As We Get Older - Hearing Aids for High End Audio/Concerts & Home Theatre

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I've got moderate hearing loss but one ear is quite different (due to stapes replacement surgery about 35 years ago). I'd not felt the urge to try any HA's until recently, especially as I've improved my audio system quite a bit. Anyway, rather than try any expensive digital tech, I'm going to give some wider bandwidth types a go. First up is this one https://www.readywearexpress.com/simplicity-hi-fi-270-hearing-aid-left-or-right/
I don't want the bells and whistles the digital ones have, and they seem more likely to ruin the sound. Guess I'll find out in short order whether to bother with HA's at all. I do have a date with my local HMO (Kaiser Permanente) to visit their department to see what they might offer.

Sddawson

Dec 13, 2018
I've got moderate hearing loss but one ear is quite different (due to stapes replacement surgery about 35 years ago). I'd not felt the urge to try any HA's until recently, especially as I've improved my audio system quite a bit. Anyway, rather than try any expensive digital tech, I'm going to give some wider bandwidth types a go. First up is this one https://www.readywearexpress.com/simplicity-hi-fi-270-hearing-aid-left-or-right/
I don't want the bells and whistles the digital ones have, and they seem more likely to ruin the sound. Guess I'll find out in short order whether to bother with HA's at all. I do have a date with my local HMO (Kaiser Permanente) to visit their department to see what they might offer.
It will be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Simplicity. It sounds like it’s geared towards music!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Before I took back the Phonak Marvel HAs the other day, I went through each instrumental track of a great hi-rez demo disc with HAs in and out:

https://www.hdtracks.com/audiophile-hi-res-system-test

I heard everything fine without the HAs! NICE! I think I am feeling so much better now than those last few months of 2018; and I have become a better listener and perhaps retrained my brain to pay more attention to sounds like higher frequency instruments than before. And I can even hear some at 12.5 kHz test tone. I noticed that at 10 kHz test tone that it actually seemed louder without the HAs!

I discussed this with my Audiologist. My theory is:

1. I am CRAZY!
2. Even though my recent hearing test is similar to before, I am much healthier now and my ear/brain is processing so much better; and I have trained myself to better discern higher frequencies and placement of sounds than before.
3. #2 but I am still CRAZY!

My Audiologist was simply being nice to me and said she thought #2 was applicable.

Now at 66, I will see the ENT Dr Gonzalez once annually to have my ears cleaned, and see my Audiologist Lainie Hales, Au.D., both at Valley ENT in Mesa also annually to get my hearing retested. I highly recommend both of them! What's really nice is Dr. Hales has recognized all along that I am OCD on this audiophile stuff and she was very interested in all of my feedback on demoing the hearing aids and actually happy for me that my hearing/interpretation of what I hear has so remarkably improved since the last few months of 2018.

And keep in mind I am not TOTALLY CRAZY! The last few months of 2018, without HAs I could only half hear a 8 kHz test tone and nothing at 10 kHz and with HAs I could hear 8 kHz more fully and even 10 kHz maybe at half, nothing beyond. Now without HAs I can hear 8 kHz and 10 kHz clearly and even hear 12.5 kHz partially!

ANd I am so enjoying my recent change of SSPs from Theta Casablanca IVA SSP (had the Theta with upgrades since 1997) to Trinnov Altitude 32, the latter ROON Ready (ethernet) and using Auro-3D (playing stereo using entire multi-channel audio system) I am listening at closer to real concert levels and it sounds so much better than ever that I am having a hard time leaving my audiophile home theatre where I am listening and listening to so much music!

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1

mopa5002

May 10, 2019
It will be very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Simplicity. It sounds like it’s geared towards music!
Thanks for sharing Steve. Very informative. This is a concern for all of us now or eventually.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing