AppleTV X - I am playing with something new

Well I think its official..

Apple is not going to make any new AppleTVs. Today was the 3rd event that did not announce anything AppleTV related. The last one they released was a dramatic cost/quality reduction with no new important features.
The market for stand alone streamers for AV use has nearly vanished from the mass market. TVs/phones come with streaming apps and AppleTV+. The only people buying these devices now are people like us, high end AV guys with serious dedicated systems. So I think its pretty official now, Apple has left this market. On top of this, the A2169 AppleTV has everything needed already 4K/HDR/DV/Atmos/21:9, they can just update firmware. The new TVos 18 is awesome and has lots of new features. Because of the quality of the A2169 and all the mods I do, I think the ATVX is now the best AV streamer. Its also Apple, so unlike any other streaming device, it is the only streamer with Apple quality and its really feature rich VS all other streaming platforms.

When I started making these I knew Apple was gonna leave the market and that the A2169 was going to be the best unit and eventually sought after once production stopped. Much like a Oppo BluRay player. The ATVX is the best way to stream AV and as Apple is never going to make another stand alone ATV. I have shipped close to 400 ATVX systems so far. So far, every client LOVED it and now can't live without it.

As I expected. The 'new in box factory sealed' base units I start with are now nearly gone. They have also been getting much more expensive. Its now clear that brand new units are going to become impossible to find. I have always planned to transistion to buying used units and doing refurb, mods and a new warranty. Much like how things work buying a Oppo.

My reason to post is that if you want a brand new fact sealed unit, now is the time to get a order in. Contact me or my distributor. https://dejitterit.com/

I will continue to do fact new units as long as I can, but, buying them could become expensive which would raise the price of a ATVX. Refurbished units will always be available forever, but, they will have some scuffs and not perfect. Again I will warranty them tho. Regretfully they wont be less expensive, its actually more labor as I need to clean them up and do a bunch of testing and refurb.

So soon I wont have brand new ATVs. Its now or never. hehehehe.. I have had a lot of people ask me to let them know when new ones were getting scarce, they are getting scarce.

TVos 18 is out. If you have a ATVX, update your firmware. It brings a better pic + lots of new features. I have been running the Developer Beta for months. Its a great upgrade. It also brings tons of features no other streaming platform has. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024...ate-entertainment-and-bring-more-convenience/

Chris, there will be a 4th Gen AppleTV in 2025. Apple is NOT going to leave this market.

What's your source for this? Nothing I have read from the usual reports is definitive, just speculation.

Chris, there will be a 4th Gen AppleTV in 2025. Apple is NOT going to leave this market.
Why ?

There is no market. TVs come with all the apps that include AppleTV+. Mobile devices all have all the apps.

What would it have new ? AI ? hahaha.. Over hype.. 8K ? NO streaming service will do that. Well, even if they did they would not double the bitrate as that is the big cost for them and it would not draw significant users to justify it.

The only market left are people with dedicated systems that have a surround processor.

Even if they did come out with a new one, they are not going to make it MORE expensive then the 3rd gen 4k - which is terrible for our use.

They will of course stop making the CPU chip, like they do every year. So they may indeed need to replace the cheap 3rd gen they have now, with a cheaper one. ALl the focus in rumors have been on a lower price ( quality )..

I just dont see it..

What's your source for this? Nothing I have read from the usual reports is definitive, just speculation.
You are right--just all the usual Apple rumor sites. But I don't think Apply is ready to abandon the living room market. They have plans to do more in it--whether we want them to or not. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu