Aries Cerat Genus SET 25 watts integrated amplifier - on order

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Kassandra DAC MKII > I have tried on USB: Wireworld Platinum, Audioquest Diamond, Curious & Curious Evolved, Phasure Lysh MK1 and MK2, Final Touch Audio Callisto. Callisto is the best, no question.
Kassdnra DAC > Genus Integrated RCS: On interconnects I have tried Audioquest, Van Den Hull, Vovox, Final Touch Audio. Again I prefer FTA cables in my system. They give you all the detail, but without leanness or going the other way and getting too slow or coloured. It sounds as near as direct connection as I have hard.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Would be interested to hear opinions and experiences of cables and interconnects that work well with the Genus, from those who have experimented.

Cheers!

Hi,
I use NBS Omega Extreme I on the power cable and Boenicke Audio Interconnects (using Lessloss C-Marc cable with Eichmann plugs). I also have Goertz Silver foil interconnects and Vacuumstate silver foil interconnects. For speaker cables I have Eintstein " Green" speaker cables, Boenicke speaker cables (also containing Lessloss C-marc copper) and Vacuumstate copper foil. The Boenicke cables using Lessloss tech are really good with great holographic soundstage.

RSR

Jan 1, 2020
Thanks guys.

I would certainly rather a warmer/richer leaning to the presentation rather than even a hint of leanness or brightness. It kills the emotional engagement for me when it does.
Although I appreciate this is very speaker dependent.

Morricab, Is the Boenicke cable specifically adjusted to work with their speakers?

will check out the other recommendations.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks guys.

I would certainly rather a warmer/richer leaning to the presentation rather than even a hint of leanness or brightness. It kills the emotional engagement for me when it does.
Although I appreciate this is very speaker dependent.

Morricab, Is the Boenicke cable specifically adjusted to work with their speakers?

will check out the other recommendations.

No, they are not tailored to his speakers AFAIK. They are a bit richer and smoother than my silver cables and have greater 3d and soundstage depth. I can imagine the cables directly from Lessloss will offer nearly the same properties as it is exactly the same cable...only connectors are different and perhaps some outer wrapping.

RSR

Jan 1, 2020
They sound ideal for the balance I'm looking for.

My wife would also fully approve of the purchase (for a change) as I see they are Lithuanian, as is she!

Reactions: morricab

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Morricab, from what I understand the basic Boenicke cables (IC1 and S1) are very close to the LessLoss cables, but the higher (and more expensive) versions (IC/S 2 and 3) include Boenicke Audio‘s ‚secret sauce‘. Have you been able to compare the different versions?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Gemini,
No, I think I have the non "secret sauce" cables and haven't heard his latest mods.

dakabali

Dec 23, 2018
Another nice feature is a way to zero each input level, so you can equalise the sources, and even set one pair to then use the Genus in Power amp mode.

Does this "power amp mode" work only with the RCA input or also with the balanced XLR? Will this mode be activated with the Home Theatre "HT" button?

Thanks.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Does this "power amp mode" work only with the RCA input or also with the balanced XLR? Will this mode be activated with the Home Theatre "HT" button?

Thanks.

I think it works with all inputs and is activated with the HT button.

dakabali

Dec 23, 2018
I think it works with all inputs and is activated with the HT button.
Thanks @morricab. I think on most integrated the Home Theater function is RCA only, good to know the AC integrated is different.

Do you think that using the Genus as a power amp with a quality preamp (in my case it would be an Ypsilon PST100 mk2) would be a better way than operating as an integrated?

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
Hello everyone,
(would you please my bad English)

I have at present a combination made of Aries Cerat Incito preamp + YBA Signature Classic stereo amplifier (70w).

Would a possible upgrade towards an Aries Cerat Genus 25w integrated amplifier make sense
- either with my Analysis Epsilon ribbon panels (DETAILS hereafter; acoustics OK; neighbors; low to moderate levels),
- or with Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary (other system, excellent acoustics, no neighbors, may play louder, though moderate levels suit me most of the time)
?

Or would a Genus be totally overkill with both of those speakers?

You will tell me that a higher sensitivity speaker would be better. I know. But it is not in the agenda.

Many thanks,
Orfeo.

DETAILS

Analysis Epsilon ribbon panels - absolutely fabulous panels (beat all Apogee models, and are perfectly reliable):
85dB, flat impedance curve, easy to drive, 4 or 5 Ohms, linear.
crossover point of 650Hz, a common nominal impedance of 4 ohms and 86dB sensitivity, [...] With a minimum rated power requirement of 50 watts, says the manufacturer; but I listen to low to moderate levels.
The very flat impedance curve of the Omega speakers renders them friendly for high-quality, mid-powered tube amplifiers. While the U.S. importer for Analysis Audio prefers to demonstrate the speakers with 60-watt monoblock tube amplifiers in his showroom (http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/analysis-audio-omega-loudspeakers)

Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary, measured at 87dB by John Atkinson
That gentleman from Philipines trying a Genus with his Harbeth c7es; of course, it's not because this videos exists that the combination makes sense; obviously, he was experiencing:
I note that Herb Reichert used quite good amplifiers (Line Magnetic, Pass, Leben) with the Habeth M30.2 Anniversary he then evaluated as a Class A speaker. The M30.2 may look like ludicrous little British boxes, but they are really fine speakers indeed; limited for sure, but they play just right (if not in the same league at all as Analysis ribbon panels).

Some context:
I heard the Genus with the excellent high efficiency 93dB swiss speakers Stenheim Alumine Two, alas in bad conditions (audio show). It was remarkable, though the system's setup was not totally my taste. It was the only occasion I heard the Genus.

Then I heard the whole Aries Cerat system with the Conceros amplifiers in Aries Cerat's room in Belgium some years ago, at a time the importer had no distributor yet ( = Aries Cerat Symphonia horn speaker + Kassandra + Incito preamp + Concero)
That was by far very the best sound of all my life. I confidently can say that I had NEVER heard such a thing before, neither thought that it was just possible... (I attend classical concerts, which are my only reference, and this makes me insanely demanding with my hifi...).

So I know what AC is capable of, in absolute terms; though I have thus never fully digged into the Genus' potential...

Practically, on the other side,
my Incito preamp + YBA combo would partly finance the Genus. But only partly. Then I get a 67Kg tank ( = the Genus) that I cannot move alone...

PS: Wow, this website's ergonomy has still further improved; it is really terrific, a pleasure to use - great job my friends !! Thanks!

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello everyone,
(would you please my bad English)

I have at present a combination made of Aries Cerat Incito preamp + YBA Signature Classic stereo amplifier (70w).

Would a possible upgrade towards an Aries Cerat Genus 25w integrated amplifier make sense
- either with my Analysis Epsilon ribbon panels (DETAILS hereafter; acoustics OK; neighbors; low to moderate levels),
- or with Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary (other system, excellent acoustics, no neighbors, may play louder, though moderate levels suit me most of the time)
?

Or would a Genus be totally overkill with both of those speakers?

You will tell me that a higher sensitivity speaker would be better. I know. But it is not in the agenda.

Many thanks,
Orfeo.

DETAILS

Analysis Epsilon ribbon panels - absolutely fabulous panels (beat all Apogee models, and are perfectly reliable):
85dB, flat impedance curve, easy to drive, 4 or 5 Ohms, linear.
crossover point of 650Hz, a common nominal impedance of 4 ohms and 86dB sensitivity, [...] With a minimum rated power requirement of 50 watts, says the manufacturer; but I listen to low to moderate levels.
The very flat impedance curve of the Omega speakers renders them friendly for high-quality, mid-powered tube amplifiers. While the U.S. importer for Analysis Audio prefers to demonstrate the speakers with 60-watt monoblock tube amplifiers in his showroom (http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/analysis-audio-omega-loudspeakers)

Harbeth M30.2 40th Anniversary, measured at 87dB by John Atkinson
That gentleman from Philipines trying a Genus with his Harbeth c7es; of course, it's not because this videos exists that the combination makes sense; obviously, he was experiencing:
I note that Herb Reichert used quite good amplifiers (Line Magnetic, Pass, Leben) with the Habeth M30.2 Anniversary he then evaluated as a Class A speaker. The M30.2 may look like ludicrous little British boxes, but they are really fine speakers indeed; limited for sure, but they play just right (if not in the same league at all as Analysis ribbon panels).

Some context:
I heard the Genus with the excellent high efficiency 93dB swiss speakers Stenheim Alumine Two, alas in bad conditions (audio show). It was remarkable, though the system's setup was not totally my taste. It was the only occasion I heard the Genus.

Then I heard the whole Aries Cerat system with the Conceros amplifiers in Aries Cerat's room in Belgium some years ago, at a time the importer had no distributor yet ( = Aries Cerat Symphonia horn speaker + Kassandra + Incito preamp + Concero)
That was by far very the best sound of all my life. I confidently can say that I had NEVER heard such a thing before, neither thought that it was just possible... (I attend classical concerts, which are my only reference, and this makes me insanely demanding with my hifi...).

So I know what AC is capable of, in absolute terms; though I have thus never fully digged into the Genus' potential...

Practically, on the other side,
my Incito preamp + YBA combo would partly finance the Genus. But only partly. Then I get a 67Kg tank ( = the Genus) that I cannot move alone...

PS: Wow, this website's ergonomy has still further improved; it is really terrific, a pleasure to use - great job my friends !! Thanks!
While perhaps not the absolute best match for a Genus, the huge reserve power of the Genus still can drive relatively inefficient speakers extremely well. We ran one year at a show the Genus with the small and inefficient Boenicke W5 and had people's jaws on the floor and looking around for the hidden subwoofers (there weren't any...). As long as your room isn't huge and your tastes aren't live concert levels it can do wonders for otherwise sluggish sounding speakers.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Agree. But SET + efficient speakers leads to audio heaven IMO. Massive dynamics (real world live sound) have a huge impact on the live illusion that you can get on a SOTA domestic audio system. TBH the Genus is a steal for the performance it provides.... I have an 845 Genus coming in soon, as well as the Helena DAC (the 'baby' DAC). These 2 provide an unbeatable performance v price ratio, quite an incredible pair.

Sgfield23

Nov 23, 2019
Agree. But SET + efficient speakers leads to audio heaven IMO. Massive dynamics (real world live sound) have a huge impact on the live illusion that you can get on a SOTA domestic audio system. TBH the Genus is a steal for the performance it provides.... I have an 845 Genus coming in soon, as well as the Helena DAC (the 'baby' DAC). These 2 provide an unbeatable performance v price ratio, quite an incredible pair.
Hi there, I wondered if you have the 845 Genus with you yet, and have you compared to the original with 813 tubes? I currently have the lovely Kassandra Ref ii, next step would be to add the Genus, replacing my Ayon triton iii.

BTW I see you are the Spanish dealer/distributer For AC, so if there was an ex demo unit around I’d definitely be interested. I ‘m in the UK.

Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and best regards,

Gary

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hello Gary
Thank you for your interest in the Genus.
it is best to talk to the UK distributors, I can supply to Spain, and non distributor zones, but you have on in the UK.
Sorry
Julian

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Hi ,
I allow myself to intervene late because this discussion on the AC Genus amplifier, falls short for me, and for good reason, I plan very seriously to offer myself the Genus / Helena combo with the WVL Son speakers! Regarding the connection and power cables, according to my experiences, I will go to the Canadian manufacturer LunaCables, Black series, and Mauve series for the power cables!
These are the most natural cables I know, and therefore, which should go very well with the Aries Cerat electronics!

You should seriously look into trying LunaCables, it could be a revelation! Danny the manufacturer and Erik the sales manager are very friendly and above all give very good advice!

Good weekend to all !

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
On the face of it It would appear not … however I think that you would be best enquiring via an AC dealer whether placing a ‘Special’ order might still be an option.

Reactions: hairyderriere

Mblu

Feb 17, 2021
I have the Helene, and might be interested in the Genus.
The various versions of the Genus are nevertheless a bit confusing : 813 / 845, integrated / power amp only. When I see the creativity in the entire amplification product line, it gives me the impression that a given version rapidly becomes “obsolete” in terms of resale.
I think the current version is an integrated amplifier. How good is it compared to adding a good preamplifier to the power amp version ? Either AC or other brand of preamp ? (I have an excellent PBN Olympia preamp) Are there pre-amp input in the integrated, enabling a later upgrade with an incito S for example ?
thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing