Anyone Listen to the Taiko Extreme Server and Go With Something Else? Anyone Make a Change from Taiko?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Apologies to members if I am off-topic! Here's one more epic video from "Darryl's House" of "She's Gone" from 1973. Man has DH aged gracefully. Must be his passion for music that does it!!!

No apologies needed. This is DH! :cool:

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I have no doubt that when one bites the bullet and purchases a top notch server like the Taiko, Aurender, Innuos, etc. it will be outstanding. For me the reason why I don't commit without doing a home trail is because I'm trying to find the one that fits my personal taste. How do I know which one I like best without trying it in my setup?

Congrats on your Taiko Extreme, I bet it is outstanding.
Hi Bryans,
It is, of course, all about the sound. For a front end source like a server or a transport, I would venture to say that an accurate, bit perfect signal is the most important thing. I am not sure that I want to buy a source based on sound, but rather design that allows the least interference with source fidelity. For this reason I bought the Taiko based on design and reviews. This has paid off. The Taiko Extreme has been fantastic. DACS, and the rest of the chain all have a big effect on the sound. These MUST be listened to in your home system. I am currently struggling to decide which DAC is better in my system. The MSB Select DAC has a bigger sound stage with better imaging, yet the Nagra HD DAC X has a richer and more natural tonal balance. My good audiophile buddy clearly likes the Nagra's tonality. To me they are equal but different. These differences become even larger with pre amps and amps.
Rob

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I am not sure that I want to buy a source based on sound, but rather design that allows the least interference with source fidelity
This is where we differ. For me it is all about the sound. I'm pretty simple, if it sounds good it is good.
I am currently struggling to decide which DAC is better in my system
Honestly I believe a lot of products are like this. It all comes down to personal taste. I'm sure if you go MSB, Nagra, or really any other great DAC, you will not make a bad decision.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have no doubt that the Extreme and others are outstanding servers. My issue has always been how does one really evaluate a product unless it is in your system? I have listened to many products at a dealer just to get it home and realize it isn't for me. At a dealer I think one can get a basic understanding of what the product does but how does the unit fit in your system? At these levels I'm sure nearly all of them are awesome. But how do you know which one is for you without a home demo?
You can audition in another system: the differences will be apparent in your own room, perhaps more in certain respects than in others.

I look at it the Extreme this way: it’s the best there is right now. Yes, it costs more, but it’s justified. It’s the Extreme and then everyone else. As such, there’s no real need to audition the Extreme. If you want to (and can) spend the money, you’re getting the state of the art.
I’m not aware of anyone selling theirs. Of course, there will be people who are forced to sell or choose to based on circumstances unrelated to its performance. But in nearly a year of following the Extreme thread here, I’ve never read that anyone sold it to “upgrade”… there’s nothing to upgrade to! (Other than perhaps the Wadax with its partner DAC, but that’s a lot more money, and it’s not clear it’s better).

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
You can audition in another system
Sorry but for me I need to audition the product in my setup. That is the only way I can truly tell what is best for me. Auditioning in another setup brings into play too many variables.

I look at it the Extreme this way: it’s the best there is right now.
There is nothing wrong with your belief. For me I can't make that assumption without listening to it. I don’t rely on reviews, etc. as everyone likes different things.

I’m not aware of anyone selling theirs. Of course, there will be people who are forced to sell or choose to based on circumstances unrelated to its performance.
??? I have seen a few for sale and I have no idea why they are selling. I don’t believe you will see many.

I believe the Extreme is a top notch server and if one buys one they will be very happy.

Reactions: Gjo and Pokey77

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I look at it the Extreme this way: it’s the best there is right now. Yes, it costs more, but it’s justified. It’s the Extreme and then everyone else. As such, there’s no real need to audition the Extreme. If you want to (and can) spend the money, you’re getting the state of the art.

I’ve never read that anyone sold it to “upgrade”… there’s nothing to upgrade to! (Other than perhaps the Wadax with its partner DAC, but that’s a lot more money, and it’s not clear it’s better).

Reactions: Zeotrope

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Call me a Taiko convert!

I reported earlier that I went with the Aurender N30SA. I did for a while and it sounded wonderful for app 2 years or so. However, I demoed the Extreme again just a while back. I’ve ordered both the Taiko Extreme and Switch. It will be replacing our N30SA.

Why? It’s all about the sound. Taiko is streaming on steroids.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Difficult to judge the Taiko, as it got and still gets better and better, astonishingly so.
Major leaps to be expected soon with software upgrade … for free.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I know many people love this server. God Bless! I hope you guys enjoy it until the end of time.

But is there anyone who owned this server and moved to another brand of server?

Anyone demo the Taiko server and go with another brand of server?
I had both N30 and the Taiko , I sold the Taiko because the N30 was easier to use software wise and bullet proof, at the time Taiko just started with XDMS and it was a hassle to me to make long story short . But I will admit when XDMS worked it was best I've ever heard I remembered that . Now I went back to the Taiko and Switch and it's jaw dropping. Taiko came along ways and I think it would be impossible to beat .

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Welcome back to the lair rau...we've been missing you. Stay tuned for the next version of XDMS which according to Emile creates a huge sonic up tick
I had both N30 and the Taiko , I sold the Taiko because the N30 was easier to use software wise and bullet proof, at the time Taiko just started with XDMS and it was a hassle to me to make long story short . But I will admit when XDMS worked it was best I've ever heard I remembered that . Now I went back to the Taiko and Switch and its jaw dropping. Taiko came along ways and I think it would be impossible to beat .

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
And Emile also says that, what the Switch + NIC did SQ uplift, the Router will do again. I cannot wait for them to ship!

Steve Williams

And Emile also says that, what the Switch + NIC did SQ uplift, the Router will do again. I cannot wait for them to ship!
Agreed. I thought Emile said that of all the sonic up ticks the upcoming XDMS-NSM ranks second with only the BPS as the best of the best

Reactions: Armsan and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Agreed. I thought Emile said that of all the sonic up ticks the upcoming XDMS-NSM ranks second with only the BPS as the best of the best

Any idea on the size and price of the BPS unit yet?

Steve Williams

I have no idea and I bet Emile doesn’t either. He’s been waiting on a boat to arrive before he would know availability. I am also wondering if final design has been decided. FWIW if youre interested it has been my goal for quite a while now to have a soft launch of the BPS at my house whenever Emile can find time You are more than welcome to attend. In fact I’m shocked how many inquiries I’ve had from all I’ve the world.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I have no idea and I bet Emile doesn’t either. He’s been waiting on a boat to arrive before he would know availability. I am also wondering if final design has been decided. FWIW if youre interested it has been my goal for quite a while now to have a soft launch of the BPS at my house whenever Emile can find time You are more than welcome to attend. In fact I’m shocked how many inquiries I’ve had from all I’ve the world.

Thanks for the invite Steve, but my doctor tells me I can’t fly. I’ll wait to hear all your reports from the soft launch. Again, thanks for the invite as I’d like to hear your system and meet many here ….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing