Are you an audiophile or a music lover?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
As we begin a new year (Happy 2024, WBF!), it might be an opportune moment to refresh ourselves and ask ourselves some really important and basic questions. Think of this as a New Year’s resolution for WBF members.

So, the question is: are you an audiophile or a music lover? Perhaps a bit of both (or as we mathematically inclined geeks would put, you are a “convex combination” of attributes that define an audiophile or a music lover). So, what defines an audiophile? What defines a music lover? Are these fundamentally incompatible? Perhaps not, judging from the many hundreds of posts on WBF, people really dig music, but they also love to horse trade with their equipment, seeking to extract every nuance of music from their grooves, tapes, and streaming bits. So, let’s define these terms.

An audiophile is someone who:

1. Spends far more on his/her system than on their music collection.
2. Spends far more time listening to their system than listening to live music.
3. Spends far more time listening to other people playing music than creating music themselves (like playing a piano).
4. Thinks that increasing the bit rate or depth of a digital recording improves its sound.
5. Thinks that stereo or multichannel audio is fundamentally better than mono.
6. Thinks that recordings made in the digital era, or on DSD, or DXD, are fundamentally better than recordings made 60-70 years ago.
7 Doesn’t listen to any music recorded before 1960.
8. Only listens to music sitting in his/her listening room centered between the speakers.
9. Cares about obscure audiophile terms like soundstage, depth, height, transparency, blah blah.
10. Wants to hear the subway trains roll under Kingsway Hall on their favorite recordings (Harry Pearson, hope you can hear me still!).

OK, with that out of the way, let’s turn to a music lover. A music lover is someone who:
1. Is perfectly happy listening to a boombox or an FM radio station or gasp, even shortwave radio (as I did many decades ago as an undergrad!).
2. Has no clue whether a recording is in mono or stereo, or whether it is recorded as an MP3 or DSD 512.
3. Goes regularly to live performances (opera, symphonies, chamber, jazz, popular music, folk, country, …).
4. Can‘t for a moment sit still in a chair listening to music, but must bounce around in the groove, digging the music.
5. Cares two hoots about soundstage, transparency, height blah blah.
6. Has their dealer set up their system, and never touches it again!
7. Tends to hang on to their equipment for 50+ years, only replacing it when it absolutely fails and even then grudgingly.
8, Actually can read music scores, and tends to get bogged down in the minutiae of whether the composer wrote something in C minor or C major.
9. Argues vociferously whether the best conductor was Toscanini or the best singer was Caruso, both of whom recorded their albums in mono on 78 rpm discs.
10. Has no clue at all what high end audio is, until they accidentally hear a high end system, and then WOW!

OK, WBF. What are you? An audiophile or a music lover?

Reactions: Lee and Sunra

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Given your criteria listed? I am neither.

Tom

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
One of them sounds virtuous and the other sounds obsessive. I wonder which one the OP is?

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I've run across this question many times on forums and in real life. We have an audio club here in Dallas and it never fails that this topic ends up under discussion several times a year whenever we meet up.

I think it is highly disingenuous to say you are purely a music lover and have the equipment we have.

And then I don't think being an audiophile is necessarily a bad thing - although it seems during conversation, everyone seems to shy away from being labeled one because of the negative connotation it might hold.

For me, and just my opinion, I think I'm an audiophile because I love to reproduce music as enjoyable as it can be. That's what makes me pursue the hobby.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Most of the people I know are more likely to consider themselves music lovers if they have an interest at all. Being an audiophile is a niche that after having spent 5 decades of investing huge amounts of time and cash I relate deeply to but I don’t see it as as the sum total of my interest at all. I’m fundamentally a music first listener but then thats just nothing other than one set or mix of priorities. I relate completely to people who put sound quality above all else including at times putting it above the choice of music itself. We’re all here just trying to enjoy ourselves surely. I don’t relate to the Ops lists at all, they pretty much suck and I don’t believe too many of us will see ourselves in them or that we should pigeonhole ourselves at all in this as Nemal observed. We are a dynamic mix of needs and desires, a complex and fairly driven bunch. I love this pursuit and I love music even a bit more… but all is good in the end as long as it is what we are really about. Otherwise why would we do it all… it’s a form of delicious madness.

Reactions: Pokey77 and PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have my system to play music on. I attend concerts and/or festivals as and when practical to do so.
I will play vinyl records, CD/SACD’s and even downloads from my iPad whilst at work. No real desire to pigeonhole myself in any way.

Perfect answer.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Most of the people I know are more likely to consider themselves music lovers if they have an interest at all. Being an audiophile is a niche that after having spent 5 decades of investing huge amounts of time and cash I relate deeply to but I don’t see it as as the sum total of my interest at all. I’m fundamentally a music first listener but then thats just nothing other than one set or mix of priorities. I relate completely to people who put sound quality above all else including at times putting it above the choice of music itself. We’re all here just trying to enjoy ourselves surely. I don’t relate to the Ops lists at all, they pretty much suck and I don’t believe too many of us will see ourselves in them or that we should pigeonhole ourselves at all in this as Nemal observed. We are a dynamic mix of needs and desires, a complex and fairly driven bunch. I love this pursuit and I love music even a bit more… but all is good in the end as long as it is what we are really about. Otherwise why would we do it all… it’s a form of delicious madness.

Well said.

Ii is unclear to me what the OP wanted to achieve with those "provocative" lists.

Reactions: Pacha

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
As we begin a new year (Happy 2024, WBF!), it might be an opportune moment to refresh ourselves and ask ourselves some really important and basic questions. Think of this as a New Year’s resolution for WBF members.

So, the question is: are you an audiophile or a music lover? Perhaps a bit of both (or as we mathematically inclined geeks would put, you are a “convex combination” of attributes that define an audiophile or a music lover). So, what defines an audiophile? What defines a music lover? Are these fundamentally incompatible? Perhaps not, judging from the many hundreds of posts on WBF, people really dig music, but they also love to horse trade with their equipment, seeking to extract every nuance of music from their grooves, tapes, and streaming bits. So, let’s define these terms.

3. Spends far more time listening to other people playing music than creating music themselves (like playing a piano).
4. Thinks that increasing the bit rate or depth of a digital recording improves its sound.
6. Thinks that recordings made in the digital era, or on DSD, or DXD, are fundamentally better than recordings made 60-70 years ago.
8. Only listens to music sitting in his/her listening room centered between the speakers.
9. Cares about obscure audiophile terms like soundstage, depth, height, transparency, blah blah.
10. Wants to hear the subway trains roll under Kingsway Hall on their favorite recordings (Harry Pearson, hope you can hear me still!).

OK, with that out of the way, let’s turn to a music lover. A music lover is someone who:
1. Is perfectly happy listening to a boombox or an FM radio station or gasp, even shortwave radio (as I did many decades ago as an undergrad!).
2. Has no clue whether a recording is in mono or stereo, or whether it is recorded as an MP3 or DSD 512.
3. Goes regularly to live performances (opera, symphonies, chamber, jazz, popular music, folk, country, …).
4. Can‘t for a moment sit still in a chair listening to music, but must bounce around in the groove, digging the music.
7. Tends to hang on to their equipment for 50+ years, only replacing it when it absolutely fails and even then grudgingly.
8, Actually can read music scores, and tends to get bogged down in the minutiae of whether the composer wrote something in C minor or C major.
9. Argues vociferously whether the best conductor was Toscanini or the best singer was Caruso, both of whom recorded their albums in mono on 78 rpm discs.
10. Has no clue at all what high end audio is, until they accidentally hear a high end system, and then WOW!

I am both - no question about it!! I love it all !
All depends on my mode at the time.

/ Jk

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
A complimentary mix between the two is where the beauty lies.

I generally do not enjoy the gear comparing experience that takes a large role in the audiophile experience. A vs B listening is an anti-music experience. It’s necessary in the pursuit of improving the system, but for me, I feel it as a chore.

I do enjoy the gear, the beauty of well designed technology, and getting to know the people behind their creations. I enjoy the tiny clicky-clicks when I turn on my pre amp and the rising glow of vacuum tubes.

The miracle of music drawfs all of this, but I enjoy it all.

Where I think the audiophile aspect can get weird is when the music becomes a mere vehicle for gear obsession. Though I’ve never been to a show, what I see from the YouTube postings seem to exemplify this weird end of the experience. Room after room of shiny gear pumping out banal “audiophile music.” From what I can tell, there seem to be a very few exceptions to this like High Water, Devore, Gestalt, Bending Wave, Stereo11…. I’m sure there are a few others

Last edited:

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017

In my case 5 to 1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Based on the OP, I am 3 to 1. I could not find much on either list that describe the way I think about this stuff.

We invited some friends over last night for dinner. We made drinks at the bar and then went into the living room to talk and listen to some music. None of the guests knows anything about high end audio, but each of them enjoys music. I played some Ella and Joe Pass, The Girl from Ipanema, some Herb Albert, and some Beethoven Middle Quartets. We then retired to the dining room for dinner.

A couple of the guests commented on how clear the vocals sounded and marveled at the unusual turntable and corner horn speakers from 1960. For the most part, we simply chatted, enjoyed the music, and had a good time. A table top radio or Bose Wave radio would not have been the same. They are into different hobbies, but they could relate to one of mine.

For me, this hobby is not about being an audiophile or about my love of music. The system and the music are integrated into my home and it is a lifestyle. That I can enjoy it with friends and like minded hobbyists, is a big part of it, and the sharing makes it even more enjoyable. We spend our time as we please, and we are lucky to have choices.

IMG_6345.JPG

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

Based on this criteria I am neither and I thank my God.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I’m an audiophile music lover.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Based on the OP, I am 3 to 1. I could not find much on either list that describe the way I think about this stuff.

We invited some friends over last night for dinner. We made drinks at the bar and then went into the living room to talk and listen to some music. None of the guests knows anything about high end audio, but each of them enjoys music. I played some Ella and Joe Pass, The Girl from Ipanema, some Herb Albert, and some Beethoven Middle Quartets. We then retired to the dining room for dinner.

A couple of the guests commented on how clear the vocals sounded and marveled at the unusual turntable and corner horn speakers from 1960. For the most part, we simply chatted, enjoyed the music, and had a good time. A table top radio or Bose Wave radio would not have been the same. They are into different hobbies, but they could relate to one of mine.

For me, this hobby is not about being an audiophile or about my love of music. The system and the music are integrated into my home and it is a lifestyle. That I can enjoy it with friends and like minded hobbyists, is a big part of it, and the sharing makes it even more enjoyable. We spend our time as we please, and we are lucky to have choices.

@PeterA , Is there an audio purpose for the boards leaning against the walls? Respectfully asking. Thx

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I've run across this question many times on forums and in real life. We have an audio club here in Dallas and it never fails that this topic ends up under discussion several times a year whenever we meet up.

I think it is highly disingenuous to say you are purely a music lover and have the equipment we have.

And then I don't think being an audiophile is necessarily a bad thing - although it seems during conversation, everyone seems to shy away from being labeled one because of the negative connotation it might hold.

For me, and just my opinion, I think I'm an audiophile because I love to reproduce music as enjoyable as it can be. That's what makes me pursue the hobby.

Joey V, long time my friend ! For it was almost 18 years ago when we made the pilgrimage to Lawrence, Ks and Salina, Ks. Touring the Martin Logan facility and the home of Acoustic Sounds and Blue Heaven Studios. So I guess that make you and I audiophiles that love music !

Hope all is well with you !

Dave aka 'Pops'

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
People try
Well said.

Ii is unclear to me what the OP wanted to achieve with those "provocative" lists.
Who knows Al, perhaps these are lists of things that frustrate him about the hobby. I find it strange when audiophiles talk about audiophiles like they are just one way. Audiophiles are this, or audiophiles do this… it never makes sense to me because it’s easy to see when reading the things that people post just how there are clearly a range of commonalities between some but no one great set of drivers and how diverse (and dare I say rich and complex in terms of just being human and marvellously varied) we can be and yet equally problematic in how that perspective isn’t always necessarily valued or grasped.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Hello dbeau. Yes there is a definite purpose best discussed over in my system thread. They are a work in progress to alleviate the effect of the protruding fireplace on the room acoustics.
I'll go there. Much appreciated as I also have a protruding fireplace on side wall

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Who in this forum isn’t a gear head? At whatever level each is able.
Why do this at all if you‘re not deeply into music?
I mean if you’re not a music lover why would you prefer to own a stereo system that could have been a 911 or in some cases a house in Hawaii.
For me music is my drug of choice. I think this is probably true for all of us.
It alters our consciousness. My cat too, she hangs next to me wrapt.
I only wish my wife was like that. Lol.
But she does, bless her, allow me this indulgence.

My favorite music is mono recorded before 1960.
Also I guess my gear head cred is suspect because I’m totally intimidated by the prospect of a VYGER Atlantis TT. I think I would prefer the simplicity of a Model 60.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing