Are there more differences than similarities between CH Precision and other top Swiss brands?

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
RdW, thanks for considering our A1.5. I've not set-up a TAD CR-1with our equipment so I don't have a specific recommendation for you to try with respect to Global/Local negative feedback adjustment. In general, start with 0%. Then play a few cuts that have a good bass line in them. Adjust the percentage up from 0% to 10% to 20% listening for the bass to "tighten" while also listening to the "openness" of the mids and highs. At a certain point bass and mid/highs will sound just right to your liking. That's the setting. Remember, when you connect your CH Precision equipment to your network via an ethernet cable and control them with our free control app, you can change the % quite easily. Your dealer will also help you with this.

I've always said that our components in a system together is greater than the sum of the parts. I said this even BEFORE working for CH Precision. The interface between our amps and pre-amps is optimized (especially in our 10-Series) and in my experience sound best together. The Soulution 520 pre is a fine product to be sure. If you can, you should try an L1 or L1/X1 and see what you think. Whatever you decide, thanks again for considering CH Precision in your listening room.

Hello Ralph, just wondering if you have ever tried the 50 ohm BNC connection to connect the L1 to any of the CHP amps and if so, how does that connection compare with RCA or XLR? I notice that Dartzeel recommend using their 50 ohm connection. Many thanks.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hello Ralph, just wondering if you have ever tried the 50 ohm BNC connection to connect the L1 to any of the CHP amps and if so, how does that connection compare with RCA or XLR? I notice that Dartzeel recommend using their 50 ohm connection. Many thanks.
Hi. Yes, I’ve tried all three connections with an all CH Precision system. No doubt that XLR sounds best to me and that is what I expected given our design. However, the other outputs are available on the L1 for those who utilize our components with others. If connecting our L1 to a Dartzeel amp, I would try the 50 ohm BNC and see which sounds best.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi. Yes, I’ve tried all three connections with an all CH Precision system. No doubt that XLR sounds best to me and that is what I expected given our design. However, the other outputs are available on the L1 for those who utilize our components with others. If connecting our L1 to a Dartzeel amp, I would try the 50 ohm BNC and see which sounds best.
Wonderful, many thanks for the feedback Ralph.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
RdW, thanks for considering our A1.5. I've not set-up a TAD CR-1with our equipment so I don't have a specific recommendation for you to try with respect to Global/Local negative feedback adjustment. In general, start with 0%. Then play a few cuts that have a good bass line in them. Adjust the percentage up from 0% to 10% to 20% listening for the bass to "tighten" while also listening to the "openness" of the mids and highs. At a certain point bass and mid/highs will sound just right to your liking. That's the setting. Remember, when you connect your CH Precision equipment to your network via an ethernet cable and control them with our free control app, you can change the % quite easily. Your dealer will also help you with this.

I've always said that our components in a system together is greater than the sum of the parts. I said this even BEFORE working for CH Precision. The interface between our amps and pre-amps is optimized (especially in our 10-Series) and in my experience sound best together. The Soulution 520 pre is a fine product to be sure. If you can, you should try an L1 or L1/X1 and see what you think. Whatever you decide, thanks again for considering CH Precision in your listening room.
Thanks Ralph, appreciate the feedback. Very helpful. I am indeed using the app and this is a real value added.

So I guess I might have a Soulution 520 from 2018 for sale :) Anybody in the EU interested?

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands

I did it! Ordered my CH Precision A1.5. Fantastic amp.
Now considering the L1 as well. Exchanging my Soulution 520 with the L1 is not a small difference. I guess need to work on / learn how to the set-up of the A1.5 / L1 parameters to get the best out of my TAD CR1. Also need to re-position the speakers I guess.
Work to be done ....

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I did it! Ordered my CH Precision A1.5. Fantastic amp.
Now considering the L1 as well. Exchanging my Soulution 520 with the L1 is not a small difference. I guess need to work on / learn how to the set-up of the A1.5 / L1 parameters to get the best out of my TAD CR1. Also need to re-position the speakers I guess.
Work to be done ....
Congrats!

What differences do you hear between the L1 and your Soulution 520?

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Congrats!

Thanks!

To you question, I’m not a reviewer and miss definitely the vocabulary to express the difference:). I also do not have a Soulution amp here, so not a full Soulution against a full CH Precision set to compare.
But I can say that I hear in the CH-P combo a precise reflection and separation of instruments with air around it. A good frequency distribution from low to high; A defined and well articulated bass and no “harsh” sound in the higher frequencies. But than again, need to work on the setup for the sound stage. It can only become better ;)

Hope this makes sense....

By the way, would anyone have recommendation on the A1.5 / L1 setting to drive my 86 dB TAD CR-1’s. I am leaning toward + 6 dB or so on the A1.5 with 0-10% Global feedback. And -3 dB on the L1.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It does make sense, thank you!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Thanks!

To you question, I’m not a reviewer and miss definitely the vocabulary to express the difference:). I also do not have a Soulution amp here, so not a full Soulution against a full CH Precision set to compare.
But I can say that I hear in the CH-P combo a precise reflection and separation of instruments with air around it. A good frequency distribution from low to high; A defined and well articulated bass and no “harsh” sound in the higher frequencies. But than again, need to work on the setup for the sound stage. It can only become better ;)

Hope this makes sense....

By the way, would anyone have recommendation on the A1.5 / L1 setting to drive my 86 dB TAD CR-1’s. I am leaning toward + 6 dB or so on the A1.5 with 0-10% Global feedback. And -3 dB on the L1.
RdW, congratulations on the purchase of your L1 and A1.5 !!

A few suggestions on the settings question with your TAD CR-1s. 0 or 10% global feedback seems reasonable to me although as I said before I don’t have first hand experience with TAD CR-1s. With respect to gain: +3 db to +6db on the A1.5 seems to make sense to me for an 86db efficient speaker. I would choose +3db on A1.5 and 0 db on the L1. Here’s why; each input on the L1 allows one to adjust so that the loudness or volume level across multiple sources is consistent. This setting on the L1 inputs acts as an offset to the current volume level so it’s affect is equal to adjusting the volume control up or down when that input is selected. For example, if you are listening at -25db on the volume control of the L1 and your phono seems lower in volume than your DAC, you could set the DAC input to -N db to equal out the relative volume levels so that you don’t have to manually adjust when you switch inputs. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new CH Precision system. We hope it brings you countless hours of musical enjoyment.

boweiww

Mar 4, 2021
Congrats!

I recently compared soulution 525 with l1 +x1 in my home. Soulution did good jobs on soundstage and bass. But l1+x1 is extremely transparent and smooth, with perfect musical.
Personally, I will choose ch preamp and soulution amp in my system.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I recently compared soulution 525 with l1 +x1 in my home. Soulution did good jobs on soundstage and bass. But l1+x1 is extremely transparent and smooth, with perfect musical.
What's the L1 output impedance? Soulution amps have very low input impedance. To drive them properly, their preamps have very low, 2 / 10 Ohms output impedances.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
RdW, congratulations on the purchase of your L1 and A1.5 !!

A few suggestions on the settings question with your TAD CR-1s. 0 or 10% global feedback seems reasonable to me although as I said before I don’t have first hand experience with TAD CR-1s. With respect to gain: +3 db to +6db on the A1.5 seems to make sense to me for an 86db efficient speaker. I would choose +3db on A1.5 and 0 db on the L1. Here’s why; each input on the L1 allows one to adjust so that the loudness or volume level across multiple sources is consistent. This setting on the L1 inputs acts as an offset to the current volume level so it’s affect is equal to adjusting the volume control up or down when that input is selected. For example, if you are listening at -25db on the volume control of the L1 and your phono seems lower in volume than your DAC, you could set the DAC input to -N db to equal out the relative volume levels so that you don’t have to manually adjust when you switch inputs. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new CH Precision system. We hope it brings you countless hours of musical enjoyment.
Hi Ralph,

thank you for your kind mail and advise! I’m settling for the moment for 10% global feedback and +5db gain. The 10% gives me a bit more grip and the 5db gives me the most transparent and articulated bass response. But that might change when I have reached the 150 hours of burning in. But this is with my Soulution 520….
To the L1, I have not yet purchased it… My 520 does not do such a bad job after all. I will have the weekend again to compare both and will decide, I think :rolleyes:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Increasing the gain can change the bass response?

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I just responded to rsorren1. It might well be possible that I end up the other way around: the 520 with the A1.5. Let’s see.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Oh, oops, probably again my hifi English vocabulary. Maybe I should say transparency and articulation... What I want to say the most real live representation.
No worries! I haven't experimented all that much with the gain setting and assumed it would change the volume and nothing else so it's helpful to know. Thank you.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
In case anyone interested. CH M10 power amps do not have positive gain. They only allow user to lower the gain. And the max gain is 24dB. This is what my dealer sent to me after he asks Florian why there is no positive gain in M10.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.PNG
    IMG_1007.PNG
    825.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Hi Ralph,

thank you for your kind mail and advise! I’m settling for the moment for 10% global feedback and +5db gain. The 10% gives me a bit more grip and the 5db gives me the most transparent and articulated bass response. But that might change when I have reached the 150 hours of burning in. But this is with my Soulution 520….
To the L1, I have not yet purchased it… My 520 does not do such a bad job after all. I will have the weekend again to compare both and will decide, I think :rolleyes:
Hi RdW, please do let us know your impressions with Soulution 520 and CH L1 in your system. May we know what type(s) of music you mostly listen to? Thanks in advance!

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Hi RdW, please do let us know your impressions with Soulution 520 and CH L1 in your system. May we know what type(s) of music you mostly listen to? Thanks in advance!
Hi zbub, the CH1.5 has reached it’s 150 hours and omg, I am a very happy camper. The 520 will stays in the system! After having re-tuned the set-up, and changed my interconnect to Schnerzinger, I honestly didn’t really auditioned the L1 anymore. It was that good in this set-up. Maybe I will try again in a year or so an who knows, will be blown away by it. But hé, this is how we keep our hobby alive…

I am listening to a variety of music, now listening to Arild Andersen, but can easily go from Beethoven or Shostakovic to Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Chick Corea or Antonio Forcione to Death Can Dance or Pink Floyd.

Reactions: knghifi

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I still have my 520. With a limited budget, I got an opportunity to move to a 525 for a reasonable price. Point is, there is little to no info or reviews to verify if this really is a good idea, except that people are debating if this is a class-D preamp because of it switched power supply. Cyril says not; it is a class-A so I believe him

The 520 however is still in the TAS '21 buyers guide reviewed back in 2013 by JV. And I do love it as I said earlier. Any views?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing