Aqua Formula - new upgrade, retrofittable!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Larry, out of interest do you use rca or xlr output?

Recommend SR Blue fuse, as others have done also, and it is located inside that little green box on pcb next to iec inlet internally. You should achieve similar gains to the new analogue board.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018

Recommend SR Blue fuse, as others have done also, and it is located inside that little green box on pcb next to iec inlet internally. You should achieve similar gains to the new analogue board.

I’m using the RCA outputs, as I did before. My preamp only has balanced for the output to the amp, inputs are mainly RCAs.

I’ll listen for a while and then upgrade the fuse. Thanks for pointing out where the fuse is located.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks for clarifying Larry. My reason for asking is that Aqua upgraded the transformers which convert RCA to XLR output, so it seems that the other aspects changed have been pretty worthwhile in their own right.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks for clarifying Larry. My reason for asking is that Aqua upgraded the transformers which convert RCA to XLR output, so it seems that the other aspects changed have been pretty worthwhile in their own right.

Hi, do you happen to know the fuse size 5 X 20mm? in the xHD? ???amperage?....thx

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Sorry I don’t know Bob (and this will also vary according to regional voltage) but would recommend taking a value @30% larger than fitted as the SR fuses can blow quicker than generic ones with start up surge.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Sorry I don’t know Bob (and this will also vary according to regional voltage) but would recommend taking a value @30% larger than fitted as the SR fuses can blow quicker than generic ones with start up surge.

Thank you!

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi, do you happen to know the fuse size 5 X 20mm? in the xHD? ???amperage?....thx
Hi Bob, I used this one.

SYNERGISTIC RESEARCH QUANTUM BLUE 20MM FUSE | T1.6A | INTERNAL FUSE

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob, I used this one.

SYNERGISTIC RESEARCH QUANTUM BLUE 20MM FUSE | T1.6A | INTERNAL FUSE

Thank you, appreciate it!

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That’s for 230v, so perhaps a 3a for 115v

It is actually strange because I just opened up my xHD and it has a T1H fuse. Usually the 110V version would be higher, so not sure. I am going to replace my stock 1 amp with a Beeswax 1 amp and see how it works.

I did confirm with AQ/Christian that the 1amp fuse was the corret value for the US version.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018

Ah, yes, I see the little green box.

Attachments

• GreenBox.jpg
    GreenBox.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 19

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
It is actually strange because I just opened up my xHD and it has a T1H fuse. Usually the 110V version would be higher, so not sure. I am going to replace my stock 1 amp with a Beeswax 1 amp and see how it works.

I did confirm with AQ/Christian that the 1amp fuse was the corret value for the US version.

As a former beekeeper, that's one use of beeswax I never dreamt of! Beeswax burns like the dickens if ever ignited, wax fires are incredibly difficult to extinguish. A few decades ago, one beeswax supplier lost their entire warehouse due to a wax fire. Is there a real sonic benefit to beeswax over the standard liquid? What is the common fluid used in fuses?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Larry, reach out to Blue58. Barry has good experience of the Beeswax fuse, moved to the SR Blue.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Just want to give an appreication hand clap to Crisitan at Aqua Formula in Italy for the AQ very attentive customer service. I had an issue with a broken bnc connector on my xHD. Within about 3 days from when I first asked Cristian about it I had a new board Fedex'd that I recevied today. That's 3 days from mention to AQ in Italy until the new board arrived in NYC.

Special customer service- thank you AQ!!!

Reactions: LarryK

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Did you notice any substancial change on the bass with the new board?
Is it like we have a week bass and it gets more real with the new board?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Did you notice any substancial change on the bass with the new board?
Is it like we have a week bass and it gets more real with the new board?

I never thought the DAC had weak bass. There is so much to bass reproduction, starting with the speakers and speaker placement and whether or not you run a sub.

Can you suggest a track that you think the DAC has disappointed you in terms of bass performance? I’ll listen to it and give you my impressions.

Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Larry, thank you for your answer.
Acctually is my system that is under suspicion.
A friend came at home and he thinks the system has weak bass. I am trying to figure out if it’s my system with weak bass and his with correct bass, or my system with controled bass and his system with uncontroled bass.
So I am investigating all parts of my system to try to understand it better.
Someone told a few posts up on this discussion that the bass was deeper and better with the new analog board. So that is why I asked.
I am still waiting for the new board.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If this helps, I've heard the Formula XHD at Blue58 early on when it was installed, and a few months later as it opened up. I'm also due to hear it once the new board installed.

FWIW, the bass is the area that I noticed most as changing over 2-3 visits covering several months. Last time I heard it, it was way more convincing in the low end.

Stay in there.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
If you want to try a song, please try Cecille McLorin Salvant on What’s the Matter Now.
The drums on the very start in my system is controled and ok for me. On my friend’s system I heard this music the first time and it shocked me unexpectedly

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
If this helps, I've heard the Formula XHD at Blue58 early on when it was installed, and a few months later as it opened up. I'm also due to hear it once the new board installed.

FWIW, the bass is the area that I noticed most as changing over 2-3 visits covering several months. Last time I heard it, it was way more convincing in the low end.

Stay in there.
Thank you, spirit.
My dac has now more than 1000 h of play. I don’t have the XHD upgrade.
Waiting for the analog board.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing