Apple, in rolling out OS 11, may be the beginning of the end for MQA

Can you explain us what is technically "upsampling in disguise"?
It is rarely if ever "upsampling in disguise". Whatever MQA's faults, that isn't one. If an original is 24/44.1, or 24/48, or 24/96, then the decoded MQA will be the same, with the same frequency spectral content as the original. With 24/192, it is somewhat less clear, but it still isn't "upsampling in disguise". IMHO, it is a "scam" only in the sense that it is unnecessary and proprietary, when it is likely that anything positive it brings to sound quality can and probably should be open-source.

It is rarely if ever "upsampling in disguise". Whatever MQA's faults, that isn't one. If an original is 24/44.1, or 24/48, or 24/96, then the decoded MQA will be the same, with the same frequency spectral content as the original. With 24/192, it is somewhat less clear, but it still isn't "upsampling in disguise". IMHO, it is a "scam" only in the sense that it is unnecessary and proprietary, when it is likely that anything positive it brings to sound quality can and probably should be open-source.

Incorrect-

"The very first step in MQA processing is to re-sample the original high-res file at a 96kHz sample rate. Therefore the maximum frequency that can be reproduced is 48kHz and everything above that on the final playback (after the first "unfolding") is simply non-music related aliasing artifacts. This is particularly true when the original file was a quad-rate (176 or 192kHz) or an octal-rate (352 or 384kHz). Upsampling can never restore the missing high frequencies (above 48kHz) and the "leaky" MQA filters create non-harmonically related ultrasonic noise in the general frequency range that the quad- and octal-rate files had (at least some) musically related information."

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...her-major-look-at-mqa-by-another-pro/?page=20

You don't get 24 real bits back. And anything over 96 Khz is done as an upsample in the final unfold in the DAC. That is why software
decoding is limited to 24/96.

I suggest you look at the posts of Soxr on this thread who has done and unvarnished analysis of the process.

Furthermore, Paul Miller confirmed much of this in HiFi News & Review with his measurements.

Of course not. But I still have a choice, and will always have a choice, as to whether I am acquiring an MQA file or not. I seriously doubt that Bob Stuart could gain control over all the distribution of digital music content!! He might have that as a lofty goal, but come on let's get serious.:D
Perhaps you should read the MQA business plan I linked a while back?

The demo discussed by Mr. DaveyF included only 16 bit/44.1 files. They were compared against 24/48 MQA files.

That is simply not true.
Again, you're spewing lies. It's getting old. I wish the moderation would do something, because having an opinion is fine, even being a jerk about it can be fine too, but flat out lying isn't.

That is simply not true.
Again, you're spewing lies. It's getting old. I wish the moderation would do something, because having an opinion is fine, even being a jerk about it can be fine too, but flat out lying isn't.

Alex, I may be incorrect in this...and I'm certainly willing to be incorrect, but I distinctly remember Peter stating that the files were converted to MQA from his original files, that were in the standard red book format. If this is not so, I do not recollect Peter stipulating any difference in the recording of each original file as to the sampling rate before he played back said file.

Perhaps you should read the MQA business plan I linked a while back?

Yes, having a plan and getting that very plan universally accepted and adopted are usually two very different things.
As I'm sure we both agree, Bob's desire is unlikely to occur, and as you know is already seeing setbacks.
A universal monopoly is not that easy to acquire, as many have tried and ultimately failed. Luckily, wise minds tend to prevail.

Here it is in black and white:

Note the wonderful part about "music production and supply chain services"

MQA.jpeg

That is simply not true.

Mr. DaveyF needs to qualify this. He is the source. Not me.

Ask why no native high resolution recordings, of which McGrath has many, were not used.

Peter often plays native hi res recordings that have been MQA encoded. Not sure where you are getting your information.

The demo discussed by Mr. DaveyF included only 16 bit/44.1 files. They were compared against 24/48 MQA files.

I hope you'll pardon me if I don't take your word for what was played. I'd have to ask Peter or Vince for the playlist details from that night. As I said before, Peter typically plays hi res files among others when he does demos.

MQA Truth,

What is your objective? Don't get me wrong, I like intellectual diversity, versus the superficial diversity we find valued in society by the elites (Hispanic, woman, black, asian, gay, etc.). I don't mind your posting at all, but what are you trying to achieve? Many record labels have already converted their files to be MQA ready, and they are being streamed as we speak. The war is over, and nothing personal, but you sound like Baghdad Bob.

Or is there something else you are after?

The war is over? Amusing. :cool:

Here is a little linky for you.

The April 2017 MQA Finanical Statement.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...HNx9cUoKzHwZyjslHGSoFC3UhzzslvcTA0kwonJH3zQU=

The cash burn rate is impressive..

Nice multi million pound loss....and the cash keeps on gushing out.

I hope you'll pardon me if I don't take your word for what was played. I'd have to ask Peter or Vince for the playlist details from that night. As I said before, Peter typically plays hi res files when he does demos.
Understood.

FYI 16/44.1 was what was reported by a member here who was in attendance, as noted above. I was not certainly not there.

I am not sure which Demo Davey was at

but:-

Written by Brent Butterworth Parent Category: Shows-Events Created: 03 June 2017

LAAS 2017: A Different Kind of MQA Demo
I’ve attended many demos of MQA, a technology that compresses high-resolution audio files down to the size of standard-resolution files, and claims to correct “time smearing” problems in the process. I found those demos unconvincing. Most played MQA files on their own without comparing them with the original files or with the uncompressed high-res files. I got one reasonably decent MQA demo at the 2016 T.H.E. Show Newport, but I heard nothing in the MQA-processed pop and rock recordings to convince me that MQA was a significant sonic advance.

So it was with a heavy heart that I agreed to attend yet another MQA demo, this time at the 2017 Los Angeles Audio Show. This demo featured stereo recordings made by Peter McGrath, an audio industry veteran who is currently director of sales for Wilson Audio. After an introduction by Bob Stuart, creator of MQA and best known as a cofounder of Meridian Audio, McGrath played several of his recordings in their original 24-bit/88.2kHz digital form, each file followed by the same file data-compressed and processed through MQA. The playback system was a pair of Wilson Audio Alexx speakers powered by a T+A PA 3100 HV integrated amplifier and fed signals from a Meridian Audio Ultra DAC --

This is consistent with Peter Mc owning a pacific microsonics Model 2....

The war is over? Amusing. :cool:

Here is a little linky for you.

The April 2017 MQA Finanical Statement.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...HNx9cUoKzHwZyjslHGSoFC3UhzzslvcTA0kwonJH3zQU=

The cash burn rate is impressive..

Nice multi million pound loss....and the cash keeps on gushing out.

I think you have to look at the parent companies strategies....which are long range investments
Clearly they are after closed system domination

converting thousands of files, costs money, plus what ever licensing arrangements

they will only get a return, later from the downloads

i think the worry, must be, how big is the market?, i imagine they have calculated this as large, to risk such an upfront capital investment to warrant the risks ?

Incorrect-

"The very first step in MQA processing is to re-sample the original high-res file at a 96kHz sample rate. Therefore the maximum frequency that can be reproduced is 48kHz and everything above that on the final playback (after the first "unfolding") is simply non-music related aliasing artifacts. This is particularly true when the original file was a quad-rate (176 or 192kHz) or an octal-rate (352 or 384kHz). Upsampling can never restore the missing high frequencies (above 48kHz) and the "leaky" MQA filters create non-harmonically related ultrasonic noise in the general frequency range that the quad- and octal-rate files had (at least some) musically related information."

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...her-major-look-at-mqa-by-another-pro/?page=20
(...)

Just to point that there is some disagreement with this comment in the CA thread and also with many other aspects in the MQA thread - difficult to learn anything from it or support claims from it.

But my basic question is still the same - MQA is essentially a double filter - one that encodes existing digital files, another that decodes them in the DAC. According to some people this double processing results in better subjective sound quality. Wouldn't it be possible to put all this process in the DAC? We read that people who carry the encoding using MQA software have been "trained" to do this job. What is this training?

Just to point that there is some disagreement with this comment in the CA thread and also with many other aspects in the MQA thread - difficult to learn anything from it or support claims from it.

But my basic question is still the same - MQA is essentially a double filter - one that encodes existing digital files, another that decodes them in the DAC. According to some people this double processing results in better subjective sound quality. Wouldn't it be possible to put all this process in the DAC? We read that people who carry the encoding using MQA software have been "trained" to do this job. What is this training?

Warner Music group has 7,670 high resolution albums. 3,900 are 24/44.1 for the Mastered for iTunes program. Until April MQA did the conversions. In April Warner completed training for the conversion process including imbedding keys in the files
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-laas#HdBeyEjyEb7mzhWk.99

As a potential investor/licensee you would have an issue with this? Seems pretty straightforward, almost boilerplate.

Was one of those signed NDA's violated to make this available or is it in the public domain?

In the United Kingdom, if a company receives tax assistance from the government, their documents are available
for all to view.

These are available as a matter of public record.

Mr. DaveyF needs to qualify this. He is the source. Not me.

So we've established you go around quoting people, while you really don't know if these people are right or wrong... But I thought earlier on you told us to "trust you", that you were always right... Guess not!

For all that claim MQA are all but lies, YOU are the one spewing the most lies around here, comprobably...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing