AppleTV X - I am playing with something new

Just got my unit. i am setting things up but I see that I can’t set up Chroma to be 4:4:4. What would cause that?

My processor is a Lyngdorf MP60 2.1.

Just got my unit. i am setting things up but I see that I can’t set up Chroma to be 4:4:4. What would cause that?

Nothing is in 4:4:4 so safe to ignore this. I need to remove that from the recommended settings :)

The important thing is 4KSDR if your on a Sony OLED.

Reactions: dminches

Hmmm.. Which display do you have ? That is a tad odd. Your processor should support 4:4:4. Not that any material is in 4:4:4.. The latest Sony OLEDs support 4:4:4.. Just copper wire hooking it all up right ? No little boxes or HDMI extenders ?

Again. Not that it matters, but its curious.

Hmmm.. Which display do you have ? That is a tad odd. Your processor should support 4:4:4. Not that any material is in 4:4:4.. The latest Sony OLEDs support 4:4:4.. Just copper wire hooking it all up right ? No little boxes or HDMI extenders ?

Again. Not that it matters, but its curious.

I have a Sony VW675ES projector. Only wires between the Apple TV X and Lyngdorf and Lyngdorf and projector.

I have a Sony VW675ES projector. Only wires between the Apple TV X and Lyngdorf and Lyngdorf and projector.

The spec sheets do not cover what color formats the proj supports. So this is most likely a projector "limitation".. But NOT one to care about as there is no 4:4:4 content. That is why it does not support it.

The brightness and contrast ratio make it a SDR display, just like a Sony 380, or any projector I know of. So for sure stick to 4K SDR.

Have fun.. With your surround processor and audio system, the sound will be really fun..

You will have 3 points of burn-in.. First is 24hrs. It will clearly be better.. Then about 2 weeks and then about 1 month.. Make sure to set "sleep > Never".. It should stay on 24/7...

The spec sheets do not cover what color formats the proj supports. So this is most likely a projector "limitation".. But NOT one to care about as there is no 4:4:4 content. That is why it does not support it.

The brightness and contrast ratio make it a SDR display, just like a Sony 380, or any projector I know of. So for sure stick to 4K SDR.

Have fun.. With your surround processor and audio system, the sound will be really fun..

You will have 3 points of burn-in.. First is 24hrs. It will clearly be better.. Then about 2 weeks and then about 1 month.. Make sure to set "sleep > Never".. It should stay on 24/7...

Thanks. I applied all the recommended settings.

Reactions: dminches
You're gonna love it!

I get calls from new users.. Its always fun.. Usally its the picture, and the sound gets noticed later. But many times sound is right at the top of the list. Its a lot of fun.

Then comes the days/weeks of exploring content like its all new again. Disney+ Starwars is fun. For a mind blowing adventure in picture, Monsters Inc. On OLED panels, with black setup correctly and settings all done right, Rise of the Guardians will define black as a color, hehe. Older films can be jaw dropping. Nearly everything on TCM that was technicolor. Older black and white is really awesome. Current series like Ripley on Netflix is amazing. Commercials can be amazing, hahahaha...

DirecTV Stream can be pretty stunning depending on channel. News channels can be impressive.

A lot of times I find myself looking at makeup and things like lipstick color. The sorta Pantone accuracy that goes on many times has me go "Wow, look at that shade of color"..

One thing I have noted.. I need to turn down color some. Not sure why. I should put that in recommended settings. On the Sony OLEDs for sure it needs to come down like 5-10 points to be accurate. Not sure on other displays.

Eventually most people who have a ATVX discover music. A lot of these owners have high end 2ch rigs and love music. So eventually they discover concerts on demand and even things like Youtube music stuff. Multichannel music can come off a local server and some people are doing that. Tidal works on ATVX and of course Apple music in Atmos - if that is your thing.

I recently discovered Sirrus/XM has a app and it was surprizingly ok. I spent 2 days listening to Yacht music.

You can screen share your apple laptop, ipad and phone. So looking at pics and stuff is great.

Using infuse and VLC to play stuff of a local server is fun.

Its just a fun platform. Most all clients spend weeks/months settling in and doing all sorts of stuff..

Reactions: Young Skywalker
And then the upgrades start... Power cords, ethernet cables, feet, mass loading, grounding, HDMI cables.. I have had people upgrade displays, surround processors, interconnects, even center channel...

This client made a cool isolated stand.. I know... I know.. We all want one.. He is considering it :) I wish i was handy like this with tools.

IMG_7477.jpeg

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

My previous, cheap, hmdi audio extractor did not pass HDR10 or 4:2:2, but Vanity pro does, so there was an improvement in the video. However, in my system, the Kaleidescape video is better.
I see the video improvement with a direct connection between my television and the Vanity Pro. I use the most current Apple Tv as my source. I believe the designer of the AppletvX didn't see any improvement by adding linear supplies to other devices. Do you have an Appletv? The other possibility is that my video switching is not as transparent as the direct connection. The AppletvX is a much more extensive modification by someone acutely aware of video quality.

My wife first confirmed what I was seeing. I had not said anything as I figured she would not be interested. As she was walking by, she paused to view the picture and remarked that the picture was great.

I had a Switch X Client call me and ask a technical question. He had the Switch X hooked directly to a Arris S33 modem and then to his audio gear. It was a mistake, he forgot here needed a router for the rest of the house. BUT his hook up was pretty hardcore and direct. Just the Switch X ( which does NAT so works like a router ) and his high end audio gear.

I got him straighen out getting his house router after the S33 and before the Switch X.

BUT.. He reported a drop in audio quality for his streaming.

Interesting...

Of course having a dedicated modem JUST for audio is expensive as it requires a 2nd account from the cable or fiber company. In fact Comcast wont do it at all in one house. But his experence got my attention because he described a clear difference in audio quality.

So here at my place I have AT&T fiber and I have Comcast. So I have a S33 modem AND I have a FTTH fiber modem. I feed my lab with the Fiber. In fact it hooks to my own Switch X and the Switch X feeds my computer and my ATVX..

So I just did a AB... I hooked my Switch X to the house network that is powered by Comcast and a $3000 Mikrotik router. Then moved back to a direct connection with just the fiber modem.. INDEED the pic/sound did improve !.. I just flipped back and forth with and without a router in-between and YEP direct is better.

SO... While its kinda crazy, a 2nd account and a modem dedicated to your audio / ATVX is a better way to go..

I found this interesting because its pretty much impossible to explain technically.

SO.. Watch what all is in-line in your network between the outside world and the ATVX apparently it DOES matter.
Hi Chris.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying it's preferable to use your switch X as a router, rather than as a switch?
So Arris S33 modem=>Switch X as router=>no switch.
Instead of Arris S33 modem=>a router=>switch X?

If yes, what about to use Aris S33 modem=>Switch X as router=>Switch X as switch?
I know it isn’t so directly as without a switch, but maybe there will be a synergy effect?
I have to put these
in my apple tv 4K, but I have problems to find a Wima PP 4.7uF, if it’s length should be < as 10mm, as in Your picture above.
Do You still use 4.7uF wima’s?

I see the video improvement with a direct connection between my television and the Vanity Pro. I use the most current Apple Tv as my source. I believe the designer of the AppletvX didn't see any improvement by adding linear supplies to other devices. Do you have an Appletv? The other possibility is that my video switching is not as transparent as the direct connection. The AppletvX is a much more extensive modification by someone acutely aware of video quality.

My wife first confirmed what I was seeing. I had not said anything as I figured she would not be interested. As she was walking by, she paused to view the picture and remarked that the picture was great.
I have an Appletv X.

A quick few notes. I will come back later this evening and reply to the other posts.

The Apple event did not discuss a new ATV.

There was a announcement a while back about Netflix discontinued support for the 3rd gen ATV. This refers to a ATV from 10+ years ago and was barely HD. This is pretty good support going back 10 years :).. So we may well get 7+ more years out of the A2169 which the ATVX is based on :)

TVOS 18.0 has some significant improvements coming that apply to the ATVX. I am a Apple Developer and I am running TVOS 18.0 now on 2 ATVXs. So far so good. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, A beta could brick a ATV and I can't bring it back and there is no way to back up in firmware. So Betas should never be used unless there is a need that outweighs the risk. I will test 18 and by the time its out of beta I will post a all clear.

I sent off a bunch of Switch Xs to reviewers today. One has had a ATVX for nearly 2 years and he will try out the Switch X with the ATVX. Formal reviews tho take time to publication.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
A quick few notes. I will come back later this evening and reply to the other posts.

The Apple event did not discuss a new ATV.

There was a announcement a while back about Netflix discontinued support for the 3rd gen ATV. This refers to a ATV from 10+ years ago and was barely HD. This is pretty good support going back 10 years :).. So we may well get 7+ more years out of the A2169 which the ATVX is based on :)

TVOS 18.0 has some significant improvements coming that apply to the ATVX. I am a Apple Developer and I am running TVOS 18.0 now on 2 ATVXs. So far so good. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, A beta could brick a ATV and I can't bring it back and there is no way to back up in firmware. So Betas should never be used unless there is a need that outweighs the risk. I will test 18 and by the time its out of beta I will post a all clear.

I sent off a bunch of Switch Xs to reviewers today. One has had a ATVX for nearly 2 years and he will try out the Switch X with the ATVX. Formal reviews tho take time to publication.
SwitchX for ALL!! :)

While I am happy with my SwitchX, we are downsizing and my 2-channel rig (see my signature) , which includes the switch, has gotta go.

So, if you've been thinking about getting a SwitchX (with WiFi-X), DM me and maybe we can help each other out. I'll be posting it for sale sometime this week. Thanks.

ChrisG

SwitchX for ALL!! :)
Yes... Might cause back log.

I have a config now that supports AES67/Dante/Ravenna for single switch deployments. So even more capable then the others out there. Gets a bit warm, but you can pull 16 channels of DSD256 on the Merging MassCore and Merging HAPI mk2. The switch X has landed in some studios. Post clients like the Dante support.

Its based on the swiss army knife of the network world Mikrotik RouterOS. So I think it can do any protocol. Its also flexible to be a switch ( bridge ) AND router and do it port by port if needed. https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/RouterOS

I often get questions and people try and compare features/functions to a consumer router/switch. RouterOS is a whole different planet.

For example.. Some screen shots of the interface. You can see EVERYTHING on the network. Drill down to packets. Its so complete its amazing.. Just quick examples of a few of the zillions of windows and tabs... The configuration options are incredibly fine grained.

Plus they are adding new stuff nearly weekly..

1.png

2.png3.png

• Wow
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
While I am happy with my SwitchX, we are downsizing and my 2-channel rig (see my signature) , which includes the switch, has gotta go.

So, if you've been thinking about getting a SwitchX (with WiFi-X), DM me and maybe we can help each other out. I'll be posting it for sale sometime this week. Thanks.

ChrisG

Awww, sad your rig has to go :( ... BUT.. Oh wow.. COOL !! Someone can get a DEAL.. If your going to buy it, make sure to read the pre sales stuff on it so you know if you can deploy it.

Reactions: 7ryder
Hi Chris.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying it's preferable to use your switch X as a router, rather than as a switch?
So Arris S33 modem=>Switch X as router=>no switch.
Instead of Arris S33 modem=>a router=>switch X?

If yes, what about to use Aris S33 modem=>Switch X as router=>Switch X as switch?
I know it isn’t so directly as without a switch, but maybe there will be a synergy effect?
I have to put these
in my apple tv 4K, but I have problems to find a Wima PP 4.7uF, if it’s length should be < as 10mm, as in Your picture above.
Do You still use 4.7uF wima’s?

The very best way to do audio streaming from clients who have done it and reported back, even doing some A/B, is to use a dedicated S33 modem hooked directly to the Switch X on its WAN side and then plug the audio devices like a server into the clean side along with a Wifi X hooked to a iPad with nearly every app removed. So far this is the best way for audio streaming. This is a huge issue tho as you can only have 1 device hooked to the S33 for residential cable accounts. So you would need a second residential account and a 2nd S33 to supply the rest of the house. So this is a expensive solution as you would need a second cable account and its REALLY hard to make some cable companies give this to you even if you want to pay. Xfinity/Comcast is a hella battle. Cox is no issue.

Technical reading alert !

In networking a "switch" is actually a bridged set of ports on the device. On the Switch X there are 2 bridges. 2 switches. A "dirty" side and a clean side. The switch X essentially has 2 configurable switches. Each port can be moved to either bridge. So there could be 1 dirty port and 7 clean ports on the clean bridge. Or any arrangement you need.

The "router" "input" is connected to the dirty bridge. On a normal router you have 1 port and that is the WAN port where you hook the modem. On the switch X the WAN of the router is connected to the dirty bridge. So any port on that bridge can be hooked to the modem and will work as the WAN... The "output" of the router is connected to the clean bridge. So its like the output of the router is connected to a switch with any number of ports you need.

So the Switch X is both a switch and a "router" and you can configure it as needed.

In fact the studio people do not hook up the Switch X to the outside world at all. It can also act as a switch with lots of additional features like DHCP and UPnP and a list of advanced switch features. Layer 3 or even layer 4 features.

If your just playing music off a server and require no internet access for anything, then the Switch X alone without a connection to the outside world is best and it can handle all the network stuff like managing IPs and such..

Normally what most people are doing is they have a existing home network. Leave all that in place and then simply hook the Switch X to that network. It will then setup a 2nd "clean" network by doing NAT which will isolate it from your network traffic. Its easy to use, but it isolates gear plugged into the clean side, be design.

Using a Switch X with a AppleTV X is easier. Hook your network to the WAN dirty side. Plug the ATVX into the clean side. Use the ATV remote. This is great, UNLESS, you use a ipad ot iphone to control the ATVX. Your ipad and iphone are on your house wifi and cannot connect to the ATVX on the clean side. So you would need a Wifi X on the clean side.

___

Remember the pics on my site show pics from when i was first doing mods. The cap network ended up being a lot more complex with electrolytics, WIMAs, MLCCs and tant. Along with pure silver wire. Each type of cap has its own merits. The bandwidth of current in this application is quite wise. The CPU rumbles ( thinks ) in the 2-10hz range when streaming. But the PWM regulators have a crazy wide band current spectra from 10khz-20Mhz. No one type of cap will cover that range. 2hz-20Mhz is a lot. So that was where each type, size, location of the caps come into play and where you gotta match the current spectra impeadance. Keep in mind the PWM regulators vary in spectra depending on load. But YES, doing what i show in the pics with a linear will make a big impact. 2 DIY guys did thier own downunder on the Audionet forum. So these WIMAs will fit. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/505-MKS210-50-20

I did some A/B using a TVos 17 VS the new 18... The pic was the same and so was the sound. So that was a relief.. I always worry they will screw something up.

I played with the new dialog enhance options. Bah.. But I will play more..

I am not sure who streams the newly touted aspect ratio 21:9. So I have not tested that yet.

The new screen savers are cool.

Overall tho, this is a pretty ho-hum release.. But it does seem to work and nothing seems broken..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing