Arrakis 2

Cello Audio Palette? Looks like Levinsons/Colangelo's favorite F-Dyne caps :)

Okay...but what happens if a US citizen buys Gryphon in Canada can it be brought across the border into the US?? What about warranty issues arise???

Cheers,

Certainly it can be brought across border. Only question is if Gryphon would allow them to sell into the US. Warranty is from the company, not the importer.

Hello, Gary. If memory serves me correctly, that is a parametric EQ.

Tom

Certainly it can be brought across border. Only question is if Gryphon would allow them to sell into the US. Warranty is from the company, not the importer.

Hmmmm, well, I will not try it as I received a reply from Mr Flemming Rasmussen himself stating that until the US establishes a new distributor (which they were desperately trying to do ASAP due to a large number of potential American customers) that no dealer would be allowed to sell to a US audiophile and that there would be no warranty coverage...as much as can be gleaned from an e-mail, he seemed genuinely sad that he could not help me......

Cheers,

Hmmmm, well, I will not try it as I received a reply from Mr Flemming Rasmussen himself stating that until the US establishes a new distributor (which they were desperately trying to do ASAP due to a large number of potential American customers) that no dealer would be allowed to sell to a US audiophile and that there would be no warranty coverage...as much as can be gleaned from an e-mail, he seemed genuinely sad that he could not help me......

Cheers,

Basically, the risk you are taking is on warranty...ie, if it breaks, you have to pay for the repairs. Many of us take that risk when we buy second hand as the warranty is sometimes not transferable, or the unit is old. Paying brand new and having to pay for repairs is not fun...but if you buy second hand, I suppose you are at least getting an attractive discount. There are 1 or 2 Gryphon Colosseums available from dealers on AGon.

I also thought it was the Cello Audio Palette, an EQ device.

Lee

Yes. I still own the acrylic cart, although I sold mine long ago. As a line stage preamplifier it sounded full bodied and detailed, although some reviewers found it colored. Funny that it is being used with long Transparent OPUS cables, not the mandatory almost Cello strings.

Cheers,

That's too bad. I wonder why the Canadian importer just doesn't take on the US or is there more to the story?

Yes. I still own the acrylic cart, although I sold mine long ago. As a line stage preamplifier it sounded full bodied and detailed, although some reviewers found it colored. Funny that it is being used with long Transparent OPUS cables, not the mandatory almost Cello strings.

I think that's one piece that would be served by listening to it today in our current audio systems if my experience with the "new" Cello Encore amps is any indication.

I also thought it was the Cello Audio Palette, an EQ device.

Lee

It's a give away if you look at the top, not the bottom picture :)

Gryphon warranty is covered by the dealer or the distributor. Gryphon provides warranty support to the distributor so he can support the dealer that supports the Gryphon owner. A dealer selling in to another country can not provide a acceptable support and warranty that meet Gryphons requirements to distributors or dealers. Gryphon dealers are not allowed to sell products without warranty against any discount. ( info from Gryphons website and manuals ) Gryphon has a repair center in USA, they can handle repairs of second hand units, but can not offer voltage conversions or warranty repairs. ( ref. Gryphon dealer list and FAQ in website )

Gryphon warranty is covered by the dealer or the distributor. Gryphon provides warranty support to the distributor so he can support the dealer that supports the Gryphon owner. A dealer selling in to another country can not provide a acceptable support and warranty that meet Gryphons requirements to distributors or dealers. Gryphon dealers are not allowed to sell products without warranty against any discount. ( info from Gryphons website and manuals ) Gryphon has a repair center in USA, they can handle repairs of second hand units, but can not offer voltage conversions or warranty repairs. ( ref. Gryphon dealer list and FAQ in website )

Hmm, if true and no reason to doubt you, seems like Gryphon's own policies are the culprit here...I've read other posts, again unsure if true, that Gryphon soured on the US market place after a loaner or two wasn't returned...maybe someone has more info?

Gryphon had some bad luck years ago, with their US distributor folding and vanishing, then their NY warehouse burned with many products lost in the fire. A poor comeback was attempted via a Chicago dealer but with no real success. ( Gryphons 25 year anniversary book explains what happened ).
Gryphons policy on preventing sales in countries with no warranty support, is in fact protecting potential Gryphon buyers from ending in a poor situation. This is not a Gryphon policy for USA, but applies to all countries where the company is not represented, so there is no reason to believe that Gryphon has soured on the US market but they are most likely ( perhaps to much ) cautious not to repeat more failure.

That's too bad. I wonder why the Canadian importer just doesn't take on the US or is there more to the story?

Maybe because it is a gazillion miles from Canada to the west coast and the Gulf Coat and the lower Florida coast....LOTS of territory to cover as if Canada is not big enough???

Cheers,

Gryphon had some bad luck years ago, with their US distributor folding and vanishing, then their NY warehouse burned with many products lost in the fire. A poor comeback was attempted via a Chicago dealer but with no real success. ( Gryphons 25 year anniversary book explains what happened ).
Gryphons policy on preventing sales in countries with no warranty support, is in fact protecting potential Gryphon buyers from ending in a poor situation. This is not a Gryphon policy for USA, but applies to all countries where the company is not represented, so there is no reason to believe that Gryphon has soured on the US market but they are most likely ( perhaps to much ) cautious not to repeat more failure.

I am not worried about anything nefarious here....I knew that the people in Chicago sort of fell through but I was unaware that there was a destructive fire and loss of product.....I would sure hope that they can find an amicable ending that would bring the product back into the US, fair and square.....I am sure Gryphon would love to start selling their gear in the US again, sooner than later....

Cheers,

Andy is still using Gryphon. Boulder mates extremely well with Rockport speakers.

If you want to hear the Arrakis 2 you may have to take a road trip up to Maine.

We have a pair of Arrakis available for audition in Southern California (we are a Rockport dealer), a little closer than Maine...

We also have the Avior, Atria and Mira II.

Ken

We have a pair of Arrakis available for audition in Southern California (we are a Rockport dealer), a little closer than Maine...

We also have the Avior, Atria and Mira II.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your time. Fr those of us who remain fascinated by Arrakis and want to learn more...can you share with us your experience on room size for them? The adjustability of some speakers (X1, X2, XLF for example) provides owners of smaller listening rooms to get stunningly good results. Sure, maybe a bigger room will allow the big Wilson's to sound even better...but they at least can get down to smaller rooms and be SOTA.

I have certainly heard caution in this regard to Arrakis...and people refer to Altair. Naturally, some of us have asked if there is a minimum room size whereby even if arrakisndoes not sounds its best, it is still going to outperform an Altair just by virtue of the arrakis' many superior design attributes.

Thanks for any guidance on these magnificent speakers.

Hi, Ken.

I would also like to know the answer to Lloyd's question.

I am also interested in knowing if you would be interested in being a host to a visitor from Europe for a day in front of the Arrakis. They are not available for audition in Europe.

Hi, Ken.

I would also like to know the answer to Lloyd's question.

I am also interested in knowing if you would be interested in being a host to a visitor from Europe for a day in front of the Arrakis. They are not available for audition in Europe.

Hi Roysen,

If you are headed to Texas, let me know as I would be happy to have you spend time listening to the Arrakis at my home.

Arnie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing