Aries Cerat Genus SET 25 watts integrated amplifier - on order

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
The various versions of the Genus are nevertheless a bit confusing : 813 / 845, integrated / power amp only
Perhaps I might be of some assistance here … Genus is the 25w integrated amplifier within the Prestige range which on inception and for some years utilised one 813 DHT valve per channel in the output stage , the current production Genus is in essence the same integrated design now utilising an Elrog 845 DHT per channel , the mono block amplifiers in the Prestige range are the Concero 25 W which again on inception and production utilised an 814 valve as the driver for an 813 output stage valve , the current production Concero 25 as per the integrated now utilises an Elrog 845 in the output stage in place of the previous 813.

There is no pre-amp input functionality built into the Integrated Genus , however one does acquire an excellent integrated Headamp out with this type.

Last edited:

hairyderriere

Aug 19, 2018
Why was the change made? The Elrog 845 is much more expensive than the 813.

Presumably the change was in order to retain exclusivity for the upper echelon models?

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
I have the 813 version of the Concerto 25 coming in a few weeks. This is the standard version being imported to the US and CA by Worldwide Wholesales, the distributor. It is a special order from the factory but it is the only version sonically the distributor wanted to import.

Reactions: hairyderriere

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have the 813 version of the Concerto 25 coming in a few weeks. This is the standard version being imported to the US and CA by Worldwide Wholesales, the distributor. It is a special order from the factory but it is the only version sonically the distributor wanted to import.
The 813 Genus sounds wonderful …you will like it.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Very much interested in this piece, but the price inflation on this unit has been insane. Current MSRP in U.S is between $28-30K.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
Very much interested in this piece, but the price inflation on this unit has been insane. Current MSRP in U.S is between $28-30K.
[please forgive my poor English]

Even at that price, it is quite possible that the Aries Cerat Genus outperforms the €34K Audio Note Kondo Overture, as the Aries Cerat Diana was compared in direct A/B comparison by one of my French contact, who recounted me extensively on the phone what he heard: much more real presence of the performers in front of him with the Diana !
Of course, the Diana is an even better integrated amplifier than the Genus, but it was qualified by my contact as significantly better than the AN Overture. So, the Genus might outperform the €34K Audio Note Kondo Overture, as the Diana reportedly does, by a large margin.

And, sure, the new Protos is to be considered too, as suggested by Audio Addict.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Argonaut

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
[please forgive my poor English]

Even at that price, it is quite possible that the Aries Cerat Genus outperforms the €34K Audio Note Kondo Overture, as the Aries Cerat Diana was compared in direct A/B comparison by one of my French contact, who recounted me extensively on the phone what he heard: very much real presence of the performers in front of him with the Diana !
Of course, the Diana is an even better integrated amplifier than the Genus, but it was qualified by my contact as significantly better than the AN Overture. So, the Genus might outperform the €34K Audio Note Kondo Overture, as the Diana reportedly does, by a large margin.

And, sure, the new Protos is to be considered too, as suggested by Audio Addict.
I have had Genus, Diana and Diana Forte with Incito and Impera and my favorite was Diana with Impera. Genus is very much cut from the same cloth but a bit less of everything. Still, I have no doubt the perceived gap with the Overture will be similar to what your friend described. That’s because you don’t notice where Genus is a bit behind unless you compare directly as the character is very much the same. I heard Protos in Munich and it has the same authority and weight but could be even more transparent.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions but these amps were more appealling when the price was more in the $20K range. At the price point they are currently at, I would rather consider the new Gryphon 333 or an Aavik integrated.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for the suggestions but these amps were more appealling when the price was more in the $20K range. At the price point they are currently at, I would rather consider the new Gryphon 333 or an Aavik integrated.
That logic to me does not compute. Gryphon and Aavik are a fundamentally different in sound from Aries Cerat and why one would consider those if not AC is baffling.
It’s like wanting to have Wagyu beef and finding it too expensive for what it is and then saying, “ Since I find Wagyu beef too expensive I will buy the finest sea weed instead because it’s in my price range!”

A beef eater would not substitute beef for seaweed and a SET listener would not substitute for Class AB PP SS!

Reactions: Golum

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
In a sense you are right; I was looking for something different. I already have a solid state system that I'm happy with. I was looking at AC as more of a backup system to change flavor on occasion and take advantage of my efficient speakers. While I very much like tubes; I prefer the sound of SS amplification. I can manage under $20K for a play around back up system; but above that price point then I'm actually considering a main system component (not backup) and that's why I brought up my preferred SS brands.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In a sense you are right; I was looking for something different. I already have a solid state system that I'm happy with. I was looking at AC as more of a backup system to change flavor on occasion and take advantage of my efficient speakers. While I very much like tubes; I prefer the sound of SS amplification. I can manage under $20K for a play around back up system; but above that price point then I'm actually considering a main system component (not backup) and that's why I brought up my preferred SS brands.
I think if you got the AC amp, you would not prefer SS any longer. Just IMHO.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I think if you got the AC amp, you would not prefer SS any longer. Just IMHO.
That is very possible; I just need to hear it in person first before I can make commitment. AC product demos are very difficult to come by here in the states.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing