

Now Roon vs. Roon+HQPlayer does present a different sound. In my setup HQPlayer gives me a bit more upper detail and air. Straight Roon give me more low/mid bass detail, more rhythm. Now I haven't done any upsampling so things might change in the future.

Attachments

• Masterpiece.jpeg
    Masterpiece.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Of the top contenders we choose the Aurender N30SA (app one year ago). For us the Taiko was a close second and with the new Taiko updates it may now surpass the N30, I’m not sure. A friend has the Taiko, so I‘m going to do another comparison … This said, I did an update of the N30 this morning, and it was a significant change in the sound - for the better.
I own both the N30 and Taiko Extreme they are on diffrent systems and both Excellent. I decided to downsize and only keep 1 server . My choice was to keep the N30 , the biggest reason for this choice was the Aurender App . I don't care for Roon and TAS is hit and miss . The Aurender app is simple and just works . If I still have the Taiko when XDMS is released things might change who knows . But sound wise I could live with either.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I’m still wondering what improvements - if any - an Aurender MC20 - a $30k clock - connected to a N30SA would make? My DAC offers no connection for an external clock.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I’m still wondering what improvements - if any - an Aurender MC20 - a $30k clock - connected to a N30SA would make? My DAC offers no connection for an external clock.
I spent the money on a clock awhile back for my esoteric even purchased top cable . To me is was a waste of money . Unless you have multiple PCs that have a clock hookup and keep everything in sync I wouldn't bother .

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I spent the money on a clock awhile back for my esoteric even purchased top cable . To me is was a waste of money . Unless you have multiple PCs that have a clock hookup and keep everything in sync I wouldn't bother .
Many Thanks much appreciated.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
My DAC doesn't either, and I'm almost glad of that fact. :)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
For YouTube videos, my wife, Deb, and I have been digging and watching videos from Darryl's house, aka Daryl Hall, so the ability to access videos is a really nice-to-have feature for us. I doubt many hard-core audiophiles care about this, but video can add a vibrant dimension to high-end sound and uncover live performances otherwise unavailable. I will add that having the ability to stream video would potentially bring more people into the hobby. Here's one from Daughty and Darryl.

Reactions: bryans

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
For YouTube videos, my wife, Deb, and I have been digging and watching videos from Darryl's house, aka Daryl Hall, so the ability to access videos is a really nice-to-have feature for us. I doubt many hard-core audiophiles care about this, but video can add a vibrant dimension to high-end sound and uncover live performances otherwise unavailable. I will add that having the ability to stream video would potentially bring more people into the hobby. Here's one from Daughty and Darryl.

I'm with you on both accounts. I LOVE "Live from Darryl's house" videos on YouTube. I agree with you on the hard-core audiophiles aspect but I'm not one of them. To me it would be awesome watching live performances and listening to them on a great system.

Reactions: gleeds

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Apologies to members if I am off-topic! Here's one more epic video from "Darryl's House" of "She's Gone" from 1973. Man has DH aged gracefully. Must be his passion for music that does it!!!

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Apologies to members if I am off-topic! Here's one more epic video from "Darryl's House" of "She's Gone" from 1973. Man has DH aged gracefully. Must be his passion for music that does it!!!

Wow!!!

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
The clock actually makes a difference, improvement in my system albeit I use the cybershaft rather than the aurender. That mc30spec wise just didn't make sense to me at, the price they were asking for

I too have the n30sa and the Taiko before. The aurender sounds better for me and after I modded the cables both in and out, it improved quite a bit for me

Reactions: Audire

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
The clock actually makes a difference, improvement in my system albeit I use the cybershaft rather than the aurender. That mc30spec wise just didn't make sense to me at, the price they were asking for

I too have the n30sa and the Taiko before. The aurender sounds better for me and after I modded the cables both in and out, it improved quite a bit for me
I also used a cyber shaft but it was on my esoteric. I sold my Taiko Extreme and I'm using a N30 now , curious what cables did you upgrade to ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing